Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lifting Zero Covid Policy

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2022, 7:54 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Davvidd
I simply do not understand how they can ask for PCR tests unless they come directly from China? This is once again going to create a but of a mess for airlines who carry Chinese passengers via third countries too.
Countries could implement what China imposed upon their own arrivals for most of 2022. As this was mainly Chinese nationals and the few who could get visas to get into China, they might be used to it. Although I'm not recommending it.

Direct flights
2 PCR tests, one 48-24hrs, one 24-6hrs before, from different labs, submit results to Chinese Embassy to obtain health code.

Indirect flights - book with a 3 day transit.
1 PCR test from origin, 48hrs before departure, submit results to Chinese Embassy of origin country to obtain health code. Fly to transit country.2 PCR tests, one 48-24hrs, one 24-6hrs before, from different labs, submit results to Chinese Embassy of transit country to obtain health code.

There might be random other requirements added to what the Chinese government wants by the airline you have booked with (eg. To use a specific testing lab with especially high prices).

Note that the UK had no direct flights to China from Dec 20 to Sep 22 because it was perceived to be the origin of the alpha variant.

I am not advocating any of the above, but just reflecting on what China themselves wanted in addition to their 10+3 and later 7+3, 5+3 quarantine to eliminate perceived COVID risks. It's possible to do this, although it's very impractical.
Old Dec 29, 2022, 8:39 am

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
Originally Posted by plunet
Countries could implement what China imposed upon their own arrivals for most of 2022. As this was mainly Chinese nationals and the few who could get visas to get into China, they might be used to it. Although I'm not recommending it.

Direct flights
2 PCR tests, one 48-24hrs, one 24-6hrs before, from different labs, submit results to Chinese Embassy to obtain health code.

Indirect flights - book with a 3 day transit.
1 PCR test from origin, 48hrs before departure, submit results to Chinese Embassy of origin country to obtain health code. Fly to transit country.2 PCR tests, one 48-24hrs, one 24-6hrs before, from different labs, submit results to Chinese Embassy of transit country to obtain health code.

There might be random other requirements added to what the Chinese government wants by the airline you have booked with (eg. To use a specific testing lab with especially high prices).

Note that the UK had no direct flights to China from Dec 20 to Sep 22 because it was perceived to be the origin of the alpha variant.

I am not advocating any of the above, but just reflecting on what China themselves wanted in addition to their 10+3 and later 7+3, 5+3 quarantine to eliminate perceived COVID risks. It's possible to do this, although it's very impractical.
The issue is that already QR and TK and many other airlines are going to start their operations into China next month. Direct flights yes they I mean the receiving countries can easily implement it but via third countries, it is going to mess up a lot of things still. Then the Chinese will implement reciprocal testing from the US and Japan and people who want to travel to China from these two countries will create a fuss in the media and demand that China open up for them without testing.
Old Dec 29, 2022, 8:57 am
m.y

Programs: AC 75k, Marriott Titanium
The issue is that already QR and TK and many other airlines are going to start their operations into China next month. Direct flights yes they I mean the receiving countries can easily implement it but via third countries, it is going to mess up a lot of things still. Then the Chinese will implement reciprocal testing from the US and Japan and people who want to travel to China from these two countries will create a fuss in the media and demand that China open up for them without testing.
Not really, airlines already check for US entrance requirements (which includes COVID vaccination for visitors) even if they are connecting, this would just be an additional document.

China has not acted reciprocally for a long time. US never suspended 10 year visas from China while China suspended 10 year visas issued to Americans. Plus, China will still require COVID test for incoming travelers after Jan 8 so China doesn't get to scream foul.
Old Dec 29, 2022, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why should they? No one opened up instantly. Everyone did according to their own national interests. I have no issues about China opening up but when they did everyone is in an uproar. It was horrible to be locked down. Now it is not so the case most western countries are in an uproar because they might spread a new variant of the covid. Possibly true and it is possibly true for any other country too.
The current uproar is ridiculous,.but not as ridiculous and cruel as what China did to its own people this past year with lockdowns and COVID camps, and for what?
gudugan likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2022, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by m.y
Not really, airlines already check for US entrance requirements (which includes COVID vaccination for visitors) even if they are connecting, this would just be an additional document.

China has not acted reciprocally for a long time. US never suspended 10 year visas from China while China suspended 10 year visas issued to Americans. Plus, China will still require COVID test for incoming travelers after Jan 8 so China doesn't get to scream foul.
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
The current uproar is ridiculous,.but not as ridiculous and cruel as what China did to its own people this past year with lockdowns and COVID camps, and for what?
It is ridiculous than Chinese MFA spokesman who attacked other countries for imposing 48 hr COVID tests on pax out of China.

As of today, China still requires 5+3 forced quarantine. Never mind 14+7 or 28+28 cruel quarantines in the past 3 years.

Even after Jan. 8, China still demands 48 hr COVID tests. So China isn't behaving better than others.

Also, China suspended 10=year visas of Americans.....
Kmxu and gudugan like this.
Old Dec 30, 2022, 12:11 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by kb1992
Also, China suspended 10=year visas of Americans.....
Just Americans? I don't think there was any favouritism for Americans to get that special visa treatment...
gudugan likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2022, 12:17 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum (Lifetime Gold), Caesars Diamond
Originally Posted by plunet
Just Americans? I don't think there was any favouritism for Americans to get that special visa treatment...
If I remember correctly South Korea got special treatment and students could still enter China during covid. Everyone else including Americans was out of luck.
Old Dec 30, 2022, 10:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by gudugan
If I remember correctly South Korea got special treatment and students could still enter China during covid. Everyone else including Americans was out of luck.
We have several forum members who are experienced in higher education in China that might be able to comment, but I'm hard-pressed to think of many people from Western countries that have been full-time students in Chinese universities. I did study abroad myself through Duke University (twice actually; the second time, I was the assistant director). That was a wonderful experience that I would recommend to anyone, but our relationship with host institutions was nothing more than cash cows. By contrast, many people from Asian countries (e.g. Japan, Korea, India) actually pursue degree programs in China. As such, they received considerably better treatment than us, and were far more integral members of campus communities.
DaileyB and mediator like this.
Old Dec 31, 2022, 1:45 am

Originally Posted by moondog
We have several forum members who are experienced in higher education in China that might be able to comment, but I'm hard-pressed to think of many people from Western countries that have been full-time students in Chinese universities. I did study abroad myself through Duke University (twice actually; the second time, I was the assistant director). That was a wonderful experience that I would recommend to anyone, but our relationship with host institutions was nothing more than cash cows. By contrast, many people from Asian countries (e.g. Japan, Korea, India) actually pursue degree programs in China. As such, they received considerably better treatment than us, and were far more integral members of campus communities.
A lot of Asian students were also on some sort of a scholarship and they get treated well by the government.
Old Jan 5, 2023, 2:45 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
This is like a Spike Milligan story. When China was having draconian lockdowns everyone else was shouting how horrible it is for the Chinese and they should not be locked down. Now the Chinese have opened up everyone else is shouting about wanting to lock down the Chinese. It is unbelievable.
Different lockdowns. One is shutting down a whole city when almost all other countries have opened. The other is quarantining passengers from the outbreak epicenter.
Old Jan 6, 2023, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by italdesign
Different lockdowns. One is shutting down a whole city when almost all other countries have opened. The other is quarantining passengers from the outbreak epicenter.
That should not be an issue about outer countries. You shut down when there is an outbreak. You open up when it is controlled. Lots of other countries did the same too.
Old Jan 8, 2023, 1:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Goodbye and good riddance (see you again during the next pandemic!):

Old Jan 8, 2023, 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by narvik
Goodbye and good riddance (see you again during the next pandemic!):

These people are airport employees. So they'll still be there working after 8/Jan, they just won't be wearing PPEs.
Old Jan 10, 2023, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by tauphi
These people are airport employees. So they'll still be there working after 8/Jan, they just won't be wearing PPEs.
TSA, to be precise.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.