China airport checkpoint procedures: things to watch out for

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

China airport checkpoint procedures: things to watch out for

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2018, 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
The battery is small enough to fly. The question is whether it's printed on the device. I wouldn't trust that Chinese airport security would accept the number printed in the manual.
It's an Epson WF-100 and the label on the bottom says 24 volt. No other label on it.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 9:52 am

Beijing and Qingdao security (International) are some of the worst I have ever had the dis-pleasure in dealing with. I fly a lot, and always have a lot of gear in my carry on due to my work. This includes, camera's, batteries, chargers, cables, computer cables, adapters etc. Going through Beijing, its guaranteed that I have to totally re-pack my bag at security, as the imbecile's there are unable to scan a bag without taking everything out - everything! cables, camera's batteries all, the lot. Even when I tried to make it easier for them, by neatly packing all items and sending the carry on bag, opened and unfolded through the scanner, they still need to scan each friggin cable independently. In Qingdao this resulted in a 20min scanning torture at one occasion as they couldnt decide how many times a USB cable needed to be scanned!!!

Its one more reason to avoid Beijing airport (and possibly China) whenever you can, if you value your sanity and travel with a lot of gear in carry on. You been warned
Old Sep 24, 2018, 1:01 pm

never experienced anything like that at PEK. Sure, it's no great airport and the security could be better organized, but terribly bad? not even close..

Worst security experience in China for me was in HKG - they insisted a nail clipper was forbidden.. (I took that very nail clipper through about 20 airports before, all in hand luggage, no problems ever - funnily, actually, since that included HKG a few months earlier..)

Guy there would simply say "Forbidden, throw"..

Give me PEK over made-up-rules-HKG anytime.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 9:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
never experienced anything like that at PEK. Sure, it's no great airport and the security could be better organized, but terribly bad? not even close..

Worst security experience in China for me was in HKG - they insisted a nail clipper was forbidden.. (I took that very nail clipper through about 20 airports before, all in hand luggage, no problems ever - funnily, actually, since that included HKG a few months earlier..)

Guy there would simply say "Forbidden, throw"..

Give me PEK over made-up-rules-HKG anytime.
Every country/airport increasingly has unique security concerns, which are a bit difficult to stay on top of, but I think PEK is among the most onerous. Setting security aside, HKG is a much more user friendly airport.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by timesnaps
Beijing and Qingdao security (International) are some of the worst I have ever had the dis-pleasure in dealing with. I fly a lot, and always have a lot of gear in my carry on due to my work. This includes, camera's, batteries, chargers, cables, computer cables, adapters etc. Going through Beijing, its guaranteed that I have to totally re-pack my bag at security, as the imbecile's there are unable to scan a bag without taking everything out - everything! cables, camera's batteries all, the lot. Even when I tried to make it easier for them, by neatly packing all items and sending the carry on bag, opened and unfolded through the scanner, they still need to scan each friggin cable independently. In Qingdao this resulted in a 20min scanning torture at one occasion as they couldnt decide how many times a USB cable needed to be scanned!!!

Its one more reason to avoid Beijing airport (and possibly China) whenever you can, if you value your sanity and travel with a lot of gear in carry on. You been warned
They don't like cables period. I have had the same thing over and over again at PVG/SHA.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 6:15 am

Programs: Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by timesnaps

Was a bit surprised this time around when they asked me to take out my camera's SD cards and put them in a separate bin. This is after I've already taken out my lenses, camera, laptop, chargers, portable batteries, and phone. Took a while to put it all back in the bags again.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by moondog
Every country/airport increasingly has unique security concerns, which are a bit difficult to stay on top of, but I think PEK is among the most onerous. Setting security aside, HKG is a much more user friendly airport.
Agreement about PEK - no matter how long I think it will take, bag check there always takes longer that one would think possible. Every cord, sometime my pens, eyeglasses, phone... I think part of the issue is that you can't see the bag check area when your standing in line for immigration so you think you might be almost done and then - wham, another long line. This is INTL - I don't remember a similar line when flying domestic, but maybe I'm blocking it from my memory.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.