CAN transit

Old Apr 8, 18, 3:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY+
CAN transit

I just booked the following trip HEL-CAN-MNL-CAN-HEL 20.6-9.7, 3 separate tickets AY HEL-CAN-HEL, CZ CAN-MNL (21.6) and PR MNL-CAN (9.7). Reading the forum and other sources I'm getting a bit worried and confused about the TWOV rules. Can I do the trip without a visa or should I apply for a double entry transit visa (I have a Finnish passport)? I have a 6 hour transit time outbound and 4 hours inbound in CAN, is it enough time to get through immigration and pick up luggage and check in again? Thanks in advance, any insights would be appreciated!
Old Apr 10, 18, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Hi and welcome to FT!

Please see this dedicated thread on FT for matters related to TWOV. The wiki and the last few pages of the thread contain the very latest information from official and passenger sources: China 24, 72, and 144 hour Transit Without Visa ("TWOV") rules master thread

WRT CAN the restrictions now seem lifted and you should be good for travel. More details in the thread above.
Old Apr 14, 18, 3:53 pm

Welcome to flyertalk, m_flyer!

The thread linked above is a good reference. Re: your specific concerns, it is just fine that your flights are on separate tickets, and your routing qualifies for TWOV. I have never used TWOV, but at CAN I think your transit times will be fine. Just be prepared to walk a fair distance!
Old Apr 16, 18, 2:30 pm

Programs: FB Platinum; Priority Club Spire; HHonors Silver
It's a bit risky going through CAN in summer on separate tickets. Delays due to thunderstorms are pretty common. If you're on a single ticket then its just a delay that the airline (presumably CZ) will sort out. With separate tickets, you're on your own. Also if you're flying out late evening then getting back through international security at CAN could be depressingly long-winded due to the volume of flights going out around midnight.

Search this Thread