Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Chinese-only airfares?

Chinese-only airfares?

Old Apr 22, 2017, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Chinese-only airfares?

I thought that sort of thing was long past--yet my SIL found a fare that can't be booked on a US passport. Huh?
Old Apr 22, 2017, 9:24 pm

Details?
Old Apr 23, 2017, 3:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Website? Airline? travel agency?

Was it bookable with other passports beside PRC? PRC-HK? PRC-Macao?

My TA in HK did mentioned there were special residency/nationality offers for travels a few years back.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tentseller
Website? Airline? travel agency?

Was it bookable with other passports beside PRC? PRC-HK? PRC-Macao?

My TA in HK did mentioned there were special residency/nationality offers for travels a few years back.
I don't have all the details. The flight in question was Shanghai -> Chengdu, SIL (Chinese citizen, living in Shanghai) found a fare substantially better than what I could find but when she tried to book it they wouldn't accept people with US passports. I have no idea what would have happened with any other foreign passport.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 5:26 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
I don't have all the details. The flight in question was Shanghai -> Chengdu, SIL (Chinese citizen, living in Shanghai) found a fare substantially better than what I could find but when she tried to book it they wouldn't accept people with US passports. I have no idea what would have happened with any other foreign passport.
It sounds like this may just be a TA or web site issue that they can only enter Chinese ID #.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 11:14 am
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
UC
charges foreign students $22,878 annually on top of $12,192 in tuition.
They travel extensively to China to recruit.

Charging more for foreigners on China flights is a good way to recoup.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
^

Originally Posted by anacapamalibu
UC

Old Apr 27, 2017, 7:25 pm

An unwarranted suggestion of discrimination there.

Chinese studying at UC pay that rate of tuition not because they're foreigners, but because they're not residents of California. Americans not resident in California pay the same.

http://admission.universityofcalifor...tion-and-cost/
Old Apr 27, 2017, 7:40 pm

Do the math.

About 95 percent of undergraduates enrolled in the system were California residents in 2007. That number dropped to under 87 percent in the 2014-15 academic year, as the state Legislature cut more than $810 million in funding, after adjusting for inflation. Meanwhile, international enrollment increased nearly fivefold over the same period, from 1.8 percent to 8.5 percent of the student body. The number of domestic out-of-state students grew by just under two percentage points.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cxfan1960
It sounds like this may just be a TA or web site issue that they can only enter Chinese ID #.
Good point. I've spent 15 minutes at the internet cafe once because the clerk (I think new, I didn't recognize her) couldn't figure out how to get the system to accept my passport.
Old May 5, 2017, 4:01 am

UC

Recoup what? For who? The money doesn't go to the students.
Old May 5, 2017, 7:39 am

It goes to the "people".
Old May 29, 2017, 9:22 pm

Programs: LH M&M, CX MPC Green
I think CTrip has this for hotel reservations as well. Maybe a reason to marry someone from the motherland! ;P
Old May 30, 2017, 5:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
UC

OT, but if you want so see some examples of universities doing price discrimination on the basis of nationality/residence, look to the UK and especially the many large terminal master degree programs oriented toward foreign students. Tuition rates are as follows: UK << EU <<elsewhere.
Old May 30, 2017, 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Tuition rates are as follows: UK << EU <<elsewhere.
Tuition fees must be equal for all EU citizens as long as the UK remains a member. In some countries they could try to differentiate them by the language of instruction but this wouldn't work in the case of the UK for obvious reasons. Can you give an example of the rates being different for the UK and other EU nationals anywhere?

And in general this is because the UK government subsidizes the tuition fees of their nationals. Does the Chinese government subsidize travel expenses of the Chinese people?

In the US, there are different tuition rates for residents and non-residents. The interpretation of residency depends on the state but is not directly related to nationality. In the case of California, all it takes is being able to prove living there for more than a year, and foreigners can qualify as well. As far as I know even the immigration status is not verified.

I think what happened was probably just an unintended glitch in the system but in any case all these tuition analogies are just spurious.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.