Community
Wiki Posts
Search

eChannel using passports

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2018, 3:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sniles
I arrived at PVG T2 yesterday and since the new fingerprint scanning procedures were introduced April 28th, I'm no longer able to use e-channel for entry. I was told by an officer that foreigners registered to use the e-channel will need to complete the fingerprint procedures at level 2 followed by manned passport control a total of 3 entries before being able to use e-channel again.
As mentioned in the fingerprinting thread, this is the complete opposite of my experience at PVG T2 yesterday. I asked the guy if I had to do the fingerprint scanning since I had e channel and he said to just go ahead to the e channel and I didn't need to do the fingerprinting. The e channel worked fine. It seems like they are just winging it with these rules. If they made me get the fingerprints I'd still try and use the e channel even if the guy at the fingerprint scanners tells you not to. The 3 entries thing sounds like a made up rule to me.
Old May 2, 2018, 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
As mentioned in the fingerprinting thread, this is the complete opposite of my experience at PVG T2 yesterday. I asked the guy if I had to do the fingerprint scanning since I had e channel and he said to just go ahead to the e channel and I didn't need to do the fingerprinting. The e channel worked fine. It seems like they are just winging it with these rules. If they made me get the fingerprints I'd still try and use the e channel even if the guy at the fingerprint scanners tells you not to. The 3 entries thing sounds like a made up rule to me.
Perhaps the officers on duty when I was there were not aware of the procedures for foreigners registered for e-channel. I was stopped upstairs at the fingerprint scanning machines and told to scan despite telling them i had e-channel registration and again at the entrance to the e-channel lanes despite again telling them i was registered.

In any case will try again next time around.
Old May 2, 2018, 11:38 pm

Perhaps the officers on duty when I was there were not aware of the procedures for foreigners registered for e-channel. I was stopped upstairs at the fingerprint scanning machines and told to scan despite telling them i had e-channel registration and again at the entrance to the e-channel lanes despite again telling them i was registered.

It is so frustrating, that they never know the rules. My wife got a new passport a few months ago, and her 10 year toursist visa is in her old passport. When we flew into KMG a few days ago, the boarder guard who stamped us in, was new and being trained, and a supervisor was standing behind his shoulder. The supervisor said in Chinese that he was pretty sure that foreigners aren’t allowed to have a visa in an old passport.

Last year, I was using the eChannel, and one of the times I was in line for the eChannel at PEK, a boarder guard came over and told me it was not for foreigners. She was shocked when I was able to enter the country though the eChannel.
Old May 25, 2018, 12:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I went through PVG again today. No problem with not doing the fingerprints. I told the guy at the fingerprint entrance I had the e channel and he told me to just go downstairs. In practice, at least a PVG, it seems pretty easy to avoid the fingerprinting if you have e channel access. E channel worked fine for me again and nobody questioned me. If only I could get it to work on the way out of China...but that's a different issue.
Old May 25, 2018, 12:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by onuhistorian0116
It is so frustrating, that they never know the rules.
This actually have to do with how Chinese Immigration is organized. Unlike most countries, Chinese Immigration is not centralized. The personnel are mostly local employees.

Even the infrastructure is based on a single directive, the application is not. This is why each POE kind of has its own design and rules.
Old May 27, 2018, 4:44 am

Originally Posted by garykung
This actually have to do with how Chinese Immigration is organized. Unlike most countries, Chinese Immigration is not centralized. The personnel are mostly local employees.

Even the infrastructure is based on a single directive, the application is not. This is why each POE kind of has its own design and rules.
I realize that each province and indepent city has their own immigration rules. But, some things are national, like a valid ten your tourist visa in an exoired passport or the eChannel. If my wife went to the Exit Entry Administion and asked for her visa to be transferred, they would refuse to do it.
Old May 27, 2018, 6:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

A residence permit is required. Does your wife have one?
Old May 27, 2018, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by onuhistorian0116
I realize that each province and indepent city has their own immigration rules. But, some things are national, like a valid ten your tourist visa in an exoired passport or the eChannel. If my wife went to the Exit Entry Administion and asked for her visa to be transferred, they would refuse to do it.
Actually, the rules are the same. It is simply the difference on how they are enforced. FWIW - per my observation, as soon as your information is entered into the MPS system by any PSB, you should be able to use the eChannel regardless of the POEs in question.

But the problem is visa is at the national level and is not issued by MPS, but MFA instead, which is similar to the U.S. (State Department issues visa, but CBP controls the immigration). Of course - no PSB will take care of that for you.

Also - don't forget one of the major issue - Chinese is the official language. So when you communicate in English, PSBs have all the excuses not to understand (it is also one of the reasons why rules against foreigners are lax than Chinese).
Old May 30, 2018, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by moondog
Many thanks for this. In fact, my passport name is FIRST MIDDLE LAST, while my ctrip profile name is LAST/FIRST MI. I will fix this to LAST/FIRST MIDDLE, and report back wrt exits.
For my latest flight I tried combining my first and middle names on my ticket & boarding pass as one single name (LAST/FIRSTMIDDLE rather than LAST/FIRST MIDDLE), and was able to successfully use the e-channel to exit the country this time. Perhaps a workaround for those having middle names, or I just got lucky this time.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 1:32 am

Programs: SK EBG, BAEC Gold
If anyone is having problems still using the eChannel leaving China as a result of the boarding pass name check, the magic words seem to be "mingzi tai chang le" (名字太长了). This has worked for me now both at T3 (last month) and T2 (today) where the assistants seem aware of the problem and can manually override the "computer says no" message. You may need to stress also that you are registered (注册了 - zhu ce le) for the eChannel.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 2:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I forgot to come here and comment when I left Hongqiao last time, about 3 weeks ago. It seems they have put in some fix for the exact name match issue and I can now use the exit as well as entry. This is great news and will give me even more certainty about arriving at PVG 1:10 before all my flights now!
Old Mar 26, 2019, 11:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
I forgot to come here and comment when I left Hongqiao last time, about 3 weeks ago. It seems they have put in some fix for the exact name match issue and I can now use the exit as well as entry. This is great news and will give me even more certainty about arriving at PVG 1:10 before all my flights now!
I attempted to post a longish reply to this thread two minutes ago, but FT managed to lose it, so here is a short reply.

1. If you have an RP or similar, echannel is a MUST HAVE
2. I pulled off Shenzhen Bay (end to end) in under 6 minutes last week
3. Those of us with B RPs need to reapply every year
4. A RPs are valid for 3 or 5 years, but in Shanghai, you need to pay Y10k per month in taxes in order to qualify (few other cities seem to have this requirement)
Old Mar 27, 2019, 12:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
I am getting my Chinese work visa renewed in the same passport that I have registered for e-Channel two years ago, do I have to re-apply again or it is business as usual for me to access e-Channel?Any recent experience to share?Len
Old Mar 27, 2019, 1:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
I am getting my Chinese work visa renewed in the same passport that I have registered for e-Channel two years ago, do I have to re-apply again or it is business as usual for me to access e-Channel?Any recent experience to share?Len
You need to submit a new application. Hopefully, they will work out this bug within the next year.
UA_Flyer likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer

I renewed my residence permit last month in my same passport. You'll need to register again. I tried to register entering at PVG earlier in March and the immigration dude told me they had a new requirement (mentioned above) that you need to enter the normal way a couple times before they let you register for e channel now. I was in Shenzhen this past week and decided to try to register at Futian border crossing, the lady there processed my registration and said it would be active in one day. I entered through PVG yesterday using the e channel, so all is set for me for the next two years it seems.
UA_Flyer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.