First time on holiday in China.... Questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First time on holiday in China.... Questions

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2019, 11:24 am

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
I've stayed at that Holiday Inn Express. It's tucked in a quiet residential street, one block from Suzhou Creek, which has an excellent pathway for walking, running, and cycling. The neighborhood does have a "burb" feel, but it's really just a nondescript part of a maniacal city.
moondog and Internaut like this.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Originally Posted by 889
"Brits get 2-year multiple entry visas."

But only if they apply in Britain, it seems. (Not a problem for the OP, apparently.)

Fees included they are really expensive. OP might consider two 144-hour TWOVs with a cheap flight to HK etc in the middle.
I did consider that... However, I understand the TWOV limits me, in effect, to the Greater Shanghai Area. Once the National holiday is over, I’ll be looking to go further. Applying for a visa today and it is i) not trivial and ii) expensive (so better had be a two year multi).
Old Jul 16, 2019, 1:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Internaut
I did consider that... However, I understand the TWOV limits me, in effect, to the Greater Shanghai Area. Once the National holiday is over, I’ll be looking to go further. Applying for a visa today and it is i) not trivial and ii) expensive (so better had be a two year multi).
Wenzhou (Southern Zhejiang) to Xuzhou (Northern Jiangsu) is 900 km, and there are many interesting places to explore in between (e.g. Hangzhou, Suzhou, Putuoshan), but I'm guessing you have Beijing in mind. Honestly, it would be pretty easy to go there and back undetected, as long as you don't register, but I am not advocating this.
Internaut likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 1:11 pm

To be specific, you can travel and stay anywhere in Shanghai Municipality, Zhejiang Province and Jiangsu Province. That's a very large area, but you can't go up to Beijing, for example. Don't even consider it.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 1:41 pm

While clearly illegal, apart from Tibet, China does not, at present, have facilities to restrict the movements of foreigners in country.

As I mentioned above, I do not advocate violating TWOV rules.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 2:18 pm

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Originally Posted by moondog
While clearly illegal, apart from Tibet, China does not, at present, have facilities to restrict the movements of foreigners in country.

As I mentioned above, I do not advocate violating TWOV rules.
Hotels get quite edgy when you turn up on a UK passport with no visa, even when they can see your entry stamp (I know from experience). I'd imagine if you tried to check in to a hotel in Beijing with a TWOV from Shanghai, they might kick off...
Old Jul 16, 2019, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by Deltus
Hotels get quite edgy when you turn up on a UK passport with no visa, even when they can see your entry stamp (I know from experience). I'd imagine if you tried to check in to a hotel in Beijing with a TWOV from Shanghai, they might kick off...
There are many ways to stay overnight in China that don't entail registration. In fact, my current landlord --who rents rooms out on airbnb type services-- doesn't even offer to register her guests unless they are applying for RPs.
Deltus likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 3:02 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
... I'm guessing you have Beijing in mind. Honestly, it would be pretty easy to go there and back undetected, as long as you don't register, but I am not advocating this.
A foreigner would need to submit their passport to purchase a HSR ticket, and this information might pop up onto the computer screen at exit immigration. I do NOT recommend going to Beijing with TWOV.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by sinoflyer
A foreigner would need to submit their passport to purchase a HSR ticket, and this information might pop up onto the computer screen at exit immigration. I do NOT recommend going to Beijing with TWOV.
Entering pp details into a computer is not currently required for buying plane tickets (visual ID checks only), buses don't care, and obviously it's a non issue if you drive yourself or with others in a private vehicle.

Somewhat off topic, before the Tibet entry policy was strictly enforced, it was quite common for foreigners of Asian ethnicity to travel there sans permit, and I'm guessing determined folks still find ways to slip through the cracks.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 4:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Either way, I don’t knowingly break the law in any country I visit (and if that rule of thumb applies to the US, it definitely applies to China). Besides, I’m guessing hotel and guest house owners would rather not find themselves in an awkward place with the local law and customs.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by Internaut
Either way, I don’t knowingly break the law in any country I visit (and if that rule of thumb applies to the US, it definitely applies to China). Besides, I’m guessing hotel and guest house owners would rather not find themselves in an awkward place with the local law and customs.
Haha Although I love Beijing, especially in October (better than average air quality and nice weather), you could definitely find things to do within the Shanghai/Jiangsu/Zhejiang zone, and remember that HK, Macau, Korea, Japan, Taiwan etc can all be nested inside of your visit.

FYI, my last several landlords are all party members; 20-something police officers know not to mess with them over bureaucratic matters.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Entering pp details into a computer is not currently required for buying plane tickets (visual ID checks only), buses don't care, and obviously it's a non issue if you drive yourself or with others in a private vehicle.

Somewhat off topic, before the Tibet entry policy was strictly enforced, it was quite common for foreigners of Asian ethnicity to travel there sans permit, and I'm guessing determined folks still find ways to slip through the cracks.
Several buses do require passport to buy a ticket now. I have no knowledge of what they do with the information, and maybe it is just for easier input of a foreign name. But I would assume that means bus movement is being tracked now.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 11:21 am

Yes, the government has for several years been trying out a real-name system for long-distance buses in various parts of the country.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 1:19 pm

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Yep, my passport was required for several bus trips in Yunnan earlier this year.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 5:57 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Shame to hear about more and more buses requiring passports. Had become accustomed to taking buses from less popular bus stations - e.g. in Shenzhen’s Donghu neighborhood, as opposed to the Luo Hu border one - without a hitch.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.