Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

72/144 Hour China Transit Rule... Does my Itinerary work?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2018, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MVP Gold 75k, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold

Hello, American Passport holder with an upcoming trip in May.

I am flying SEA-SFO-HND, two day layover, then HND-PVG with a three day (under 72 hours) layover. Then PVG-HKG. Flights to PVG are on Japan Airlines, and then Cathay onto HKG.

Does my itinerary qualify for visa free transit? Also, are JAL employees in HND aware of this policy?
Old Jan 13, 2018, 3:05 pm

HND-PVG-HKG is clearly a transit. No problem.
We don't know what employees know. They should. If you have issues, ask for a supervisor and tell them to consult TIMATIC.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

Thank You!

Originally Posted by JPDM
HND-PVG-HKG is clearly a transit. No problem.
We don't know what employees know. They should. If you have issues, ask for a supervisor and tell them to consult TIMATIC.
Thank you very much. I was worried that I was not transiting directly from the US. I assumed it was okay but didn't want to get stuck in Japan.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 2:47 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold
Your route works. Just in case employees don't know, maybe you can just bring printed 144 hours transit policy to HND. But I think staffs in airports in Tokyo know about the policy, many foreigners must have already taken advantages of this policy.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 9:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by weiwunokenan
Your route works. Just in case employees don't know, maybe you can just bring printed 144 hours transit policy to HND. But I think staffs in airports in Tokyo know about the policy, many foreigners must have already taken advantages of this policy.
Thanks!!!
Old Jan 15, 2018, 1:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by seahawkflyer
Hello, American Passport holder with an upcoming trip in May.

I am flying SEA-SFO-HND, two day layover, then HND-PVG with a three day (under 72 hours) layover. Then PVG-HKG. Flights to PVG are on Japan Airlines, and then Cathay onto HKG.

Does my itinerary qualify for visa free transit? Also, are JAL employees in HND aware of this policy?
Your itinerary is fine, you'll be granted a 144 hour entry permit. There's also some detailed information in the wiki of this thread with links to TIMATIC if you want to print them out: China 24, 72, and 144 hour Transit Without Visa ("TWOV") rules master thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.