Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Connecting at XIY

Connecting at XIY

Old May 16, 19, 8:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, TK, DL, IHG Spire, HHonours Gold, Hertz Presidents Club
Connecting at XIY

Any experience of how the connection process when flying in international and connecting onto a domestic is at XIY?
HBO only so any experience on time it may take?

It looks like both of flights I'm looking at come into and out of T3.

Last edited by Leaping_Deere; May 16, 19 at 9:16 am
Old May 16, 19, 11:36 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
One ticket or separate? If one ticket and the same airline you should call them and ask if they transfer baggage. As of two years this was not offered and you you had to claim luggage, exit, and re-enter to the check-in area to re-check your luggage. Air China could not handle this then, but maybe now can. If separate airlines call the first and ask if they interline. The full service carriers generally do, and the LCCs basically never. And it is airport dependent.
Old May 16, 19, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by uanj View Post
One ticket or separate? If one ticket and the same airline you should call them and ask if they transfer baggage. As of two years this was not offered and you you had to claim luggage, exit, and re-enter to the check-in area to re-check your luggage. Air China could not handle this then, but maybe now can. If separate airlines call the first and ask if they interline. The full service carriers generally do, and the LCCs basically never. And it is airport dependent.
Separate tickets but hand baggage only. it's not a matter of time and more curious as what to expect in terms of International to Domestic at this airport.
Old May 16, 19, 2:46 pm

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Same as anywhere else - disembark, go through immigration and customs; head upstairs to check in for domestic flight, go through security and into domestic departures.
Old May 16, 19, 8:57 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
If separate tickets, then there are no ifs, ands, or buts. You must clear immigration and proceed as a domestic passenger. This process is uniform throughout China. Whereas in places like PEK you can check in right next to baggage claim, after clearing customs, in XIY no such facility exists so that you must go upstairs to domestic departures in T3.
Old May 17, 19, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IluvSQ View Post
Same as anywhere else - disembark, go through immigration and customs; head upstairs to check in for domestic flight, go through security and into domestic departures.
Thanks! How is XIY immigration on average, long queues or not a busy international airport?
Old May 19, 19, 8:27 am

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by sinoflyer View Post
If separate tickets, then there are no ifs, ands, or buts. You must clear immigration and proceed as a domestic passenger. This process is uniform throughout China. Whereas in places like PEK you can check in right next to baggage claim, after clearing customs, in XIY no such facility exists so that you must go upstairs to domestic departures in T3.
Oh!? I didn't realise this. I thought that it was only for linked itineraries. I'll have to try this next time I pass through.
Old May 19, 19, 8:59 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by Leaping_Deere View Post
Thanks! How is XIY immigration on average, long queues or not a busy international airport?
Other than SHA, PVG, and PEK , I have never waited more than 5 minutes at any Chinese airport immigration.
Old May 19, 19, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by seanpodge View Post
Oh!? I didn't realise this. I thought that it was only for linked itineraries. I'll have to try this next time I pass through.
I always purchase the domestic-China portion separately for the tremendous savings over a transpac through-ticket, and I've always checked-in right from the baggage claim level before going upstairs for security screening. While I've only done this in conjunction with a CA domestic flight, I believe you can do this with other domestic Chinese carriers so long as they operate from T3.

Originally Posted by IluvSQ View Post
Other than SHA, PVG, and PEK , I have never waited more than 5 minutes at any Chinese airport immigration.
That's my experience as well. I just went through XIY (from HKG) last week. When we arrived in the afternoon, there were no other international arrivals. And although only two immigration lanes were open for "Foreigners," the vast majority of the pax on our flight were Chinese passport holders.
Leaping_Deere and seanpodge like this.
Old May 20, 19, 6:04 am
Original Poster

That's my experience as well. I just went through XIY (from HKG) last week. When we arrived in the afternoon, there were no other international arrivals. And although only two immigration lanes were open for "Foreigners," the vast majority of the pax on our flight were Chinese passport holders.
Thanks I'm doing the same route on MU, my only other international arrival outside of PVG into China was URC and I expected that to be quiet!
sinoflyer likes this.
Old May 22, 19, 10:46 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond
I always purchase the domestic-China portion separately for the tremendous savings over a transpac through-ticket, and I've always checked-in right from the baggage claim level before going upstairs for security screening. While I've only done this in conjunction with a CA domestic flight, I believe you can do this with other domestic Chinese carriers so long as they operate from T3.
Ditto. Very difficult to even find a single ticket *A itinerary to HRB let alone a humanely priced one. If only I'd known before. So many hours of my life lost! Thanks again!
sinoflyer likes this.
Old May 23, 19, 1:23 am

I missed it the first time connecting domestically in PEK, and dreaded checking-in upstairs way on the other side of T3. So on the next trip, I went through Domestic Connections to see if it goes. And it went!
seanpodge likes this.

Last edited by sinoflyer; May 23, 19 at 1:35 am

Search this Thread