Wiki Posts
Search

Chinese-only airfares?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2017, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jamoldo
I think CTrip has this for hotel reservations as well. Maybe a reason to marry someone from the motherland! ;P
We just hit hotels that wouldn't take foreigners--something I thought was long past.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 11:10 pm

No, the the no-foreigner restrictions still exist. And my impression is they're becoming stricter.

I've sometimes noticed room rate differences between English/Chinese ctrip and elong, but looking at the fine print, the terms are usually different. For example, the Chinese site may offer a cheaper room on a pre-paid basis that isn't available on the English site.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 7:50 am
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
Delete

Last edited by anacapamalibu; Jun 2, 2017 at 7:59 am
Old Jun 2, 2017, 7:58 am
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
Originally Posted by ProleOnParole
The interpretation of residency depends on the state but is not directly related to nationality. In the case of California, all it takes is being able to prove living there for more than a year, and foreigners can qualify as well. As far as I know even the immigration status is not verified.
One of 4 elements for resident tuition.

You must have the legal ability to establish a permanent domicile in the United States, meaning that you must be a citizen or permanent resident of the United States or hold a valid, qualifying nonimmigrant visa.

Or

A recipient of the Congressional Medal of Honor, including the child of a
recipient of the Congressional Medal of Honor, is eligible for an exemption from
nonresident supplemental tuition and mandatory system-wide fees.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 889
No, the the no-foreigner restrictions still exist. And my impression is they're becoming stricter.

I've sometimes noticed room rate differences between English/Chinese ctrip and elong, but looking at the fine print, the terms are usually different. For example, the Chinese site may offer a cheaper room on a pre-paid basis that isn't available on the English site.
I thought everybody could register foreigners at this point but we get to our hotel and get turned away. (The booking was made by a local.) We started looking around for a room, several places turned us away. The place we stayed simply accepted the local IDs of her sisters and ignored us.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 8:08 pm

Like I said, it appears to be getting more difficult than ever for foreigners to stay in even two- and three-star hotels in parts of China.

I normally use the revolving-door rule: if a place is good enough to have a revolving door, then it's good enough to accept foreigners. But that rule is no longer reliable.

About 15 years ago, the Chinese government did in fact announce that the shewai system was being abolished in some cities -- including Beijing -- and that foreigners could stay in any hotel there. But in spite of the announcement, the shewai system was in fact not abolished.

In any event, there's a lot of local variation, so in some places finding a room can be very difficult, in others not.

And yes, as your recent experience indicated, it can be exasperating to arrive at night only to find the hotel won't take you, and who knows how you'll find a room somewhere. Intolerable that travellers should be put through that sort of travail in 2017 China.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 889
Like I said, it appears to be getting more difficult than ever for foreigners to stay in even two- and three-star hotels in parts of China.

I normally use the revolving-door rule: if a place is good enough to have a revolving door, then it's good enough to accept foreigners. But that rule is no longer reliable.

About 15 years ago, the Chinese government did in fact announce that the shewai system was being abolished in some cities -- including Beijing -- and that foreigners could stay in any hotel there. But in spite of the announcement, the shewai system was in fact not abolished.
Ok, so it was only supposed to be gone, not actually gone.

We weren't after anything fancy, anyway. We were simply spending the night with an early departure in the morning, why spend money on fancy we wouldn't appreciate? Where we ended up staying was fine by that standard, but certainly not revolving-door quality.

In any event, there's a lot of local variation, so in some places finding a room can be very difficult, in others not.

And yes, as your recent experience indicated, it can be exasperating to arrive at night only to find the hotel won't take you, and who knows how you'll find a room somewhere. Intolerable that travellers should be put through that sort of travail in 2017 China.
Yeah, walking down the street checking hotel after hotel wasn't fun, and came close to messing up our travel plans--the bus station closed while we were trying to find a place and we needed to buy tickets for a bus the next morning. Fortunately there were still seats when we got there when it opened.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 12:48 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Ex-UA-1K
I downloaded the Ctrip English app simply to know where I would be allowed to stay sometimes. The general rates are actually largely the same - the main different being the Chinese app will show an all-in price while the English app uses the pre-tax price.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mackenzie77
I downloaded the Ctrip English app simply to know where I would be allowed to stay sometimes. The general rates are actually largely the same - the main different being the Chinese app will show an all-in price while the English app uses the pre-tax price.
Good idea. I'll do that for our next trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.