China to fingerprint foreign visitors 14-70 by end of 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2017, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
When those fingerprints come up as a match for the guy who was suspected of dirty deeds last year. Same as all the license scofflaws that have been caught by facial recognition at the DMV.
Okay, I was hung up on those turnstile things that have neither face recognition nor fingerprint scanners at this point.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gpia
Okay, I was hung up on those turnstile things that have neither face recognition nor fingerprint scanners at this point.
The point of fingerprint scanning (and facial recognition) is comparing the person against databases, not comparing them to their documents.
Old Feb 11, 2017, 4:03 am
Original Poster

Apparently the new Hong Kong exit system at the airport will compare against the image stored on the passport chip, according to Director of Immigration Tsang:

"'Visitors will have to place the e-passport on the reader before entering the e-channel. They then have to look into a camera for facial identity verification. The computer will compare the image with the picture stored in the chip of the e-passport. No fingerprints are needed for identification,' Tsang said, adding that the gate would open if the visitor’s identity is verified."

http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/l...launch-foreign
Old Feb 11, 2017, 10:57 am
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
The point of fingerprint scanning (and facial recognition) is comparing the person against databases, not comparing them to their documents.
Primary is to facilitate positive identity.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 8:50 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Malaysia took my fingerprints leaving (KUL) but not entering (at JB) last month.

As for China joining the club, not too shocking.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 9:03 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

Currently, foreign visitors are fingerprinted on arrival at POE Shenzhen Bao'an International Airport / SZX, but by the end of 2017 China intends to fingerprint all foreign visitors age 14-70 on arrival from international origins (much as has been done in the US since 2004. (International Travel News, April 2017.)
Old Mar 20, 2017, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JDiver
Currently, foreign visitors are fingerprinted on arrival at POE Shenzhen Bao'an International Airport / SZX, but by the end of 2017 China intends to fingerprint all foreign visitors age 14-70 on arrival from international origins (much as has been done in the US since 2004. (International Travel News, April 2017.)
Why the age cutoff?

I can understand on the young side but why on the old?
Old Mar 20, 2017, 10:04 pm

Already discussed here 1.5 months ago:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china...e-borders.html
Old Mar 21, 2017, 12:10 am

Programs: various
Why the age cutoff?

I can understand on the young side but why on the old?
Because seniors are considered too decrepit to be a threat?
Because old fingers are so wrinkled that they can't get clear prints off of them?
Old Mar 21, 2017, 7:51 am

Chinese tradition of law age 70 is old age. Confucian philosophy of filial piety.

Similar to China's policy of 128 days paid maternity leave. The country has a different level of respect for human rights...
Old Jun 11, 2017, 1:42 pm

Fingerprinting of Foreign Travellers

Has China started implementing fingerprinting of foreign visitors at airports other than Shenzen or at Shenzen-HK land crossings? I read this article with dismay. I want to visit a friend in China in September 2017 but do not agree with fingerprinting for privacy and human right reasons, so I want to plan my route accordingly. I am a Canadian citizen.

http://www.scmp.com/news/china/polic...entry-new-rule
Old Jun 11, 2017, 9:27 pm

Human rights reasons? Other than Canadians, every nationality gets fingerprinted when entering the US. Same with Japan. China is not the first "civilized" country to require this. Actually they are trailing behind others.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by goldom1234
Has China started implementing fingerprinting of foreign visitors at airports other than Shenzen or at Shenzen-HK land crossings? I read this article with dismay. I want to visit a friend in China in September 2017 but do not agree with fingerprinting for privacy and human right reasons, so I want to plan my route accordingly. I am a Canadian citizen.

http://www.scmp.com/news/china/polic...entry-new-rule
May 9, PVG, no prints.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 1:28 am

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
Malaysia took my fingerprints leaving (KUL) but not entering (at JB) last month.

As for China joining the club, not too shocking.
I thought in Malaysia they fingerprinted at airports but not land borders?
Old Jun 12, 2017, 8:14 am

China more into facial recognition as you can sell the info and use for commercial purposes.

https://www.ft.com/content/ae2ec0ac-4744-11e7-8519-9f94ee97d996

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.