Wiki Posts
Search

Peking transfer El Al.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2018, 6:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas Plat
Peking transfer El Al.

Am sourcing Info needed for tricky one world Award flight. Currently have Syd-HK-Peking-Tel Aviv booked. Flights from Sydney to Peking are on CX and the final leg on El Al. There is about 90 minutes transit between each sector. I’m presuming/hoping that luggage is booked through to Tel Aviv. Have been told of issues with Peking and to avoid if possible and also the El Al is on the 777 in J. Reduced expectations there.

My question - does anyone see any issues with transfers here and with additional security required by EL Al given I’m presuming that luggage isn’t collected in Peking. I’ve checked and there is nothing much else available as an award right now but will change of that becomes an option.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 8:13 am

I can't think of what the issues would be. If your luggage is checked through, you only need to pass security (as in most places in the world). Both airlines are in the same terminal. Go to Youtube and there are some videos showing you the process.
Minimum connection time is 60 minutes.
pushka likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 8:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

With only three flights per week in El Al, I'd be a little worried.
pushka likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 8:44 pm

First, of course you need to verify your luggage will be checked all the way through to Tel Aviv, that El Al has no special security rule requiring you to re-check it personally in Beijing.

Second, look at what time of day you're transiting. My impression is that the terminal serves as a transit hub and gets inundated with passengers a few times a day. The normal security check lines can be very long if your arrival is timed bad.
pushka likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 11:51 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
HKG-PEK is very prone to delay, making this a very high-risk itinerary.
moondog and pushka like this.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 7:03 am

Originally Posted by HkCaGu
HKG-PEK is very prone to delay, making this a very high-risk itinerary.
Actually, I would think that "au contraire" it helps him. As I understand it, delays are frequent but on departures. Incoming flights are not asked to fly around for hours before landing. Unless they departed late, incoming flights will more or less be on time. The fact that flights often depart late in PEK could give the OP even more time.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 9:30 am

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by JPDM
Actually, I would think that "au contraire" it helps him. As I understand it, delays are frequent but on departures. Incoming flights are not asked to fly around for hours before landing. Unless they departed late, incoming flights will more or less be on time. The fact that flights often depart late in PEK could give the OP even more time.
You may have misunderstood. Short haul arrivals are easier to hold at origin as it involves fewer foreign authorities. China's traffic jams are mainly caused by capacity limitation of airways (especially in the populated eastern part, including the HKG-WUH-PEK corridor). Departure delays can also be caused by capacity control, but also by incoming equipment delays. So El Al incoming flying TLV-PEK will face little to no barriers in flying on time, and since PEK is an outstation with no substantial connecting traffic, they won't hold their flight to wait for late passengers (a super rainstorm preventing passengers reaching PEK on the ground, possibly including their crew, that's a different story). (Israel has delay compensation law too!) Being on an award ticket puts you on an even lower priority--especially when "revenue" passengers don't normally interline this way.

I think many on this forum will agree that "friends don't let friends connect (unless long layover) in China (PEK/PVG), especially short-haul to long-haul, especially interline, especially on award tickets"!
Old Jan 3, 2019, 9:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas Plat
Thanks everyone. I’ve managed to change it and avoid Beijing. The risk of being stuck there was too much.

Last edited by pushka; Jan 4, 2019 at 12:42 am
Old Jan 3, 2019, 10:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by pushka
Thanks everyone. I’ve maneged to change it and avoid Beijing. The risk of being stuck there was too much.
Good call.
pushka likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.