Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Best luxury hotels/resorts outside of cities in mainland?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2023, 8:00 am
Original Poster

I am currently in the mainland and was recently thinking of vacationing at Six Senses Qing Cheng Mountain, but just when I was about to book, saw that IHG benefits arent available. Currently reconsidering since that lowers the value proposition significantly for me.

So, hoping to crowdsource herewhat are your favorite luxury hotels/resorts in the mainland outside of cities? Bonus points if Marriott, IHG, or Hilton. Thanks in advance for the recommendations 😃
Old Feb 13, 2023, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by download
I am currently in the mainland and was recently thinking of vacationing at Six Senses Qing Cheng Mountain, but just when I was about to book, saw that IHG benefits arent available. Currently reconsidering since that lowers the value proposition significantly for me.

So, hoping to crowdsource herewhat are your favorite luxury hotels/resorts in the mainland outside of cities? Bonus points if Marriott, IHG, or Hilton. Thanks in advance for the recommendations 😃
The best luxury hotels and resorts are a short flight awayin Thailand or Indonesia.

Dont bother spending top dollar for luxury in China, never worth it IMHO.
download and gudugan like this.
Old Feb 14, 2023, 1:04 am

Programs: MU Platinum, HH Diamond
Agree you'll find better value and service in Thailand or the Philippines, but since that wasn't your question:
  • JW Marriott Anji. Close to Shanghai. Close to activities like rafting (though in Anji it's more like a theme park ride, but still fun). Downside is that it's a resort so doesn't have a lounge
  • Hyatt at the foot of the Great Wall. These range from rooms to whole villas. Very nice environment, and can hike to the Great Wall (I've written a review, should be in the Hyatt section)
  • Various Hainan Marriotts. These range from lower mid-tier (Four Points Wanning) to mid-tier (Sheraton Sanya) to Luxury (St. Regis / Ritz) so you have your pick. Again, these are resorts so no lounge and generally no upgrades (I got upgraded to a huge ocean-front suite though at the Four Points, on a 6-night stay no less!)
  • If you like skiing, the Hyatt Regency at Changbaishan is quite nice. Worth it to use points to book a suite. The lounge is quite nice too
download, narvik and gudugan like this.
Old Feb 14, 2023, 11:47 pm

Gotta disagree with you on the Commune at the Great Wall. Granted I went last year at off-peak season, but most facilities there were in a state of disuse or utter disrepair. Cannot recommend with any sincerity unless you're specifically looking for a place within walking distance of the Shuiguan section of the wall.

As for my own recommendations, I've stayed mostly at Hyatts here and did enjoy my time at the Park Hyatt Sanya and the Jinmao Resort Lijiang. Both are in high-traffic tourist areas but now might be the time to go, since so many Chinese travelers are letting loose their pent-up demand by hightailing it to Thailand, Indonesia, Malaysia and so forth.
Old Feb 15, 2023, 12:05 am

Programs: MU Platinum, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Cotton Candy Lobster
Gotta disagree with you on the Commune at the Great Wall. Granted I went last year at off-peak season, but most facilities there were in a state of disuse or utter disrepair. Cannot recommend with any sincerity unless you're specifically looking for a place within walking distance of the Shuiguan section of the wall.
Ok it might have gone downhill since I went in 2020. Even then there were some service issues (outlined in my review).

Sad, because it's really got a unique location.
Old Feb 15, 2023, 7:36 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Cotton Candy Lobster

As for my own recommendations, I've stayed mostly at Hyatts here and did enjoy my time at the Park Hyatt Sanya and the Jinmao Resort Lijiang. Both are in high-traffic tourist areas but now might be the time to go, since so many Chinese travelers are letting loose their pent-up demand by hightailing it to Thailand, Indonesia, Malaysia and so forth.
Anywhere but China. Got it
Old Feb 16, 2023, 3:21 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Originally Posted by download

I spent years researching this when I was stuck in the mainland! Would agree with the other comments that your money is probably better spent outside of China these days, but a few ideas:
  • Intercontinental 1000 Island Lake Resort (Qiandaohu) - near-ish Hangzhou
  • Intercontinental Sanya Bay, Hainan
  • Banyan Tree Zhuhai
  • Banyan Tree Yangshuo
  • Hilton resort Dali, Yunnan - didn't actually stay here in the end, but looked good when I was researching
  • Several international chain resorts around Jiuzhaigou, Sichuan - again, never made it here (flights to the local airport were terrible during covid), but looked like there were a few good options.
download likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2023, 3:01 pm

Amanfayun, in Hangzhou. Surrounded by tea fields, natural woodland and a pilgrimage circuit of seven ancient Buddhist temples.
Nanjing Ritz-Carlton, it's the best Ritz-Carlton in mainland.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.