Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Noon departure from Shanghai. Anything to do?

Noon departure from Shanghai. Anything to do?

Old Oct 2, 19, 11:09 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Programs: *G, ST E+, OZ Diamond, DL GM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Posts: 2,165
Noon departure from Shanghai. Anything to do?

Iím flying back to SFO tomorrow at around noon. Ideally Iíll arrive at PVG at around 9 AM, which means Iíll leave the hotel at around 8 AM or so. Is there anything to do in Shanghai in the morning? Decent place to get breakfast? Iím still a bit jet lagged so I donít have any problem waking up at about 5 AM if there is something to do.
lsquare is online now  
Old Oct 2, 19, 11:57 pm
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 30,226
Originally Posted by lsquare View Post
Iím flying back to SFO tomorrow at around noon. Ideally Iíll arrive at PVG at around 9 AM, which means Iíll leave the hotel at around 8 AM or so. Is there anything to do in Shanghai in the morning? Decent place to get breakfast? Iím still a bit jet lagged so I donít have any problem waking up at about 5 AM if there is something to do.
Where is your hotel? I'm not much of a breakfast person myself, but xiaolongbao places are fairly ubiquitous in middle class neighborhoods, and Mr. Pancake is okay enough for western stuff. By the way, for a noon flight, getting to PVG at 1030a is more than safe. In fact, I'd probably target 1045a myself.
moondog is offline  
Old Oct 3, 19, 12:27 am
  #3  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 83,911
At least for USA legacy carriers, I would assume that check in closes one hour before departure. Depending on status and cabin class, planning to get to PVG at roughly 10 am should be fine for a noon departure, but YMMV. It's not a particularly nice airport in which to spend time, lounges are mediocre at best, etc.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Oct 3, 19, 12:45 am
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 30,226
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
At least for USA legacy carriers, I would assume that check in closes one hour before departure. Depending on status and cabin class, planning to get to PVG at roughly 10 am should be fine for a noon departure, but YMMV. It's not a particularly nice airport in which to spend time, lounges are mediocre at best, etc.
Correct --> T-70 check-in is quite safe.
moondog is offline  
Old Oct 3, 19, 5:25 am
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Programs: *G, ST E+, OZ Diamond, DL GM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Posts: 2,165
Originally Posted by moondog View Post
Where is your hotel? I'm not much of a breakfast person myself, but xiaolongbao places are fairly ubiquitous in middle class neighborhoods, and Mr. Pancake is okay enough for western stuff. By the way, for a noon flight, getting to PVG at 1030a is more than safe. In fact, I'd probably target 1045a myself.
Iím at the Four Points by Sheraton in Tangqiao. Not a bad location. Iíll get my two nights for my Platinum challenge.
lsquare is online now  
Old Oct 3, 19, 5:26 am
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Programs: *G, ST E+, OZ Diamond, DL GM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Posts: 2,165
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
At least for USA legacy carriers, I would assume that check in closes one hour before departure. Depending on status and cabin class, planning to get to PVG at roughly 10 am should be fine for a noon departure, but YMMV. It's not a particularly nice airport in which to spend time, lounges are mediocre at best, etc.
Iím flying UA. Youíre right the lounges are mediocre, but given the departure time, I donít really know what else to do in Shanghai prior to departure.
lsquare is online now  
Old Oct 3, 19, 9:02 am
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 30,226
Originally Posted by lsquare View Post
Iím flying UA. Youíre right the lounges are mediocre, but given the departure time, I donít really know what else to do in Shanghai prior to departure.
Um, pretty much anything else is better than going to the airport earlier than necessary.
moondog is offline  
Old Oct 19, 19, 7:31 am
  #8  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 6
You should leave the hotel at 7 o'clock and leave for an hour to pass the security checkpoint
g4495792 is offline  
Old Oct 19, 19, 8:03 am
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 30,226
Originally Posted by g4495792 View Post
You should leave the hotel at 7 o'clock and leave for an hour to pass the security checkpoint
So he can spend four hours at the airport?! To each his own I guess...
moondog is offline  
Old Oct 19, 19, 7:48 pm
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Programs: *G, ST E+, OZ Diamond, DL GM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Posts: 2,165
Originally Posted by moondog View Post
So he can spend four hours at the airport?! To each his own I guess...
Funny that the guy is now suspended.
lsquare is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread