Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lifting Zero Covid Policy

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2022, 9:56 pm

Programs: UA 1MM
Originally Posted by gudugan
It's already impossible to tell because without a strict classification of "died with covid" vs "died from covid", the numbers are meaningless.
Granted I'm not sure this distinction was clear in other nations but it will be clear as mud in China.
I don't think it's straight forward to determine "died with covid" vs "died from covid" on a case-by-case basis. However, one can use population-level excess deaths to calculate the overall increase in mortality attributable to Covid. It's also more difficult to fudge the total number of deaths, since you can calculate that from population numbers and numbers of new births, both of which are basic statistics that every country reports and are difficult to mess with.

After the smoke's cleared, I'll guess that the excess deaths in China will be approximately equal to that of the US, which means on a per person basis China will have had 1/3 to 1/4 the Covid death rate as the US due to all of China's cases being Omicron, vs the US having a much larger share of wild-type and Delta cases, which had a higher CFR.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2022, 10:07 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum (Lifetime Gold), Caesars Diamond
Originally Posted by boat stuck
population numbers and numbers of new births, both of which are basic statistics that every country reports and are difficult to mess with.
https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/So...ises-questions

Oh yeah I trust the China GDP numbers too. Common Prosperity for everyone!!!
Old Dec 24, 2022, 12:43 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
I'm reading about the abrupt reversal in disbelief. I cannot imagine a worse way they could have managed this. After painstakingly but consistently enforcing zero-covid, resulting in probably the world's lowest death rate among sizable populations, to just abruptly and entirely give up without preparing the system for the entirely foreseeable tsunami, now causing the very endpoint they said all along all the draconian measures were to avoid--high death rate among the elderly--I just can't wrap my head around it. I'm really curious how the locals are processing this sudden U-turn of the unwavering mandate.

Never thought a few mild protests would have such power.
moondog and gudugan like this.
Old Dec 24, 2022, 2:06 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by italdesign
I'm reading about the abrupt reversal in disbelief. I cannot imagine a worse way they could have managed this. After painstakingly but consistently enforcing zero-covid, resulting in probably the world's lowest death rate among sizable populations, to just abruptly and entirely give up without preparing the system for the entirely foreseeable tsunami, now causing the very endpoint they said all along all the draconian measures were to avoid--high death rate among the elderly--I just can't wrap my head around it. I'm really curious how the locals are processing this sudden U-turn of the unwavering mandate.

Never thought a few mild protests would have such power.
Couple of suppositions going on there, IMO.

Simply put, COVID-19 got milder and milder, but more contagious as time went on.
Many in China are saying they waited too long for this 'reversal', and they should have done it back in late Spring/early Summer 2022.
There is no mass-collapse of the health system either (so far?), presumably because the vaccinations that did occur, and the relatively mild BF.7 and BF.5 strains that are predominant.

Also, I don't believe the "mild protests" had much of anything to do with the opening up / moving away from Covid Zero.
The writing was already on the wall, and announcements were already made before the demonstrations started.
Old Dec 24, 2022, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by narvik

Simply put, COVID-19 got milder and milder, but more contagious as time went on.
Many in China are saying they waited too long for this 'reversal', and they should have done it back in late Spring/early Summer 2022.
There is no mass-collapse of the health system either (so far?), presumably because the vaccinations that did occur, and the relatively mild BF.7 and BF.5 strains that are predominant.

Also, I don't believe the "mild protests" had much of anything to do with the opening up / moving away from Covid Zero.
The writing was already on the wall, and announcements were already made before the demonstrations started.
Agree with all of these points. A lot of conspiracy theories out there but this really is Occam's razor.
Old Dec 24, 2022, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by narvik

There's also the issue that they simply couldn't stop it--the only real choices were open slowly or open rapidly.
narvik likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2022, 3:12 am

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
There's also the issue that they simply couldn't stop it--the only real choices were open slowly or open rapidly.
They could and did stop BA.2 in Shanghai. However, what they couldn't handle was the 14+7 quarantine. The day they went with 7+3 was when the big call was made.
moondog likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2022, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tauphi
They could and did stop BA.2 in Shanghai. However, what they couldn't handle was the 14+7 quarantine. The day they went with 7+3 was when the big call was made.
I don't think they ever stopped it.
Old Dec 25, 2022, 10:39 pm

Look in the GISAID database, if they didn't stop the BA.2.2 Shanghai outbreak, then we would still be seeing new entries of that strain today. Even if China wasn't reporting it, it would be picked up on export to places like the UK. In actual fact no BA.2.2 sequences have been reported since June.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41421-022-00468-1

Last edited by tauphi; Dec 25, 2022 at 10:51 pm
Old Dec 26, 2022, 5:58 am

SCMP has just reported that China will re-open its borders January 8.

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/scie...tine-january-8
gudugan likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2022, 5:16 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
There's also the issue that they simply couldn't stop it...
It seems they realized this half a year and countless lockdowns after everyone else. And from some of the things that were said, I wasn't sure if they'd ever realize/accept it. But I'm glad they did.

... the only real choices were open slowly or open rapidly.
Yes, the problem is the sudden reversal (at least it seems sudden to me; I accept it may be less sudden to someone on the ground). The transition should have been more gradual, including not backing themselves into a corner with no way out. According to one article, as recent as 1-2 weeks before the sudden reversal, Papa Bear was quoted saying zero-covid is an unwavering commitment.

It's just sad to see them go thru the same pain of opening up that everyone else went thru, but I guess that's inevitable, and the problem is needlessly waiting so long to do it.
Old Dec 26, 2022, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by italdesign
It seems they realized this half a year and countless lockdowns after everyone else. And from some of the things that were said, I wasn't sure if they'd ever realize/accept it. But I'm glad they did.

Yes, the problem is the sudden reversal (at least it seems sudden to me; I accept it may be less sudden to someone on the ground). The transition should have been more gradual, including not backing themselves into a corner with no way out. According to one article, as recent as 1-2 weeks before the sudden reversal, Papa Bear was quoted saying zero-covid is an unwavering commitment.

It's just sad to see them go thru the same pain of opening up that everyone else went thru, but I guess that's inevitable, and the problem is needlessly waiting so long to do it.
Some aspects of the policy has been gradually loosening since June. Quarantine from 14+7 to 7+3 to 5+3 etc. Stopping tracing of secondary contacts too. And of course the case counts increased over teh past 6 months accordingly.

The final release was rapid, but I'm not sure how they could have effectively ramped this. Given the high population density, the case counts would have exploded regardless. And the "nice" part of the current trends is that I think by Janurary, the country will be over the worst of this and people can get on to their normal lives.
Old Dec 26, 2022, 9:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I am of the opinion that they did stop it (in Shanghai), but at a considerable cost.
Old Dec 26, 2022, 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by moondog
I am of the opinion that they did stop it (in Shanghai), but at a considerable cost.
I agree with this assessment. Costs were high enough that they didn't try this experiment anywhere else.
narvik likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2022, 4:59 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Any clues to what the reopening will entail? Will we ever see the return of the transfer waiver of visa? I’m looking at Tokyo, May, but it would be nice to do Shanghai either side (not to mention a swift half of King Louis with a friend).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.