Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

19-hour layover at Shanghai Pudong International Airport?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2024, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG

I'm looking at a fare that gets me to PVG at 22:05 and leaves at 17:15 the next day. I do have a Chinese visa, but in this situation, I think I rather stay airside. Is this possible? What's the process like with transit security?

I'm also an STE+. Any lounge or place where I can shower? Are they open 24 hours? I'm not worried about free WiFi or not as I'll be roaming with my T-Mobile connection. This might be a good opportunity to walk around and get to know PVG.
Old Feb 14, 2024, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lsquare
I'm looking at a fare that gets me to PVG at 22:05 and leaves at 17:15 the next day. I do have a Chinese visa, but in this situation, I think I rather stay airside. Is this possible? What's the process like with transit security?

I'm also an STE+. Any lounge or place where I can shower? Are they open 24 hours? I'm not worried about free WiFi or not as I'll be roaming with my T-Mobile connection. This might be a good opportunity to walk around and get to know PVG.
Go to a hotel, PVG isn’t SIN.
moondog, YuropFlyer and lsquare like this.
Old Feb 14, 2024, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
Go to a hotel, PVG isn’t SIN.
That's always a possibility. However, for the sake of this thread, can we discuss the viability of my plan?
Old Feb 14, 2024, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's always a possibility. However, for the sake of this thread, can we discuss the viability of my plan?
it’s not viable
moondog and YuropFlyer like this.
Old Feb 14, 2024, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

it’s not viable
Care to explain?
Old Feb 14, 2024, 7:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Care to explain?
Well, PVG is a sad place even during its most bustling hours, and your idea entails actually spending the night there with nothing but vending machines to keep you company.
Old Feb 14, 2024, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I was at PVG in January 2024, but sadly didn't spend any time by the gate or really anywhere airside except for the CX lounge. As soon as I cleared exit immigration, I headed straight to the CX lounge.

So I'm hoping anyone who has spent time outside of a lounge at PVG airside, if I can stay inside from 22:05 to 17:15 the following day. Are there any outlets to charge my phones? Any lounge that's opened during the middle of the night?

Thank you.
Old Feb 14, 2024, 8:15 pm

There are definitely power outlets around, and you wouldn't have to compete for access.

Tmk, none of the T1 lounges are officially open between 11p and 6a. And, the same goes for pretty much all retail unless you count vending machines.
Old Feb 14, 2024, 8:39 pm

You don't need to limit yourself to the Dazhong btw. In fact, since you're not leaving until 5p the next day, you'll have ample opportunity to have fun.

I think this is the current airport bus schedule (basically, most of the numbered lines run until 11p and then there is a night bus that makes many stops):

?????????????

After all these years, I still maintain that #2 is the most useful/efficient for most people who want to go into Shanghai.
YuropFlyer and Kmxu like this.
Old Feb 14, 2024, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

It doesn't seem like anyone wants to give more concrete details and tips. Looks like I might have to buy the ticket and figure this out myself.
Old Feb 15, 2024, 1:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It doesn't seem like anyone wants to give more concrete details and tips. Looks like I might have to buy the ticket and figure this out myself.
Nobody, except you apparently, would dream of attempting this so you’re not going to get much feedback on your plans from people “in the know”.

I know from flying through PVG as my home airport 40-50 times a year that it sucks and I try to spend less than an hour and a half there from arrival to boarding, less if possible.
csycsycsy likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2024, 2:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Nobody, except you apparently, would dream of attempting this so you’re not going to get much feedback on your plans from people “in the know”.

I know from flying through PVG as my home airport 40-50 times a year that it sucks and I try to spend less than an hour and a half there from arrival to boarding, less if possible.
I didn't have a problem spending three hours at the CX lounge last month. I enjoy spending my time at decent lounges.
Old Feb 15, 2024, 7:29 am

Programs: MU Platinum, HH Diamond
I didn't have a problem spending three hours at the CX lounge last month. I enjoy spending my time at decent lounges.
Spending 19 hours at PVG sounds like torture to me, even with the best lounges. PVG, and PVG lounges, suck. Travellinman, Moondog, and I have lived in Shanghai for over 20 years, each.

If you were 19 years old and want to make a TikTok video out of it, all the power to you, but if you want to minimize pain I would advise against this idea.
Old Feb 15, 2024, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YariGuy
Spending 19 hours at PVG sounds like torture to me, even with the best lounges. PVG, and PVG lounges, suck. Travellinman, Moondog, and I have lived in Shanghai for over 20 years, each.

If you were 19 years old and want to make a TikTok video out of it, all the power to you, but if you want to minimize pain I would advise against this idea.
This actually crossed my mind.
Old Feb 15, 2024, 9:56 am

This actually crossed my mind.
I was thinking along the lines of one of those Josh Cahill YT videos in which he manages to get himself detained in an airport (through a combination of previous overstays and simply being obnoxious to the officials who would obviously prefer to get him out of their hair if he only let them) and then .....es and moans about hardships and injustices before attempting to get rest on the least comfortable bank of chairs in the room under the cover of his shabbiest garments ("it's so unbelievably cold in this dungeon!"). I'm only a little ashamed to admit that this schtick is more entertaining than vlogs of guys downing copious amounts of champagne on some exotic airline.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.