Situation in Wuhan?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Situation in Wuhan?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2020, 3:14 am

Originally Posted by invisible
Due to unprecedented nature of quarantining such large number of population, could you please ask them to describe what daily life there now looks like?
  • Do people go to work? If so, what type of work they do?
  • What is currently open?
  • If people go to work, how do they do it considering that all public and private vehicles now are not operating?
  • How people are buy/stocking their supplies? Do they buy it online with some means of delivery or they have to get them by going in stores?
  • Are people being paid if they are sitting at home?
  • What do they do while sitting home?
now they return normal life , start to work again
Old Apr 23, 2020, 9:04 am

Wuhan historical flight data

Hi guys,

Apologies for the double post and not sure if anyone is able to help me on this, but I'm curious about flights to and from Wuhan international in the weeks leading up to January 23rd? Apologies if this has been covered already, I did have abrowse but couldn't find anything.

I was wondering at what point domestic flights to and from Wuhan were stopped/dramatically reduced comparative to when international flights were ... is it possible to ffind any data on that? If anyone is willing to point me in the right direction, or have a quick look on my behalf I'd be hugely grateful.

Many thanks indeed in anticipation!

Best wishes.

broadside
Old Apr 30, 2020, 10:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IIRC a paid (premium) subscription to flight aware would enable you to see actual arrival and departure times as well as flight paths and information on aircraft type, but I don't know how easy it would be to search for anywhere to WUH or WUH to anywhere. You can also see diverted and cancelled flights.

Is there still a paper or online version of IAG = International Airline Guide? Long ago they published schedules for all commercial flights worldwide, organized by origin and destination cities, with indications of the days of the week on which each flight operated. This could be used to guide your search on flight aware to check which flights actually operated.

Have you looked at the airport's website? Often they list current routes and carriers, so this would be a start, and if you can find older versions of the pages (maybe the "wayback machine") that would show or enable you to find what was scheduled even if not whether the flights of interest actually operated.

WUH is an international airport but IME there really aren't a lot of international flights and those tend to be Asian LCCs or LCC affiliates of full service Asian airlines, plus a few international flights operated by the major mainland Chinese carriers. There was a conversation here on FT (in a big thread, probably in the China destination forum) about the probably only one TWOV opportunity for WUH after WUH was added to the TWOV list. My guess would be HKK (for example, operated by an affiliate of CX) and BKK, but maybe not a lot of other choices.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 10:53 pm

One of the problems we're finding -- looking at HK flights at least -- is that some flights carrying only cargo are flying with passenger flight designations. So it's hard to get a grasp of the actual passenger flight situation.
Old May 4, 2020, 3:20 am

Hi guys,

Sorry to repeat this post, but really hoping someone can help me with this!

I'm curious about flights to and from Wuhan international in the weeks leading up to January 23rd? Apologies if this has been covered already, I did have abrowse but couldn't find anything.

I was wondering at what point domestic flights to and from Wuhan were stopped/dramatically reduced comparative to when international flights were ... is it possible to ffind any data on that? If anyone is willing to point me in the right direction, or have a quick look on my behalf I'd be hugely grateful.

Best wishes.

broadside
Old May 4, 2020, 3:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by broadside
Hi guys,

Sorry to repeat this post, but really hoping someone can help me with this!

I'm curious about flights to and from Wuhan international in the weeks leading up to January 23rd? Apologies if this has been covered already, I did have abrowse but couldn't find anything.

Best wishes.

broadside
They all stopped the same day. The day they shutdown the city. Domestic and international flights were all running normally until then. Domestically it’s actually easier for much of the population centers to get to Wuhan via high speed rail. This was also running normally right up until it stopped the day of the shutdown.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old May 4, 2020, 3:52 am

broadside I assume you have been in touch with both the airport and the Hubei airport authority. Did you glean any useful information from them?
Old May 4, 2020, 4:21 am

Reading between the lines of his post, I think he's asking whether China began to restrict air travel to/from Wuhan before the actual lockdown began. If so, just when did the reduction in flights start and were only domestic flights reduced.

As said above, a paid subscription to Flight Aware would probably show this information, but I'm not sure since I don't have a paid subscription myself.
Old May 4, 2020, 7:31 am

Thanks 889, that's all I'm after. I was hoping someone on here might have access to something like FlightAware or the database mentioned my MSPeconomist, and be able to have a look for me ....

moondog, your assumption is incorrect I'm afraid. I haven't been in touch with those bodies - do you think they would provide me with a list of the flights in and out over the course of January? Do you have any idea who I would be best to approach in particular?

travelinmanS: thanks very much for your useful response. Can I just ask how you know they stopped at the same time? If you could share your source, that would be incredibly useful.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; May 5, 2020 at 9:00 am Reason: Combine consecutive posts of same member.
Old May 4, 2020, 7:44 am

I think it's fair to say the airport authorities will apply some deductive reasoning to figure out why you're asking, and ignore you.
Old May 4, 2020, 9:29 am

You start with a theory and then see whether there's any evidence out there to support that theory. Nothing wrong with that.

But he may as well just splurge a bit on FA. A Premium membership for one month costs $40 and gives up to five months of historical flight data. Not an extortionate price if you really want the information. Maybe it'll show something interesting, maybe not, who knows.

https://flightaware.com/commercial/premium/
Old May 4, 2020, 10:37 am
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
The first airport to be shut down, Wuhan Tianhe International Airport, is by far the biggest airport in Hubei. It is the busiest airport in central China, and the sixteenth biggest in China overall. According to the Civil Aviation Administration of China (CAAC), it was used by 24,500,356 passengers in 2018 and carried out 187,699 flights.

In the days before the quarantine, 614 flights took off. On the January 24, the day after the quarantine, only seven flights came out of Wuhan and only 39 came in. By January 25, only 13 came out and 11 in – leaving the once bustling airport effectively dormant.

https://www.cirium.com/thoughtcloud/...eak-escalates/
Cirium brings together powerful data and analytics to keep the world moving. Delivering insight, built from decades of experience in the sector, enabling travel companies, aircraft manufacturers, airports, airlines and financial institutions, among others, to make logical and informed decisions which shape the future of travel, growing revenues and enhancing customer experiences.

"Mercy" flight to Wuhan
SriLankan Airlines operates a 'mercy flight' to bring back students from the locked down Wuhan city of China.
Old May 4, 2020, 5:37 pm

Flightradar24 may give you access to historical flight data cheaper than FA. Look at the Gold plan.
Old May 5, 2020, 7:40 am

@ anacapamalibu Many thanks, really useful, but I was hoping to get lists of flights over the days preceding the shut down. Thanks again.
@ 889, much appreciated. I was hoping not to spend money :-). Never mind.
[Text deleted by Moderator as prohibited comments on moderation.]

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; May 5, 2020 at 9:02 am
Old May 5, 2020, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by broadside
@ anacapamalibu Many thanks, really useful, but I was hoping to get lists of flights over the days preceding the shut down. Thanks again.
@ 889, much appreciated. I was hoping not to spend money :-). Never mind.
[Conforming moderator edit to original quote]
Flightradar24 has a 7 day free trial, even for its gold plan. More to the point, why can't whoever commissioned you to write the article suck up this trivial expense? I'd be looking to find a new employer if I were you.
MSPeconomist likes this.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; May 5, 2020 at 9:03 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.