eChannel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

eChannel

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2023, 8:39 am

Programs: DL DM, AA Lifetime Plat, IHG SE
I have now confirmed that both CAN and SZX immigration do not have desks for applying for E Channel. Still don't know when I'll enter China through a port that allows me to apply.
Old Oct 31, 2023, 1:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by mcjava
I have now confirmed that both CAN and SZX immigration do not have desks for applying for E Channel. Still don't know when I'll enter China through a port that allows me to apply.
What do you mean? Dedicated desks? At PEK I just asked when I went through normal immigration. They made me wait a bit, scattered to find someone who could help, made me sign a form agreeing to data collection, and then processed it at an empty desk. There were no special eChannel application desks.
Old Oct 31, 2023, 1:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by narvik
What do you mean? Dedicated desks? At PEK I just asked when I went through normal immigration. They made me wait a bit, scattered to find someone who could help, made me sign a form agreeing to data collection, and then processed it at an empty desk. There were no special eChannel application desks.
At a lot of airports, it's not possible to apply.
Old Nov 11, 2023, 7:06 am

Originally Posted by moondog
At a lot of airports, it's not possible to apply.
mainly the ones I've been using this year. Going to US tomorrow, back to PVG after Thanksgiving, so I'm hoping to finally get eChannel this month.
Old Nov 11, 2023, 7:09 am

I somehow imagined that would be the case, but upon landing at CAN earlier this year, they told me the only place to apply in Guangzhou is in Pazhou, where the Canton Fair is. Pretty counter-intuitive.

In SZX, similar story, but the place allowed to apply is Shenzhen Bay Port, which would be nice for flights out of HKG, but my last flight into HKG arrived 2 hours late, past Shenzhen Bay opening hours, so had to go to Huanggang and wait in line forever (as posted above, iirc).
narvik likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2023, 2:22 am
Original Poster

eChannel still working fine at PEK on exit and entry, although my thumbprint takes a while to work.

Note: the [rudimentary] secondary security screening after passport/exit check is no more.
Old Nov 14, 2023, 10:13 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium
I registered when returning last week. At PVG T1, the registration desk is just behind the eGates (don't go down to baggage claim). It took a little time but was not complicated. Last time I registered I had to complete a form, but this time they did everything for me and I just had to sign an electronic form.
Old Nov 15, 2023, 4:47 am

Programs: SK EBG, BAEC Gold
E-channel worked for me this time (Nov 13th) exiting China at PKX (Daxing) - though I had to try three different gates before finding one that could read my passport chip (embedded in a thick polycarbonate passport info "page"). Post-midnight flight (PKX-DOH) so the airport was eerily quiet (and no queues either at security or passport control/e-gates).
narvik likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2023, 1:08 am

Originally Posted by PTY1K
At PVG T1, the registration desk is just behind the eGates (don't go down to baggage claim). It took a little time but was not complicated. Last time I registered I had to complete a form, but this time they did everything for me and I just had to sign an electronic form.
I also finally got myself registered, at that same little dark brown desk behind the e-channel gates. When the guy stamped my passport, I asked "where is e-channel registration?" He said go to the little desk by the gates down "that" and ask someone. I did, and 1 minute later a guy showed up. Took photo, fingerprints, and asked me to sign on the screen. Seems I am signing an electronic entry card, giving them authority to use this electronic one instead of a paper one, therefore we're allowed to use the gates and not even talk to anyone.

Can't wait to try it upon my next exit.
narvik likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2023, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by GinFizz
E-channel worked for me this time (Nov 13th) exiting China at PKX (Daxing) - though I had to try three different gates before finding one that could read my passport chip (embedded in a thick polycarbonate passport info "page"). Post-midnight flight (PKX-DOH) so the airport was eerily quiet (and no queues either at security or passport control/e-gates).
Originally Posted by PTY1K
I registered when returning last week. At PVG T1, the registration desk is just behind the eGates (don't go down to baggage claim). It took a little time but was not complicated. Last time I registered I had to complete a form, but this time they did everything for me and I just had to sign an electronic form.
Not sure when you had registered the first time, but the system will need you to manually enter 1 time after registration I believe.

The eChannels I used only require a thumbprint for the 'door' to open.
Report:

On Dec.2, applied e-channel at PKX after flight from KIX. International arrival at PKX was pretty empty. It took 5 min to get e-channel registered.

On Dec.12, tried to use e-channel at PVG to exit China. Passport scan worked but finger print did not open the gate. I had to go to regular passport control for manual check.

One official told me that it may not work for the first time after you get e-channel approved. He asked me try next time.

Is this nonsense?
Old Dec 22, 2023, 3:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kb1992
On Dec.12, tried to use e-channel at PVG to exit China. Passport scan worked but finger print did not open the gate. I had to go to regular passport control for manual check.

One official told me that it may not work for the first time after you get e-channel approved. He asked me try next time.

Is this nonsense?
Mine worked on exit the first time after getting eChannel, but didn't work on 1st entry. YMMV.
I do find their thumb print machines are a bit, err...dodgy. Either that or my thumbprints aren't 'clean', and get too damaged from manual labor.
It takes a few goes sometimes, but eChannel has worked really well overall.
Old Jan 1, 2024, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Mine worked on exit the first time after getting eChannel, but didn't work on 1st entry. YMMV.
I do find their thumb print machines are a bit, err...dodgy. Either that or my thumbprints aren't 'clean', and get too damaged from manual labor.
It takes a few goes sometimes, but eChannel has worked really well overall.
I am returning in 10 days. Will test again :-)
narvik likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2024, 8:07 am

Just did my first time exit at Kunming (guy seemed really surprised I wouldn't listen to him and go get in line for manual processing), but photo and fingerprint both worked fine. Then return was at Guangzhou -- same thing although there was someone checking all Chinese passports before letting them go to the e-Channel side. I said "I'm registered 我有申请” and he let me pass without even scrutiny of my passport like he was doing to Chinese citizen's passports.

My fingerprints seem good -- I never have ever had to place my four fingers again on the normal print reader.
Old Jan 14, 2024, 1:48 am

Programs: MU Platinum, HH Diamond
Someone made a point on the TWOV since 2024 thread that impacts e-channel so I thought I'd bring it up here too.

I believe that itineraries and passenger manifests are reported to Chinese immigration at the point of departure. Chinese immigration then uses this info in a variety of ways, one of which is to approve entry via the e-channel. Case in point: I boarded a flight yesterday using one set of credentials, then tried to enter China via e-channel via another passport (the one registered for e-channel and that has my residence permit). I scanned my passport and was allowed into the fingerprint and facial rec check, but it wouldn't work. One of the workers came and asked me what flight I was on, clicked a few buttons on the other side, and my facial rec and thumb print went through.

This leads me to believe that e-channel checks (at least) 4 pieces of info:

1) Passport and whether you're registered for e-channel
2) Facial rec
3) Thumb print
4) Your arrival flight info

I always knew about 1-3, but 4 also makes sense... the fact that I used a different passport to board a flight meant that this info wasn't transmitted to China immigration ahead of time, and e-channel wouldn't allow me in without confirmation of #4 above.

Another implication is that China immigration can use this information to find out if someone has multiple passports, depending on what information is transmitted to China immigration by the airline.
moondog likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2024, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YariGuy
Someone made a point on the TWOV since 2024 thread that impacts e-channel so I thought I'd bring it up here too.

I believe that itineraries and passenger manifests are reported to Chinese immigration at the point of departure. Chinese immigration then uses this info in a variety of ways, one of which is to approve entry via the e-channel. Case in point: I boarded a flight yesterday using one set of credentials, then tried to enter China via e-channel via another passport (the one registered for e-channel and that has my residence permit). I scanned my passport and was allowed into the fingerprint and facial rec check, but it wouldn't work. One of the workers came and asked me what flight I was on, clicked a few buttons on the other side, and my facial rec and thumb print went through.

This leads me to believe that e-channel checks (at least) 4 pieces of info:

1) Passport and whether you're registered for e-channel
2) Facial rec
3) Thumb print
4) Your arrival flight info

I always knew about 1-3, but 4 also makes sense... the fact that I used a different passport to board a flight meant that this info wasn't transmitted to China immigration ahead of time, and e-channel wouldn't allow me in without confirmation of #4 above.

Another implication is that China immigration can use this information to find out if someone has multiple passports, depending on what information is transmitted to China immigration by the airline.
I think you might be overthinking it, I’ve gotten locked in sometimes and they had to manually come over and let me out and it was a simple one way ticket. Were you one of the first from your flight off the plane? I’ve had the locked inside and flight number question when I’m the first from my flight to enter the gates. When I was flying on an AMS-PEK-TPE ticket earlier this year and skipped the last leg, I also got through the gates with no issue when presumably I’d be marked as a transit in their system. Also, I think somehow the system is integrated nationwide and that includes the land border echannel where flight info wouldn’t apply. I doubt they segregate the system between air and land arrivals.

Anyway, most important is that it seems to be working smoothly for everyone and we can save alot of time!
moondog likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.