Wiki Posts
Search

eChannel

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2024, 6:14 pm

Programs: MU Platinum, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
I think you might be overthinking it
Perhaps. But it's fun to try to figure out how this thing works and contribute to the collective knowledge.

Were you one of the first from your flight off the plane?
I was one of the last, but probably one of the very few foreigners on this very large and full flight.

Anyway, most important is that it seems to be working smoothly for everyone and we can save alot of time!
True.
Old Jan 14, 2024, 7:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by YariGuy
I believe that itineraries and passenger manifests are reported to Chinese immigration at the point of departure.
I think you might be overthinking it, I’ve gotten locked in sometimes and they had to manually come over and let me out and it was a simple one way ticket.

Yeah, I also don't think there was anything going on with flight reporting, etc.
I've had various times when the machine needed intervention, although mostly due to bad thumbprint reading at PEK on exit.
Sometimes it just doesn't all work automatically, it seems.

But it's fun to try to figure out how this thing works and contribute to the collective knowledge.
For sure! The more we know, the better we are capable of navigating the system.

I’ve had the locked inside and flight number question when I’m the first from my flight to enter the gates.
I was one of the last, but probably one of the very few foreigners on this very large and full flight.

I've been at the eChannel machines first (by a hefty margin) a few times now on PEK entry with no one else in sight, and had no issues whatsoever.
Old Jan 17, 2024, 3:55 pm

Someone made a point on the TWOV since 2024 thread that impacts e-channel so I thought I'd bring it up here too.

I believe that itineraries and passenger manifests are reported to Chinese immigration at the point of departure. Chinese immigration then uses this info in a variety of ways, one of which is to approve entry via the e-channel. Case in point: I boarded a flight yesterday using one set of credentials, then tried to enter China via e-channel via another passport (the one registered for e-channel and that has my residence permit). I scanned my passport and was allowed into the fingerprint and facial rec check, but it wouldn't work. One of the workers came and asked me what flight I was on, clicked a few buttons on the other side, and my facial rec and thumb print went through.

This leads me to believe that e-channel checks (at least) 4 pieces of info:

1) Passport and whether you're registered for e-channel
2) Facial rec
3) Thumb print
4) Your arrival flight info

I always knew about 1-3, but 4 also makes sense... the fact that I used a different passport to board a flight meant that this info wasn't transmitted to China immigration ahead of time, and e-channel wouldn't allow me in without confirmation of #4 above.

Another implication is that China immigration can use this information to find out if someone has multiple passports, depending on what information is transmitted to China immigration by the airline.
Chinese nationals can request for a print-out of their last ten years of entry/exit records. That always includes flight information. This must have been sent by the airlines as Chinese nationals do not need to fill in entry/departure cards.
YariGuy likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2024, 5:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was the first foreigner off my flight yesterday at Hongqiao to reach the gates and I got locked in. The guy came by and asked my flight number. I told him and he punched in some code and the thumb scan worked and opened the gates.
Old Jan 23, 2024, 11:34 pm

Programs: SK EBG, BAEC Gold
Just back from a long weekend break to Thailand with my wife - with regard to e-channel certainly a "囍" (double happiness) trip, though with certain caveats ...

Worked both leaving and re-entering China - though in both directions I had to try several different gates before finding one that could scan/read my passport details. When exiting China one of the helpers at the e-channel eventually came to assist and suggested using gate #8 (she was familiar it seems with the problem) and that one worked first time trying. Coming back into China I was eventually able to scan my passport using gate #9. No idea if that was luck, but I will use those two lanes again on my next trip!
narvik likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2024, 12:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GinFizz
When exiting China one of the helpers at the e-channel eventually came to assist and suggested using gate #8 (she was familiar it seems with the problem) and that one worked first time trying. Coming back into China I was eventually able to scan my passport using gate #9. No idea if that was luck, but I will use those two lanes again on my next trip!
Which airport?

No luck scanning my passport on my PEK exit a few hours ago. Tried several stations. No go.
At least they put me through the barrier of the special [manual] lane, so no waiting.
No idea what went went wrong.
Old Jan 24, 2024, 2:49 am

Originally Posted by narvik
Which airport?

No luck scanning my passport on my PEK exit a few hours ago. Tried several stations. No go.
At least they put me through the barrier of the special [manual] lane, so no waiting.
No idea what went went wrong.
This was at PEK. I tried four different lanes at the e-channel before someone came over to help. She seemed familiar with the problem of failing to read the passport details (the screen just showing the spinning green arrow) and immediately suggested using lane #8 - which worked within seconds.

In my case I have a newly issued UK passport, where the problem could either be (just guessing here though ...) that the chip is embedded in a thick piece of polycarbonate, or that the photo-page is highly reflective (probably some security feature). It does seem though that some of the scanners work better than others.

In any case good that you were directed to the special lane, but it would be better and less stressful if this worked smoothly every time. Hope you have better luck on your return to PEK (try lane #9 - that one worked for me after trying several others) !
narvik likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2024, 3:22 am
Original Poster

In any case good that you were directed to the special lane, but it would be better and less stressful if this worked smoothly every time. Hope you have better luck on your return to PEK (try lane #9 - that one worked for me after trying several others) !

Thanks.
#8 going, #9 coming back. Definitely noted.

I must give off a bad vibe, as I wasn't really helped at all. At the first sign of my passport not scanning, I was immediately approached by someone wanting to move me to manual processing. Then, when I tried another station and that didn't working either, a different attendant just kept asking if I really did have eChannel.
Old Jan 26, 2024, 8:38 am

Programs: MU Platinum, HH Diamond
Another issue to consider for China e-channel is China's disallowance of dual citizenship. There is a lot of discussion for how Chinese citizens who also hold foreign passports to deceive or circumvent the system, and one of them is to register for e-channel so they don't get questioned by immigration. So perhaps they flag certain people, or perhaps it's random, and if the operator sees that you're obviously not a candidate for dual citizenship, they just punch a few buttons to let you through.

Based on the discussion on this reddit thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/PassportPor...tes_now_can_i/
one of the key issues is that entry via e-channel by a dual China-foreign passport holder might be fine, but what to do upon exit? China checks passports on exit as you know, and if you travel to a country that normally requires a visa for a Chinese citizen, what do you do when you show them a Chinese passport? Personally this issue isn't relevant to me as I don't have a PRC passport, but again it's an interesting intellectual exercise.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 5:00 pm
Original Poster

No issues coming back to China at PEK.

And finally printed out that entry receipt this time at the machine immediately after the eChannels. Definitley helped with a hotel stay!
(Thanks to whomever posted that...can't find the post; must be in another thread)
Old Mar 30, 2024, 4:51 am
Mandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum
Hello all,
Does anyone know if E-Channel means you can use an electronic boarding pass when departing? Most airlines refuse to issue them when departing China -- and before I had E-Channel I was turned back by the guards at PVG the one time I got one, presumably as the foreigners line stamps the BP -- but for those airlines that will issue a mobile BP, is it possible to use it with E-channel and skip check-in entirely?
Thanks for any advice! I will be exiting at PEK if that has any bearing.
Old Mar 30, 2024, 7:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I don't know the answer, but in cases stamped BPs are required at the airport, airline, or local PSB level, your plan could be problematic. And, I've always assumed that collected boarding passes get filed and retained somewhere.
Old Apr 8, 2024, 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by wk989
Hello all,
Does anyone know if E-Channel means you can use an electronic boarding pass when departing? Most airlines refuse to issue them when departing China -- and before I had E-Channel I was turned back by the guards at PVG the one time I got one, presumably as the foreigners line stamps the BP -- but for those airlines that will issue a mobile BP, is it possible to use it with E-channel and skip check-in entirely?
Thanks for any advice! I will be exiting at PEK if that has any bearing.
I am almost certain that this is a "no". At PEK and PKX the boarding pass is stamped at the security check, not the emigration counter, so even with e-channel a boarding pass is needed. Last time I exited China through PVG was maybe 15 years ago, so can't comment on current procedures there.

I am actually surprised that any airlines would issue an electronic boarding pass, as for non-Chinese citizens the airline always checks the passenger's China visa status, as well as the destination country visa (if needed), and for Chinese citizens in most cases they will need to check the destination country visa (though more visa-free options than before of course for Chinese citizens).
Old Apr 8, 2024, 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by narvik
No issues coming back to China at PEK.

And finally printed out that entry receipt this time at the machine immediately after the eChannels. Definitley helped with a hotel stay!
(Thanks to whomever posted that...can't find the post; must be in another thread)
Trip out and back from PEK: Gate #8 worked (read the passport details) first time both going out and coming back ... The entry-receipt machine is a bit temperamental - seems the trick (for my passport at least) is *not* to push the passport all the way back of the scanning area.
narvik likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2024, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am almost certain that this is a "no". At PEK and PKX the boarding pass is stamped at the security check, not the emigration counter, so even with e-channel a boarding pass is needed. Last time I exited China through PVG was maybe 15 years ago, so can't comment on current procedures there.

I am actually surprised that any airlines would issue an electronic boarding pass, as for non-Chinese citizens the airline always checks the passenger's China visa status, as well as the destination country visa (if needed), and for Chinese citizens in most cases they will need to check the destination country visa (though more visa-free options than before of course for Chinese citizens).
They’re able to do an electronic “stamp” for domestic flights so I don’t see why they couldn’t for international flights. Leaving from PVG and SHA my boarding pass is never stamped as I use the channel and there is no before immigration stamping check.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.