Reload this Page >

China 24, 72, and 144 hour Transit Without Visa ("TWOV"), 2024 onwards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 13, 2024, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: moondog
Notice: This thread pertains strictly to visa free transit.
China (the PRC) has several programs that permit travelers with most passports to transit in China without the need to obtain a visa for periods of 24, 72, or 144 hours. These policies are commonly referred to as "transit without visa", "TWOV", or "visa free transit". They have almost completely replaced transit visas, but technically aren't visas.

This thread is functionally the same as its archived predecessor:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chin...er-thread.html

What's more, the information contained in the wikipost of the previous thread is still (as of 2024) reasonably accurate. However, since that wikipost had evolved into a long and tedious read, we decided to start anew.

Following are summaries of some of the key points:

1. "transit", in the case of all TWOV policies, requires entering and exiting China directly from different countries. For example, USA-China-Japan is okay, while Japan-China-Japan is not, even if you don't actually enter Japan in either direction (i.e. LAX-TYO-SHA is regarded as TYO-SHA).

2. Hong Kong, Taiwan, and Macau are functionally regarded as separate entities for the sake of TWOV, mean routings such as Hong Kong - Shanghai - Macau are permitted.

3. 24-hour TWOV applies to most combinations of conceivable ports of entries/exits, whereas 72 and 144 TWOV is restricted to travel within specific zones (e.g. if you enter China via Shanghai, you are required to remain within the boundaries of Shanghai/Jiangsu/Zhejiang during your stay and must exit from an approved checkpoint within the same area).

4. Your first port of entry in China establishes your zone, and this is the case even for flights that make intermediate stops within China (e.g. CA154 HIJ-PEK stops in DLC, so if you want 144 TVOW, you need to terminate in Dalian and remain within Liaoning Province, and if terminate in Beijing, you'll need to depart China within 24 hours of your arrival in DLC).

5. Visitors to this thread are welcome to provide specific itineraries for us to comment on here, but we encourage you to query TIMATIC (there are numerous free TIMATIC interfaces available on the internet, some better than others) for your specific case first because approved ports change from time to time and there are some variances based on passport/citizenship.

6. In order to avail of TWOV, you should be prepared to demonstrate compliance with both your inbound transportation provider (almost certainly an airline) and at the arrival border checkpoint. Proof of onward travel within the applicable time frame (i.e. 24, 72, or 144 hours) is essential, so even if your plan is to walk across an approved land border upon exit, you may well be denied boarding if you fail to produce a confirmed onward plane/boat/bus ticket.

7. Proof of accommodation in China is not technically required, BUT reserving a hotel room, for at least the first night, is advisable because doing so preempts "where are you staying?" conversations and staying in a hotel will ensure compliance with the "all foreigners must register with a PSB within 24/72 hours" rule.

8. In some cases (e.g. daytime layovers within the same terminal facility), applicants for 24-hour TWOV might be permitted to transit, but denied permits to enter the country. There are a number of ways to minimize (or completely eliminate) the odds of being denied an entry permit.

Print Wikipost

China 24, 72, and 144 hour Transit Without Visa ("TWOV"), 2024 onwards

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2024, 4:46 am

FUK-PVG-PNH

Flew from fukuoka to Shanghai on 144 hour. It took almost 20 minutes at FUK to process through with the Japanese ticket agent. She knew the program but being Japanese was very detailed and asked for more information than was necessary.

In Shanghai the customs agents were super friendly and there was already a twov special agent on hand (about 2pm). He accidentally processed me for 24 hour until supervisor checked and saw my flight out was 6 days later, so they had to reinput the info. A handful of other passengers were also applying for twov.

Leaving shanghai no problems.

I would actually fly twov more often as it gets you out of the general foreigner line and you can process through customs faster.
uanj, narvik and criced like this.
Old Feb 8, 2024, 4:51 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by frostin
Flew from fukuoka to Shanghai on 144 hour.
Great feedback & great to hear!
Did you have hotel reservations printed out?
What info was the check-in agent at FUK so interested in seeing?
Old Feb 8, 2024, 6:04 am

Originally Posted by narvik
Great feedback & great to hear!
Did you have hotel reservations printed out?
What info was the check-in agent at FUK so interested in seeing?
Check in agent was requesting accommodation info in cambodia and a ticket out from there, which is unnecessary.

When I arrive at twov desk in china I just tell them i stay at relatives and a general block address works. Sometimes i dont even give phone number. They dont confirm. Oddly, when staying at hostel in shanghai they asked for previous address of stays in China.
narvik likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2024, 5:15 am

I'm a bit confused about TWOV flying to Japan with a “technical” stop in DLC.

I want to fly MEL-PEK-KIX / HIJ-(DLC)-PEK-MEL or visa versa. I know I can get a TWOV in Beijing on the way to/from KIX because it’s nonstop but will there be issues flying to/from HIJ even as a transit passenger (less than 24hrs) because the flight between DLC-PEK is apparently considered domestic? I know a Beijing 72hr TWOV isn’t really allowed flying HIJ-(DLC)-PEK-MEL because Liaoning Province sets my zone. But is it possible MEL-PEK-(DLC)-HIJ because my transit in DLC will be less than 24 hours?

I only want a TWOV in Beijing in one direction but would prefer it on the way to HIJ instead of KIX
Old Feb 11, 2024, 7:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

CA153 departs China from DLC, so it is not compliant with Beijing's 144-hour TWOV policy.

If you want to use that flight on the way out (from Beijing), you really can't arrive until about 11a the previous day (within 24 hours between arrival in Beijing and scheduled departure from Dalian).

Last edited by moondog; Feb 11, 2024 at 7:20 am
Old Feb 11, 2024, 3:25 pm

Soon there will be another cheap option for a 144h TWOV in or out of the greater Beijing region.

Spring Airlines will start SJW-ICN.

SJW is included in the list of Airports, but so far they did not offer nonstop flights into or out of China.

Maybe they used to before the pandemic.

There are even direct trains from Beijing to SJW Airport.

(Sorry the name of the city is a tongue twister....)
Old Feb 12, 2024, 8:53 am

Question Is onward flight confirmed as flown?

I'll be in Shanghai for four or five days next month. I'll have an onward flight to TYO, so want to use the 144h TWOV. What would happen if I end up not flying on to TYO? Would there be any problem just returning to my port of origin from PVG within the 144h period? Thanks!
Old Feb 12, 2024, 9:40 am

So you want to use the TWOV for a roundtrip to bypass normal visa requirements? That's clearly against the rules. They won't know when you arrive, so sure you can do that to get in, but they probably won't let you back into China next time when they see your ticket is returning to your original point of depature. .
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2024, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by Dakota
I'll be in Shanghai for four or five days next month. I'll have an onward flight to TYO, so want to use the 144h TWOV. What would happen if I end up not flying on to TYO? Would there be any problem just returning to my port of origin from PVG within the 144h period? Thanks!
After receiving my TWOV stamp at Pudong I got the friendly advice from the customs officer "Do not change your booking, ok". I did not because there were so many interconnected flights in and out of China the following days.
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2024, 11:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by frostin
So you want to use the TWOV for a roundtrip to bypass normal visa requirements? That's clearly against the rules. They won't know when you arrive, so sure you can do that to get in, but they probably won't let you back into China next time when they see your ticket is returning to your original point of depature. .
There's a chance that the official who @Dakota presents the "return to the point of origin" boarding pass to will offer him/her an opportunity to buy a ticket to Japan (or anywhere else) because that entails less work than initiating the fine/detention process. However, I certainly wouldn't bank on this. Furthermore, post detention, they might still enforce the third country requirement.
HkCaGu and YuropFlyer like this.
Old Feb 12, 2024, 2:11 pm

TYO is speculative. My meeting might not go ahead, obviating the need for that trip.

Does anyone have firsthand experience of this situation?
Old Feb 12, 2024, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
TYO is speculative. My meeting might not go ahead, obviating the need for that trip.

I think the collective advice here is that if you intend to TWOV you should make sure to follow the rules of the program. Failure to do so is certain to be nticed.
Old Feb 12, 2024, 3:08 pm

So, basically, if there is any risk of not flying on to the third country, get a full visa. Thanks. Good to know!

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
I think the collective advice here is that if you intend to TWOV you should make sure to follow the rules of the program. Failure to do so is certain to be nticed.
Old Feb 12, 2024, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
So, basically, if there is any risk of not flying on to the third country, get a full visa. Thanks. Good to know!
Another solution if you found you needed to change your plans would be to buy a ticket PVG-<third country>-<country of origin> ... The Chinese official at departure might be unhappy that your plans had changed but you'd still be within the rules of the program. But yes, a full visa would allow yu more flexibility.
Old Feb 12, 2024, 4:16 pm
Original Poster

​​​​​
I'm hard pressed to think of any specific examples of people who actually attempted to return to their countries of origin while in transit (most seem to catch themselves before entering the arena), but I know of numerous friends/colleagues who have been fined and/or detained as a result of visa related infractions (e.g. expired visas, miscalculated permitted days, failure to register with PSB, engaging in prohibited activities).

Three points have resonated strongly with me: 1. the data maintained at the individual level is quite extensive and readily accessible by case leads; 2. the punishment mechanisms function like a well oiled machine; and 3. dentention is orderly but most unpleasant.

I realize these things contradict the "keystone cops" stereotype we often ascribe to Chinese bureaucracy, but I've now seen enough to concede that they excel in this particular area (as well as others such as traffic law enforcement).

​​​​​​
Xyzzy, HkCaGu and Hoyaheel like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.