Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Beijing for 72hr - where to stay

Old Oct 22, 2023, 9:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Airpoints, HHONORS GOLD VIP, Aclub Gold

I'm transiting Beijing for a full 72hr (June, months away) and looking for ideas on what districts to stay, places to visit and any tips or tricks. I'm with my two pre-teens. I've been through PVG a couple so it's not my first visit to the country, I just love the place.

Keen on shopping/food/kids stuff/history/MUST DOs/anything goes. Any tour recommendations?? What's the best airport/link? (I thought the maglev in PVG was a waste of time and the metro was far superior in convenience)

Any info is welcome!!
Old Oct 24, 2023, 1:23 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Which airport are you flying into/out of?
Old Oct 24, 2023, 5:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Palal
Which airport are you flying into/out of?
sorry, Pek.
Old Oct 24, 2023, 6:17 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
- Great Wall at Mutianyu (touristy with toboggan) or Gubeikou (more wild)
- has nice fish restaurants near those two
- Universal Beijing Resort
QTFLYER likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2023, 1:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by narvik
- Great Wall at Mutianyu (touristy with toboggan) or Gubeikou (more wild)
- has nice fish restaurants near those two
- Universal Beijing Resort
District one seems to the area that comes up a lot during my research to stay. Is this correct or any other input.
Old Oct 24, 2023, 8:56 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Where to stay depends a lot on what you're planning to see. Personally, I would avoid staying near the forbidden city and would rather stay somewhere near the CBD (between east 2nd and 3rd ring road) with a good subway connection to the center (maybe along line 1 or 6?). From PEK it's airport express or taxi straight shot into the city.
QTFLYER likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2023, 5:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by QTFLYER
I'm transiting Beijing for a full 72hr (June, months away) and looking for ideas on what districts to stay, places to visit and any tips or tricks. I'm with my two pre-teens. I've been through PVG a couple so it's not my first visit to the country, I just love the place.

Keen on shopping/food/kids stuff/history/MUST DOs/anything goes. Any tour recommendations?? What's the best airport/link? (I thought the maglev in PVG was a waste of time and the metro was far superior in convenience)

Any info is welcome!!
-CBD (e.g. pick any of the 3 Shangs) is what I would do if I was in your shoes
-NE 3rd Ring is probably too far away from the important sites, and the Great Wall hotels certainly are
-Gulou is really cool, but you're dealing with mostly youth hostel style accommodations
-Don't completely rule out Wangfujjing
-I sort of like the St Regis because it is really close to Ritan, and basically halfway between the CBD and the center
QTFLYER likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.