Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Taiwan transit ban on PRC citizens (ex-China)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Taiwan transit ban on PRC citizens (ex-China)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2024, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by percysmith
I guess in this case though, this is an exit regulation that exit immigration cannot directly enforce Does CX record passenger's dissatisfaction or misbehavior on their system?, so not surprised it's imposed on the airline.
China Eastern is acting on the instructions of NKG immigration to deny boarding to passengers who only hold a Chinese passport. They're more than happy to let them fly to PVG where the authorities do not care.
Old Feb 2, 2024, 8:38 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by tauphi
China Eastern is acting on the instructions of NKG immigration to deny boarding to passengers who only hold a Chinese passport. They're more than happy to let them fly to PVG where the authorities do not care.
To MU NKG it’s an unwanted duty imposed on them. Even if they don’t actively encourage it, they’re more than happy to facilitate avoidance, just as long as they have plausible deniability.
Old Feb 2, 2024, 9:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

To MU NKG it’s an unwanted duty imposed on them.
Historical/political significance?
Old Feb 2, 2024, 9:46 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by moondog
Historical/political significance?
If we accept MU is a commercial airline (and not a policy airline), having to enforce the govt’s version of PC/revanchism is not really their job.
Old Feb 2, 2024, 10:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If we accept MU is a commercial airline (and not a policy airline), having to enforce the govt’s version of PC/revanchism is not really their job.
Ah, so a bit like NGB-BUD?
Old Feb 22, 2024, 10:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by boat stuck
It's pretty easy to be a Wannabe Eileen these days.

Be born in the US to at least 1 Chinese citizen parent who does NOT have a green card (so in the US on a visitor's visa or work visa) at the time of your birth. You'll get a US birth certificate, a US passport, and a Chinese Travel Document (which is proof of Chinese citizenship) that can use used to enter China and get hukou and live/work in China indefinitely. It used to be that you can't get the Chinese Travel Document renewed after age 18, but recently Chinese consulates have started renewing the Chinese Travel Document regardless of the age of the applicant. So if you're born in the right circumstance, you can get and keep dual US/Chinese citizenship for life.
Can you maintain 身份证 this way if live outside China long term?
gudugan likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2024, 12:42 pm

Programs: UA 1MM
Originally Posted by italdesign
Can you maintain 身份证 this way if live outside China long term?
Yes, just go back to renew it every 10 years. The underlying hukou will stay valid forever so you can keep getting the ID card renewed.
Old Feb 23, 2024, 2:06 am

Originally Posted by boat stuck
Yes, just go back to renew it every 10 years. The underlying hukou will stay valid forever so you can keep getting the ID card renewed.
ID card validity is age-dependent. Only 16-25 year-olds get 10-year ID cards. 26-45 year-olds get 20-year cards. 46+ get cards that are valid for life.
uanj likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 8:41 am

Itinerary help for PRC citizen, overseas resident

Hi guys, just been reading through this thread and I figured you might be able to help with some Qs I had. Sorry if this is the wrong place to post, this is my first post so please bear with me!

Basically, my GF (PRC citizen with residency in the UK) and I (UK citizen) are looking into going to Hong Kong, Taiwan and the mainland (probs Shanghai) later this year and we're not sure what permits she needs to do this and what she can and cannot do. Specifically, we were thinking of the itinerary below:

London --> Hong Hong
Stay in Hong Kong a few days (less than 7 days so would transit visa be an option?)
Hong Kong ---> Taipei
Stay in Taipei for a few days, maybe travel around Taiwan a bit
Taipei ---> Shanghai
Stay in Shanghai for a few days, maybe even fly somewhere else like Xi'an or Chengdu

And then potentially Shanghai --> Hong Kong for flight back home

Is the above feasible given the current rules? If not, any suggestions how we can visit all 3 places with the least hassle for her? I presume for myself, this is relatively simple as long as I get a visa for the mainland but for her it seems super confusing.

Thanks in advance!
Old Mar 21, 2024, 9:25 am

Programs: MU Platinum, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by playcoldticket
Hi guys, just been reading through this thread and I figured you might be able to help with some Qs I had. Sorry if this is the wrong place to post, this is my first post so please bear with me!

Basically, my GF (PRC citizen with residency in the UK) and I (UK citizen) are looking into going to Hong Kong, Taiwan and the mainland (probs Shanghai) later this year and we're not sure what permits she needs to do this and what she can and cannot do. Specifically, we were thinking of the itinerary below:

London --> Hong Hong
Stay in Hong Kong a few days (less than 7 days so would transit visa be an option?)
Hong Kong ---> Taipei
Stay in Taipei for a few days, maybe travel around Taiwan a bit
Taipei ---> Shanghai
Stay in Shanghai for a few days, maybe even fly somewhere else like Xi'an or Chengdu

And then potentially Shanghai --> Hong Kong for flight back home

Is the above feasible given the current rules? If not, any suggestions how we can visit all 3 places with the least hassle for her? I presume for myself, this is relatively simple as long as I get a visa for the mainland but for her it seems super confusing.

Thanks in advance!
You're ok without any visas -- you can do TWOV in China if you enter from Taiwan and exit to somewhere else. If you go to Xi'an or Chengdu though, you will need a visa.

Your girlfriend would need a Taiwan entry permit, and probably a HK entry permit. She might get lectured in Shanghai for entering China from Taiwan with a passport, but just a lecture. She should probably just do a search on xiaohongshu.
gudugan likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 9:41 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Gold), Caesars Diamond
The above itinerary looks good. Keep in mind if you deviate from that there are a bunch of other rules that apply.

If you stay in HK less than 7 days you don't need a HK entry permit. However the rules assume you are flying from HK to a "third country" and border patrol might ask you. London > HK > Taipei should probably be fine but Shenzhen > HK > Taipei might not (you pass thru China border control then HK). Shanghai > HK > London is fine

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.