Wiki Posts
Search

PEK Same Day Turnaround

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2018, 8:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Ex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver
PEK Same Day Turnaround

I'm looking to do a mileage run to PEK from PHX through LAX. I would arrive at 4:20pm and departure is at 6:30pm. I have a Chinese Visa and an APEC card. Is this doable? I'm able to book the flight but want to make sure it's in the realm of possibility. I'll be flying AA so it looks like I'll be in and out of Terminal 2. If anyone can provide any insight on any grief I would get or any issues I might have flipping the flight like this I would appreciate it.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 3:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
Originally Posted by Robertsonland
I'm looking to do a mileage run to PEK from PHX through LAX. I would arrive at 4:20pm and departure is at 6:30pm. I have a Chinese Visa and an APEC card. Is this doable? I'm able to book the flight but want to make sure it's in the realm of possibility. I'll be flying AA so it looks like I'll be in and out of Terminal 2. If anyone can provide any insight on any grief I would get or any issues I might have flipping the flight like this I would appreciate it.

No grief at all. Terminal 2 isn't as busy as Terminal 3. I've been seat to landside in less than 30 minutes both time I've done it. Getting back through isn't difficult either. You won't need to spend any time walking around T2 because there is absolutely nothing to do there.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Uncle Nonny
No grief at all. Terminal 2 isn't as busy as Terminal 3. I've been seat to landside in less than 30 minutes both time I've done it. Getting back through isn't difficult either. You won't need to spend any time walking around T2 because there is absolutely nothing to do there.
Thank you! That was very helpful. Makes me feel much more comfortable about doing this trip.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 8:20 am

Programs: BA - Blue
The only caveat I would add, is that there is exit/ entry "immigration" in China (unlike e.g. the US). So when you basically exit T2, and then try to re-enter, I have no idea whether that would raise eyebrows. The officials don't really speak good English, and I'm not sure "mileage run" is in the vocab! Also, if you have a business visa, but aren't conducing business, officially, you aren't using the correct immigration instrument.

These are things that wouldn't present a problem is many places, but I can imagine they might in China...

Do report back, since it would be a useful data point. With AA cutting several of its China routes, I'm sure others on FT will be looking for mileage run opportunities!

tb
Old Sep 14, 2018, 2:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by trueblu
The only caveat I would add, is that there is exit/ entry "immigration" in China (unlike e.g. the US). So when you basically exit T2, and then try to re-enter, I have no idea whether that would raise eyebrows. The officials don't really speak good English, and I'm not sure "mileage run" is in the vocab! Also, if you have a business visa, but aren't conducing business, officially, you aren't using the correct immigration instrument.

These are things that wouldn't present a problem is many places, but I can imagine they might in China...

Do report back, since it would be a useful data point. With AA cutting several of its China routes, I'm sure others on FT will be looking for mileage run opportunities!

tb
The exit/entry was one of the things I was concerned about. I haven't made the flight booking yet but will definitely report back if I do make the run. My 10 year Chinese visa was for tourist or short term business so that shouldn't be a problem from what I was told by the company that did the visa.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.