Wiki Posts
Search

China visa photo questions

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2019, 8:28 pm
H_X
Original Poster

China visa photo questions

I understand that the photo has to be 48 mm x 33 mm, and not 2 inches x 2 inches like in US passports. Before I start calling AAA, FedEx/Kinko's, Walgreens, etc., can these places print 48 mm x 33 mm photos? Or should I try a photography studio?

Do passport photo places also give you a digital photo?

If I do it myself, would a white posterboard taped to a wall count as a white background? Neither my home nor my office has white walls. Since I don't have a photo printer at home, I'd have to get the photo printed at Walmart or somewhere else. Do they have the option of printing custom-sized photos, or will I have to manually cut them to size?

Do China visa services let you send multiple photos, to improve the odds of meeting requirements? Do any let you send digital photos, for them to print?
Old Jan 24, 2019, 9:15 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Go to Costco,
Old Jan 24, 2019, 9:16 pm

Programs: DL DM
The agency I used accepted the standard 2x2 inch photo and they handled trimming them to the proper 48x33mm size. I didn't have much luck with taking the photo at home even with a good solid white background and ended up just going to Costco. That photo worked fine and considering the cost of the 10 year visa + agency fee was negligible.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 5:54 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
My Costco got rid of its photo center last year and I'm devastated :-( [can still upload & have prints done but they're mailed, no passport/visa photos in the warehouse :-(
Old Jan 25, 2019, 11:29 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
AAA did mine just fine. And they knew the China visa requirements very well.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 11:40 pm

I got my photos done at AAA (I forget where my boyfriend did his, maybe a drugstore), but we asked both places not to cut them and we cut them ourselves. Honestly though when I was at the LA Chinese Consulate, they didn't seem to be that picky as I glance at others' photos.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 7:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by wcj1
I got my photos done at AAA (I forget where my boyfriend did his, maybe a drugstore), but we asked both places not to cut them and we cut them ourselves. Honestly though when I was at the LA Chinese Consulate, they didn't seem to be that picky as I glance at others' photos.
DC and the place in Shanghai that does residence permits are both picky about photos, but the photo booths in subway stations here always work
Old Feb 3, 2019, 7:27 am

Just got visa and while I was at the consulate noticed that most folks had 2x2 photos. I used a photo app and took selfie against white wall and printed at Target.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 9:26 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Diztravel
Just got visa and while I was at the consulate noticed that most folks had 2x2 photos. I used a photo app and took selfie against white wall and printed at Target.
Same with me, they didn't seem to care at the Chicago Consulate. But I used my phone then printed it out at Walgreens for ~$0.50
Old Feb 22, 2019, 9:46 am

I went to a passport photo studio to get mine, and he charged extra for the custom size. Later on when my husband needed one, I found an old 2x2" passport photo left over from a prior trip and successfully trimmed it to 48x33 mm without affecting the required dimensions for the face. The consulate in LA accepted it, no questions asked.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by United747
Same with me, they didn't seem to care at the Chicago Consulate. But I used my phone then printed it out at Walgreens for ~$0.50
Yeah, chicago consulate didn't seem to care. I also used my phone, and printed it out at walgreens.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 9:40 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K
The Chinese visa processing centre in Toronto (which isn't located at the consulate itself) is VERY picky about the photo size. When they reject your photo, they will point you to the photo booth in the corner that will happily take your photos in the correct size for an overinflated price.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 10:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Toronto1970
The Chinese visa processing centre in Toronto (which isn't located at the consulate itself) is VERY picky about the photo size. When they reject your photo, they will point you to the photo booth in the corner that will happily take your photos in the correct size for an overinflated price.
When I was applying for an RP in Shenzhen ~5 years ago, the PSB didn't like my photo, and sent me to the overpriced photo studio next door. Of course a kickback was part of the drill, but spending $3 for a photo is far preferable to making a second trip to the PSB.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.