Search

What should I know about NKG airport?

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2016, 9:43 pm

Flying from Nanjing to Shanghai??? Wow!
Old May 26, 2016, 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by JPDM
I was thinking of it as a connection to NKG from elsewhere, probably not PVG! I'll be flying from YYJ (or YVR or SEA) to the general area. I could get a car service from PVG but really hate the drive. I prefer trains and planes to automobiles .

For example... I could connect in PEK to WUX fairly easily. Maybe there is a nice connection from somewhere that gives a decent J/PE fare and lets me avoid PVG.

Dr. PITUK

Last edited by painintheuk; May 26, 2016 at 10:11 pm
Old May 27, 2016, 12:27 am

The new NKG airport is really easy to get into China - not so much international flights, so when flying in C (or first rows Y) you're almost guaranteed no queue. Baggage is out quick as well, I've made it from wheels down onto the highway in less than 20min quite consistently. Without priority tags (seems to be working fine, both for *A as well as ST) I guess you might have to add a few minutes.

In short: If you are going for anywhere in between Shanghai and Nanjing, I'd definitely prefer going via NKG over PVG.

SHA is a different kind, as it's easy to use with the trains, but NKG isn't too bad either. Take S-Bahn from it directly to Nanjing South station, where most of the High-Speed Trains are leaving from (Nanjing Station in the North still has some, but not that many anymore)

Considering long haul you can't really get into SHA, NKG wins hands down over PVG.

Unfortunately only Lufthansa is flying there from Europe directly, and only 3x weekly, but whenever it fits my schedule, I'll use them. It's SOOO much less hassle.

If your final destination is NKG, and you're landing in PVG, there is 1x daily MU flight - obviously a joke as a city-connection, it works well when you're in PVG anyway and needing to go somewhere in NKG that isn't really in the North of the city.
Old May 27, 2016, 10:07 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
If your final destination is NKG, and you're landing in PVG, there is 1x daily MU flight - obviously a joke as a city-connection, it works well when you're in PVG anyway and needing to go somewhere in NKG that isn't really in the North of the city.
FYI, Moondog has said that the MU flight is almost always delayed...at least when I asked this forum about it 1.5 years ago.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 7:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
I'm connecting from the US in PVG and onto NKG. Originally we were going to drive, but with schedules it ended up working better to fly the group into NKG.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 8:23 am

There aren't many flights between Nanjing and Pudong (1 per day?). so the timing has to really work otherwise it's better to just take the train than sit around for the connection..
Old Jun 5, 2016, 1:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

There aren't many flights between Nanjing and Pudong (1 per day?). so the timing has to really work otherwise it's better to just take the train than sit around for the connection..
-There isn't a train from PVG to anywhere
-The one flight to NKG is timed to make connections feasible
Old Jun 5, 2016, 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by moondog
-The one flight to NKG is timed to make connections feasible
Of course not from Pudong, the train is in Shanghai, still faster. When going to China, I always land in Pudong and visit family in Nanjing where I stay. I would never even consider flying. Flying can work for some people but that would be an extremely rare occurrence.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 8:26 pm

Of course not from Pudong, the train is in Shanghai, still faster. When going to China, I always land in Pudong and visit family in Nanjing where I stay. I would never even consider flying. Flying can work for some people but that would be an extremely rare occurrence.
Assuming a 1.5 hour layover, the flight would need to be delayed by at least 2 hours in order for the train to be faster. While this does happen on occasion, the performance of the flight is not quite as bad as I have made it out to be.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 8:31 pm

Silly question, but how do you get to the train? Subway to Hongqiao, or tax in to the city? I HATE the drive to/from PVG and am considering an extra connection in PEK (for example) to arrive in SHA, WUX or NKG on my way to Suzhou.

In the last 4 trips back I flew out of SHA twice and stayed in Shanghai 2 extra nights twice.

Thanks

Dr. PITUK
Old Jun 9, 2016, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by painintheuk
Silly question, but how do you get to the train? Subway to Hongqiao, or tax in to the city? I HATE the drive to/from PVG and am considering an extra connection in PEK (for example) to arrive in SHA, WUX or NKG on my way to Suzhou.

In the last 4 trips back I flew out of SHA twice and stayed in Shanghai 2 extra nights twice.

Thanks

Dr. PITUK
#1 bus
Old Jun 9, 2016, 9:50 pm

#1 bus
Thanks moondog. I'd take the car service instead. I still haven't decided, but I have a couple of months.

Dr. PITUK
Old Jun 9, 2016, 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by painintheuk
Thanks moondog. I'd take the car service instead. I still haven't decided, but I have a couple of months.

Dr. PITUK
If you are going to take a car service, why did you ask how to get to the train?
Old Jun 10, 2016, 12:28 am

The bus from PVG to the trainstation is fine and in most cases not (much) slower than a cab - in fact I prefer it over a cab (not to mention it's about three quarter cheaper..) myself.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 9:47 am
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
True, the PVG Maglev train essentially goes to nowhere.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.