Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First time on holiday in China.... Questions

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2019, 6:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by STS-134
Given how little time I had to invest in getting my Chinese driver's license (getting a >= 90 day visa, studying for the test for about 8-12 hours, getting the registration form from the police station, going to get a photo taken, health check, going to the DMV to sign up for the test, and taking the test itself, which was all done in around 5 days), and that the license is good for 6 years, I don't think it's worth the risk of driving without a license. And it wasn't like all 5 days were occupied by activities relating to getting the license. I counted 2 days for the visa because I had to go to the consulate twice, once to drop off my passport, and once to pick it up, but that only took around 4 hours to drop off and 3 hours to pick up, and that includes the round-trip drive.
The risk/reward ratio is highly situational.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 7:27 am

Programs: BA - Blue
I do find it odd that we are advocating breaking the law with regards to driving in China without a valid driving license...

yes, all sorts of laws can be broken, but this is pretty niche stuff: most people that will be in China enough to want to drive, can legitimately get a license as outlined above. Yes, it's strange that visitors can't just hire a car (for the most part, although airport rentals used to be an exception, no idea if that's still the case), but given the affordability of taxis, it's really not an issue for >99% of visitors. Residents and those with long-stay visas can get a license.

tb
Old Aug 2, 2019, 7:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
So, subject to my passport arriving back safely, I'm now the proud owner of a two year, multiple entry L visa for China. Time to download Duolingo and make a start on some survival Mandarin. Officially excited.
moondog likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 8:00 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by Internaut
So, subject to my passport arriving back safely, I'm now the proud owner of a two year, multiple entry L visa for China. Time to download Duolingo and make a start on some survival Mandarin. Officially excited.
Hope you have a great trip!
Internaut likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good luck. I have never been able to handle the tones. Even with what little Mandarin I speak it's about 50:50 whether I will be understood--and when I'm not my wife echoes what I said, as far as I can tell she says it exactly the same as I do but they understand her.
Internaut, Hoyaheel and synthkeys like this.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 6:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

IME tones are less important in context. You'll still sound like a farmer if you use first tone exclusively, but if you give the listener enough to work with, you should be able to get your point across.
Internaut likes this.

Last edited by moondog; Sep 29, 2019 at 8:53 am
Old Sep 29, 2019, 8:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Well I’m here. Overall airport arrival experience was good. I was surprised the immigration officer showed no interest in my itinerary. Just a photo, fingerprints, a stamp, a point at the baggage belts and a “sheshe” from me. I didn’t think the baggage checks at every metro station were an imposition, but do wonder how effective they are. Glad I was met by my friend, on arrival, for help with baggage and directions though. I did enjoy a mid trip coffee break at a quite frankly vast Starbucks (the locals love to take photos of the place) and the Holiday Inn Express Jinsha has been fine so far, though I have low expectations for the breakfast.
Old Sep 29, 2019, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well I’m here. Overall airport arrival experience was good. I was surprised the immigration officer showed no interest in my itinerary. Just a photo, fingerprints, a stamp, a point at the baggage belts and a “sheshe” from me. I didn’t think the baggage checks at every metro station were an imposition, but do wonder how effective they are. Glad I was met by my friend, on arrival, for help with baggage and directions though. I did enjoy a mid trip coffee break at a quite frankly vast Starbucks (the locals love to take photos of the place) and the Holiday Inn Express Jinsha has been fine so far, though I have low expectations for the breakfast.
We've made many trips, immigration is always very easy. The only appreciable interaction was in the early days them asking my wife to write her name in Chinese on the entry card. Now she knows they will want to see that and does it when filling the card out, basically nothing gets said.

The security stations you see in many places seem to be targeted at hazardous cargo--when you read the list of what is prohibited (it's often also in English) it's stuff that a tourist would be extremely unlikely to be carrying, anyway. In many, many trips through them I've had one museum and one train station ask me to take a sip out of the water bottles I was carrying.

For really stupid security, though--I can't recall where it was but it was a park or the like, the usual WTMDs--but no x-ray. Security wants me to walk through the hoop with my stuff (I was playing pack mule for the group, I had a fair load), but they didn't care when of course it said I was carrying metal. (Hey, I've got a DSLR around my neck, what do you expect??)
Internaut likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2019, 10:06 pm

At some Metros if you have a soft drink bottle, they'll lay it in a cradle machine of some sort then hand it back. Never sure what that machine tests and how it works.
Internaut likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 12:00 am

Programs: BA - Blue
On the security issue: rather irritatingly had several aerosols confiscated on the HSR from Beijing to Tianjin last week. One actually got through undetected on the outbound, made it through the first checkpoint in Tianjin, but due to the lockdown, there was a second checkpoint for Beijing-bound trains and it got nabbed there.

tb
Internaut likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 1:18 am

I assume you mean the Starbucks on Nanjing West Road? That particular one is the largest in the world:
https://www.businessinsider.com/star...biggest-2018-4
Internaut likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 10:15 am
Original Poster

I was told exactly that, by my friend, but didn’t mention it here having not verified it independently. The place is huge. It is a destination. The locals go in there to take photos of it. Talking of locals and cameras.... Good grief, they take photography seriously here. Taking a photo of (and talking to) a local shutterbug taking a photo of me is becoming a thing (and they’re often carrying some pretty impressive equipment).
Old Oct 12, 2019, 8:10 am
Original Poster

Ahh... Finally I’m in the Air China Lounge at PVG. Erm, it’s nothing to write home about. The holiday itself was great and I intend to return next March/April. With respect to coffee.... The Chinese chains/independents are generally half the price of Starbucks and the coffee is, quite frankly, better. Thanks for all the advice everyone.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 11:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K/AS 100K …Bonvoy Titanium..Hertz Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Ricebucket
I assume you mean the Starbucks on Nanjing West Road? That particular one is the largest in the world:
https://www.businessinsider.com/star...biggest-2018-4
Tokyo now has the largest Starbucks in the World:

https://blog.gaijinpot.com/worlds-bi...oday-in-tokyo/
Old Oct 17, 2019, 7:13 am
Suspended

It's better to stagger the travel peak

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.