Search

China to fingerprint foreign visitors 14-70 by end of 2017

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2017, 3:52 pm
Original Poster

Fingerprinting Coming to Chinese Borders

China is to start fingerprinting foreigners on arrival:

http://www.scmp.com/news/china/polic...entry-new-rule

(At Luohu there's a new turnstyle after passport control for scanning visas; perhaps a fingerprint scanner will be added.)

Let it not be forgotten why Americans can not get visas on arrival in China, such as the five-day Shenzhen visa at Luohu: because the Chinese government blocked those visas for Americans in 2004 in a fit of pique over America fingerprinting visa applicants.

http://app1.chinadaily.com.cn/star/2004/0408/fo7-1.html

Any bets on how soon China will rescind those restrictions? All on the basis of reciprocity, of course.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 8:14 pm

So it's going to be like visiting the US (except for us Canadians).
Old Feb 9, 2017, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by 889
(At Luohu there's a new turnstyle after passport control for scanning visas; perhaps a fingerprint scanner will be added.)
Those things scan the passport page, not the visa. And they are designed in a way that hard cover passports cannot be inserted - you need to completely fold out the plastic page. There will be a lot of passport pages breaking off at those turnstiles.

Can't imagine kiosk style immigration coming any time soon
Old Feb 9, 2017, 8:50 pm
Original Poster

Are we talking about the same thing?

I'm talking about a set of turnstyles installed in the past few weeks at Luohu, right behind the immigration desks. There were no signs up as to the procedure, but the fellow standing there took my passport and -- I'm pretty sure -- turned to the visa page, put it down on a scanner plate on the turnstyle, a light flashed as the page was photographed, and I passed through the turnstyle. Nothing to be inserted: just put the page on the scanner.

(These aren't a substitute for passport control, but a second check.)
Old Feb 9, 2017, 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by 889
Are we talking about the same thing?

I'm talking about a set of turnstyles installed in the past few weeks at Luohu, right behind the immigration desks. There were no signs up as to the procedure, but the fellow standing there took my passport and -- I'm pretty sure -- turned to the visa page, put it down on a scanner plate on the turnstyle, a light flashed as the page was photographed, and I passed through the turnstyle. Nothing to be inserted: just put the page on the scanner.

(These aren't a substitute for passport control, but a second check.)
Yes, we are talking about the same things. Also remember no instructions whatsoever and many puzzled travelers standing around. One of the attendants took a picture of my buddies passport cover (the outside, no personal info) with his iphone, apparently he had never seen one from Serbia before

And I remember the passport page was indeed scanned because I was afraid my passport would break (again) in the process of bending it like that. The scanner has some sort of "cover", which the passport slides under but doesn't fit the hardcover style passports. If you have a HK, CN or US passport you wouldn't have that problem.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 9:25 pm

I bet you this is to weed out the one nationality law that China abides to (TIN FOIL HAT ON!).
Old Feb 9, 2017, 9:42 pm
Original Poster

I assumed it was a check on the immigration staff or on people somehow slipping past.

(I can't say positively the guy put my visa page on the scanner, but that's what I recall.)
Old Feb 9, 2017, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 889
I assumed it was a check on the immigration staff or on people somehow slipping past.

(I can't say positively the guy put my visa page on the scanner, but that's what I recall.)
It keeps bad guys from slipping in under assumed identities.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
It keeps bad guys from slipping in under assumed identities.
How would a passport scanning machine do that better than the immigration officer 5 meters prior?
Old Feb 10, 2017, 4:56 am

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Immigration in TPE also fingerprints foreigners too. It seems more and more places will fingerprint foreigners.

Last edited by cxfan1960; Feb 10, 2017 at 5:02 am
Old Feb 10, 2017, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by cxfan1960
Immigration in TPE also fingerprints foreigners too. It seems more and more places will fingerprint foreigners.
Japanese have done for some time, Americans for quite a while. Expect more in the future.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 11:44 am
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
Some countries' biometric passports contain fingerprint data. So
could enhance identity verification by fingerprinting upon entry. US
passports don't contain that data.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 12:57 pm

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Originally Posted by JPDM
Japanese have done for some time, Americans for quite a while. Expect more in the future.
Korea as well, I think on one hand to counter alleged Chinese criminals slipping into country and also to "pay back" to Japan and the US in kind.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 3:47 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by mosburger
Korea as well, I think on one hand to counter alleged Chinese criminals slipping into country and also to "pay back" to Japan and the US in kind.
I don't know why for Korea, but they fingerprint me every time I enter and exit these days. They actually maintain a record.

I don't know the reason for Mainland China, but probably to track people entering and exiting and for public security reasons too.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gpia
How would a passport scanning machine do that better than the immigration officer 5 meters prior?
When those fingerprints come up as a match for the guy who was suspected of dirty deeds last year. Same as all the license scofflaws that have been caught by facial recognition at the DMV.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.