Search

Looking for a travel guide in Xi'an for half a day

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2018, 7:51 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Looking for a travel guide in Xi'an for half a day

So I need to go to Chengdu for work. I figured it would be a complete waste to just fly in and go back, but I can't take any time off, so I concocted this insane plan of flying into Xi'an (a flight via ICN gets me in at 12:20pm), going to see the Terracotta warriors plus maybe the tomb of the emperor nearby, and then make a mad dash to the 19:xx train (there are two, I think - 19:07 and 19:32) to Chengdu. Sleep in Chengdu and go to work.

Based on the things I'm reading, this should be entirely doable (traffic notwithstanding; but I think realtime traffic should be useful enough?). Get in at 12:20, should be out of the airport by 13:00'ish? (XIY has a diplomatic lane? + no checked bags), Terracotta by 14:00-14:30, 3 hours there, leave for train at 18:00, 45 mins + traffic = in train station by 19:00, leaving plenty of time to pick up tickets and board the train.

That said, I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a driver. I could use DiDi, but I'll have a carryon bag, and I'd ideally prefer to have someone trustworthy to leave everything in the car and who'd be close by. Any thoughts on this?
Old Jan 12, 2018, 8:15 am

I have used Dingyi. Nice guy and he speaks good English.
[email protected] - +86 180 0922 0086
Old Jan 14, 2018, 1:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JPDM
I have used Dingyi. Nice guy and he speaks good English.
[email protected] - +86 180 0922 0086
Thanks! I'll send him a mail.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 3:50 am
qpr

Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
So I need to go to Chengdu for work. I figured it would be a complete waste to just fly in and go back, but I can't take any time off, so I concocted this insane plan of flying into Xi'an (a flight via ICN gets me in at 12:20pm), going to see the Terracotta warriors plus maybe the tomb of the emperor nearby, and then make a mad dash to the 19:xx train (there are two, I think - 19:07 and 19:32) to Chengdu. Sleep in Chengdu and go to work.

Based on the things I'm reading, this should be entirely doable (traffic notwithstanding; but I think realtime traffic should be useful enough?). Get in at 12:20, should be out of the airport by 13:00'ish? (XIY has a diplomatic lane? + no checked bags), Terracotta by 14:00-14:30, 3 hours there, leave for train at 18:00, 45 mins + traffic = in train station by 19:00, leaving plenty of time to pick up tickets and board the train.

That said, I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a driver. I could use DiDi, but I'll have a carryon bag, and I'd ideally prefer to have someone trustworthy to leave everything in the car and who'd be close by. Any thoughts on this?
To be at the train station at 19:00 to pick up tickets for a 19:32 train is not enough time.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 4:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by qpr
To be at the train station at 19:00 to pick up tickets for a 19:32 train is not enough time.
Yeah I’m a little bit concerned about that, but I’m thinking if I use the above mentioned guide I could send him the tickets and then it’s just a question of boarding the train?
Old Jan 14, 2018, 5:27 am
qpr

You can buy the tickets online and send the driver your passport number that he can pick them up in advance.
But you still have to go through security and ticket checks.
So you better not to be late.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 8:03 am

The driver cannot pick up tickets with just a passport number. He need the passport, or, if he gets an accommodating clerk, just a photocopy.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 8:21 am
Original Poster

1) if I buy from Ctrip, they seem to say they can mail the tickets to an address in China. Can i avoid a pickup then ?

2) Can I help avoid any lines/speed things up by buying first or business class tickets? (faster gates / security / etc)?
Old Jan 14, 2018, 11:04 pm

Programs: JL JML, Delta Plat, CA Plat, CZ Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton DM
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
1) if I buy from Ctrip, they seem to say they can mail the tickets to an address in China. Can i avoid a pickup then ?

2) Can I help avoid any lines/speed things up by buying first or business class tickets? (faster gates / security / etc)?
Unfortunately there are no fast lanes for First Class/Biz Class at train station. And I guess even for the delivery they have to check identifications upon delivery so I'll suggest you save more time and pick up yourself at train stations. BTW don't forget train station in-person pickup requires an ticket pick up code where should be written on ur Ctrip order.
Have fun in China!
Old Jan 15, 2018, 8:34 am

No special privilege for 1st or biz class ticket holders except for a nice waiting area in some stations.
But lines aren't so bad in any case.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.