Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Help/suggestions with planning a trip to China (tour)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help/suggestions with planning a trip to China (tour)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2024, 8:39 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by mlin32
I find the café in Asia to be médiocre in general (China no exception)....
Surprisingly, my track-record of coffee quality in Chinese hotels is pretty good so far.
Many have some quality beans running though some proper Swiss Made coffee machines.
Old Feb 4, 2024, 9:37 am
Original Poster

OK, we booked our flights and the itinerary is as such now (pushed back by a week and we also inserted yantai in between xi'an and shanghai for logistics since China Airlines doesn't fly out of Yantai... I suppose we could have considered taking a train from Yantai to Qingdao but didn't think about that until now. My wife didn't want to trouble her relatives with driving us to Qingdao - I guess taxi could have been another option. At this point though, since we already booked tickets, I think we'll just deal with it. Hopefully PVG isn't a crazy airport to fly out of :T):

3/31/24 Sunday lax to pek
4/1/24 Monday arrive in beijing (arrives at PEK at 10:55am)
4/2/24 Tuesday beijing
4/3/24 Wednesday beijing
4/4/24 Thursday beijing
4/5/24 Friday beijing to xi'an
4/6/24 Saturday xi'an
4/7/24 Sunday xi'an to yantai
4/8/24 Monday yantai
4/9/24 Tuesday yantai
4/10/24 Wednesday yantai to shanghai
4/11/24 Thursday shanghai
4/12/24 Friday shanghai to lax (flight departs PVG at 20:50)

The only thing about the # of days in Beijing is that our hotel rate skyrockets with the current # of nights (4 nights). If we cut one day there, it'll reduce our cost at least for Beijing (3 nights is just under $670~ and 4 nights pushes it to over $1000). Would you guys suggest removing a day from Beijing and re-allocating that day to Shanghai given the itinerary?
Old Feb 4, 2024, 10:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by narvik
(bolding mine)
This is pretty much a huge YMMV in my experience.
I stayed at a few big chain hotels in Langfang, Hebei recently, and whereas the Chinese breakfast selections were adequate, the Western selections were horrendous and inedible (processed, salty bacon substitute with painted-on fake 'stripes', plastic sausages, red colored sweetened baked beans, and scrambled eggs out of a bottle, etc.)

I think when they opened these hotels likely all had great offerings, but as time went on, and hardly any Westerners stayed at these hotels, and only a few locals chose the Western breakfast options, they reduced quality over time to where it's now best to avoid it at all costs.
(Coffee was also hit-'n-miss, although mostly okay.)
Since the OP is focused on the 3 most touristed cities in China, I don't think he needs to worry about breakfast quality in chain hotels, which IME is quite good (though, I'm not exactly breakfast connoisseur; I don't typically eat breakfast unless it's thrust upon me).

And, given that the OP is feeding 5 people, and morning calories could provide useful fuel for some of his ambitious excursions, I can definitely see value in hotel breakfasts.

That having been said, I personally wouldn't permit the free breakfast carrot to have too much influence in hotel selection. And, I'd also like to draw attention to the pains many FTers go through in order to maintain brand loyalty in China...many end up staying in the middle of nowhere just to be able to hang out in a lounge for 2 hours every night and sleep in a marginally larger room.

But, IHG (free breakfasts for bookings via the app) has a decent footprint in all 3 of the OP's cities, and Hilton is okay in 2 of them (e.g. the Surpass card that @YariGuy mentioned could possibly make sense for the OP's trip).
Old Feb 4, 2024, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YariGuy
Breakfasts in the chain hotels in China (or most of Asia for that matter) are big productions with a huge spread including western and Chinese selections. Breakfasts are a big draw for me. That said, I wouldn't pay for them.

I suggest you look into credit card offers that get you to the minimum status required for free breakfast, and concentrate your hotel reservations on that chain. You can even cancel right after your trip. For Hilton, that would be the Amex Surpass, which gets you gold status right away. Heck, if you put all your hotel charges on that card you'll probably spend at least $3k and trigger the 160,000 bonus points.
I ended up getting the basic a HH white amex card (no annual fee) not long ago and not really keen on dealing with annual fees if I don't have to. I don't think I would travel enough, regularly, to really take advantage of the Surpass card to justify the $150 fee. Whether it's worth the hit of a hard pull on my credit and potentially cancelling the card (and impacting my overall credit score again) is another question hahaha... this trip is one of those "once in a blue moon" trips so the amount of travel hacking I would consider doing for this seems like it would hit the point of diminishing returns rather quickly.
Old Feb 4, 2024, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moondog
Since the OP is focused on the 3 most touristed cities in China, I don't think he needs to worry about breakfast quality in chain hotels, which IME is quite good (though, I'm not exactly breakfast connoisseur; I don't typically eat breakfast unless it's thrust upon me).

And, given that the OP is feeding 5 people, and morning calories could provide useful fuel for some of his ambitious excursions, I can definitely see value in hotel breakfasts.

That having been said, I personally wouldn't permit the free breakfast carrot to have too much influence in hotel selection. And, I'd also like to draw attention to the pains many FTers go through in order to maintain brand loyalty in China...many end up staying in the middle of nowhere just to be able to hang out in a lounge for 2 hours every night and sleep in a marginally larger room.

But, IHG (free breakfasts for bookings via the app) has a decent footprint in all 3 of the OP's cities, and Hilton is okay in 2 of them (e.g. the Surpass card that @YariGuy mentioned could possibly make sense for the OP's trip).

Yea, those are good points about the breakfast - it's not necessarily that it needs to be "free" but if we have the option and even if we pay for it (given that the cost is somewhat reasonable) then I wouldn't mind. The bigger issue is the hotel location but part of what factors into that is what restaurants or eateries are nearby the hotel (if breakfast isn't free and if it's actually quite expensive) - I'd want to be in a location where there are going to be good options within short or reasonable walking distance from the hotel for eating meals anytime of the day if that's the case.
Old Feb 4, 2024, 10:42 am

I'm guessing you can get the first year AF waived on Surpass, but free breakfasts for one trip plus the SUB wouldn't motivate me to use a hard pull.
Old Feb 4, 2024, 6:50 pm

Programs: MU Platinum, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jplee3
Yea, those are good points about the breakfast - it's not necessarily that it needs to be "free" but if we have the option and even if we pay for it (given that the cost is somewhat reasonable) then I wouldn't mind. The bigger issue is the hotel location but part of what factors into that is what restaurants or eateries are nearby the hotel (if breakfast isn't free and if it's actually quite expensive) - I'd want to be in a location where there are going to be good options within short or reasonable walking distance from the hotel for eating meals anytime of the day if that's the case.
Even though I said I enjoy hotel breakfasts, if it wasn't free, there's no way I'd pay. These types of hotels usually charge around $30 per person. For that cost you would be able to feast on a big Chinese breakfast for your whole family outside the hotel.
moondog and narvik like this.
Old Feb 4, 2024, 6:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YariGuy
Even though I said I enjoy hotel breakfasts, if it wasn't free, there's no way I'd pay. These types of hotels usually charge around $30 per person. For that cost you would be able to feast on a big Chinese breakfast for your whole family outside the hotel.

The breakfast option adds $33 per day for the room but I put 4 guests so presumably it's $33 extra for all four of us...?
Old Feb 4, 2024, 7:13 pm

The breakfast option adds $33 per day for the room but I put 4 guests so presumably it's $33 extra for all four of us...?
If you're booking room and board via the travel agency, that sort of makes sense. But, if you're booking directly with hotels or an OTA, 2 breakfasts per room is more normal...free (or deeply discounted) breakfasts for kids is also common though.
Old Feb 4, 2024, 7:18 pm
Original Poster

If you're booking room and board via the travel agency, that sort of makes sense. But, if you're booking directly with hotels or an OTA, 2 breakfasts per room is more normal...free (or deeply discounted) breakfasts for kids is also common though.
Oh I see. Yes, this is directly off the Hilton website. I think I saw "kids eat free" on some websites (I might be thinking of Holiday Inn actually) but I don't see it for the Hilton Wangfujing. Maybe it's just something they offer there though?
Old Feb 5, 2024, 12:55 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
So for Beijing:
Day 1 - Arrive in Beijing. Take a taxi (you have luggage) from the airport. Arriving at 11 AM, you should be out around noon or so. There shouldn't be much traffic around that time.
After arriving at the hotel, check in, go have lunch.
After lunch, go to Temple of Heaven Park (2 subway stops away from your hotel, if I found your hotel correctly.).
Take a didi to Qianmen and walk around there.
Have dinner at a Beijing duck restaurant (Jingchen Roast Duck 京城九门轩烤鸭店 is a good option. You may want to ask help from the hotel to make reservations.
Otherwise, have a good dinner at a Xinjian restaurant, not too far from your hotel 京城九门轩烤鸭店
Code:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Zhunga'er+Restaurant/@39.8813817,116.443335,15z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x940652b9586184a9?sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjQ-IiJ25OEAxXhka8BHTw7D5wQ_BJ6BAgLEAA
Day 2 - walk the central axis
You already did Qianmen - so skip that and go to Tiananmen Sq and then to Forbidden City. You need to get the Forbidden city tickets in advance either directly using wechat or through an OTA like Trip.com. Same for visiting the Maosoleum. If you have these rezs - you can enter Tiananmen Sq, otherwise you need a free entry rez to enter the square. If you are flying through Taipei and can do a stopover for a day - I would suggest doing so and going to visit the national museum there. IMHO a lot more stuff to see than in the mainland. You mention your wife speaks Mandarin. If she's a Chinese national she will not be able to fly Mainland - TPE - US (there's a whole thread on this).

Your plan for the day:
Tiananmen Square > Tiananmen > Forbidden City > Jingshan Park > NanLouguXiang (S Lougu St) > Drum Tower > HouHai.
Have a Beijing hotpot lunch somewhere in the surrounding hutongs around Nanlouguxian.

After lunch, take line 8 (or a taxi) up to Olympic park and walk the rest of the central axis from the Olympic Park up to the Forest Park.

Find somewhere to have dinner up near olympic park. Take the metro back to your hotel.

Day 3 - Great wall. If you have a guide - see if you can do a hike on a wild section of the wall. Much better than a touristy one. Depends on how old your kids are. Mutianyu is not easy to get to by public transport - so you need a driver.

Day 4 - Summer palace. Then train to Xian. The train leaves from Beijing West. If you're with a guide and driver, may be worth having to have them store bags in the car after you check out of the hotel. There are a few 4h11m trains - one at 3PM, arriving at 9PM and another at 7 PM, arriving at 11 PM. Other trains are 5h+. I also second the suggestion to get a first class seat.

FYI - Beijing to Yantai is around 3h by train. So maybe a better way to organize the trip is fly into Xian, then Beijing, then Yantai, then Shanghai?
If you want to throw HK into the mix, then HK>Xian>BJ>Yantai>SH?

One more thought - Qingdao is not far from Yantai -1h by train- and may be worth a day trip from Yantai (together with your wife's family?).
Old Feb 5, 2024, 9:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Palal
So for Beijing:
Day 1 - Arrive in Beijing. Take a taxi (you have luggage) from the airport. Arriving at 11 AM, you should be out around noon or so. There shouldn't be much traffic around that time.
After arriving at the hotel, check in, go have lunch.
After lunch, go to Temple of Heaven Park (2 subway stops away from your hotel, if I found your hotel correctly.).
Take a didi to Qianmen and walk around there.
Have dinner at a Beijing duck restaurant (Jingchen Roast Duck 京城九门轩烤鸭店 is a good option. You may want to ask help from the hotel to make reservations.
Otherwise, have a good dinner at a Xinjian restaurant, not too far from your hotel 京城九门轩烤鸭店
Code:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Zhunga'er+Restaurant/@39.8813817,116.443335,15z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x940652b9586184a9?sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjQ-IiJ25OEAxXhka8BHTw7D5wQ_BJ6BAgLEAA
Day 2 - walk the central axis
You already did Qianmen - so skip that and go to Tiananmen Sq and then to Forbidden City. You need to get the Forbidden city tickets in advance either directly using wechat or through an OTA like Trip.com. Same for visiting the Maosoleum. If you have these rezs - you can enter Tiananmen Sq, otherwise you need a free entry rez to enter the square. If you are flying through Taipei and can do a stopover for a day - I would suggest doing so and going to visit the national museum there. IMHO a lot more stuff to see than in the mainland. You mention your wife speaks Mandarin. If she's a Chinese national she will not be able to fly Mainland - TPE - US (there's a whole thread on this).

Your plan for the day:
Tiananmen Square > Tiananmen > Forbidden City > Jingshan Park > NanLouguXiang (S Lougu St) > Drum Tower > HouHai.
Have a Beijing hotpot lunch somewhere in the surrounding hutongs around Nanlouguxian.

After lunch, take line 8 (or a taxi) up to Olympic park and walk the rest of the central axis from the Olympic Park up to the Forest Park.

Find somewhere to have dinner up near olympic park. Take the metro back to your hotel.

Day 3 - Great wall. If you have a guide - see if you can do a hike on a wild section of the wall. Much better than a touristy one. Depends on how old your kids are. Mutianyu is not easy to get to by public transport - so you need a driver.

Day 4 - Summer palace. Then train to Xian. The train leaves from Beijing West. If you're with a guide and driver, may be worth having to have them store bags in the car after you check out of the hotel. There are a few 4h11m trains - one at 3PM, arriving at 9PM and another at 7 PM, arriving at 11 PM. Other trains are 5h+. I also second the suggestion to get a first class seat.

FYI - Beijing to Yantai is around 3h by train. So maybe a better way to organize the trip is fly into Xian, then Beijing, then Yantai, then Shanghai?
If you want to throw HK into the mix, then HK>Xian>BJ>Yantai>SH?

One more thought - Qingdao is not far from Yantai -1h by train- and may be worth a day trip from Yantai (together with your wife's family?).
Great suggestions! Seems like this might work out well if we want to cut a day out of Beijing.

In terms of flights, we already have booked the flights going into PEK and then returning from PUD. Flying into Xian was something I think we looked at but decided against because pricing was too high. Is train generally preferred to flying? Our plan was to fly from Xi'an to Yantai...
Qingdao might be a good option and something my in-laws are willing to do.
In terms of my wife speaking Mandarin, she is American-born so no concerns there in terms of transiting through TPE.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 9:50 am

Flying into Xian was something I think we looked at but decided against because pricing was too high. Is train generally preferred to flying? Our plan was to fly from Xi'an to Yantai...
There are a few overnight z trains between Beijing and Xi'an that could be of interest. Between HSR and flying, I'd go for the latter both in and out of Xi'an because it's cheaper, faster, you can check bags, and you avoid dealing with train stations. However, if you're really keen on experiencing HSR, Beijing-Xi'an is probably the best candidate during your trip (shorter than the other legs and lots of trains).
Old Feb 5, 2024, 9:54 am
Original Poster

There are a few overnight z trains between Beijing and Xi'an that could be of interest. Between HSR and flying, I'd go for the latter both in and out of Xi'an because it's cheaper, faster, you can check bags, and you avoid dealing with train stations. However, if you're really keen on experiencing HSR, Beijing-Xi'an is probably the best candidate during your trip (shorter than the other legs and lots of trains).

Hmm, HSR is definitely appealing and I think we want to experience it at least once. Is there one between Yantai and Qingdao? Or even Yantai and Shanghai?
Old Feb 5, 2024, 11:39 am

Hmm, HSR is definitely appealing and I think we want to experience it at least once. Is there one between Yantai and Qingdao?
Yes, that's a high frequency intercity route (similar to Beijing-Tianjin or Nanjing-Shanghai) and takes about an hour.

Or even Yantai and Shanghai?
The fastest train on that route takes 6.5 hours, which is definitely too long for me. Qingdao (which is kind of on the way from Yantai) to Shanghai trains are as fast as 4.5 hours.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.