Community
Wiki Posts
Search

China airport checkpoint procedures: things to watch out for

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2015, 10:23 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by Iamhappy
Have never had problems with spare batteries for my mobile, or my portable charger (which states the mAh), or my laptop with the battery taken out.
I've had this happen. A colleague and I checked in in PEK for a domestic flight and at security they removed his power pack for his phone and said since it was not marked he could toss it or kuiadi it to any location in China. For whatever reason PVG and SHA don't obsess over power banks but PEK does.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 12:11 am

Programs: AP, HHonours Diamond
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
You're not supposed to check Li-Ion in the US, either.
Isn't that regarding spare batteries with exposed terminals?

My power bank has a WiFi router and a flashlight and the battery is sealed inside. I can't see it being treated any different than any other phone or electronic gadget with Li-ion packs.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 1:11 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by moondog
A friend of mine partied too hard in Tokyo last weekend, and ended up contracting a fever on his flight back to Shanghai Sunday night.
I had a similar experience going the other way. I puked all over the meal tray (luckily getting most of it on the tray). Two KE FAs cleaned up with big smiles on their faces, but then the ISM came over and confirmed my name. Shxt I thought, I'm being reported to the Japanese port authorities for Norovirus or contagious Hangover or something. I thought i was getting the back room treatment on arrival, but luckily dodged it.

Originally Posted by moondog
Once there, the nurse confirmed that he had a very high fever (40), and asked him if she could take a [blood] test.

He replied, "is this a requirement?"

She said, "no".
I would rather be deported. They don't use fresh needles (a friend had a similar experience renewing his PRC cross-border driving permit) (next year he opted to pay the $1,400 "opt-out fee"). My bad. A blood test was involved, didn't look very clean but fresh needles were used.

Last edited by percysmith; Sep 18, 2015 at 7:00 pm
Old Sep 17, 2015, 1:11 pm

Well said

Originally Posted by transparent
And as I had taken this battery through security in China many times in the last year, it took me by surprise when they suddenly zeroed in on a small-ish battery pack, which is why I thought it would be good to warn others so they can take precautions.
Exactly. Experience like yours and mine may only occur infrequently. But they do happen, and not hysteria to let others know.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by percysmith
I would rather be deported. They don't use fresh needles (a friend had a similar experience renewing his PRC cross-border driving permit) (next year he opted to pay the $1,400 "opt-out fee").
Is this a joke or did this happen in the 1950's-60's?
Old Sep 17, 2015, 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by payam81
Is this a joke or did this happen in the 1950's-60's?
About two or three years ago. This is the licensing department for cross-border drivers not an airport checkpoint though.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 10:37 pm

About two or three years ago. This is the licensing department for cross-border drivers not an airport checkpoint though.
That's nuts. I thought they fixed this after all the Hep B pandemics of early to mid 2000's. Didn't the government repeatedly enact laws and regulations to deal with this whole nightmare?
Old Sep 18, 2015, 6:53 am

Programs: various
Originally Posted by payam81
That's nuts. I thought they fixed this after all the Hep B pandemics of early to mid 2000's. Didn't the government repeatedly enact laws and regulations to deal with this whole nightmare?
Yes they did. But what the Chinese govt enacts and what actually happens in the field, especially at far outposts, can be quite different. This will not come as a surprise to China regulars.
Old Sep 18, 2015, 7:01 pm

Sorry, re driving physical exam: my bad, it was a less than spotless lab, but fresh needles were used.
Old Sep 19, 2015, 5:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Sorry, re driving physical exam: my bad, it was a less than spotless lab, but fresh needles were used.
Dirty needles, unsanitary conditions, and fear of needles were not concerns for my friend.

Spending the day at the airport, and the remote possibility that the blood test results could cause problems for him, were.

In any event, it's nice to know that the blood test is optional.
Old Sep 19, 2015, 7:51 am

Programs: AA- Million Miler, DL,
Tian gao, Huangdi yuan - "Heaven is high and the emperor is far away"
Old Sep 19, 2015, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by RhodyRed
Heaven is High, Emperor is Far!

天高 皇帝远

天高 皇帝遠
Old Sep 19, 2015, 7:04 pm
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
Originally Posted by RhodyRed
Originally Posted by tentseller
Heaven is High, Emperor is Far!

天高 皇帝远

天高 皇帝遠
Similar to western “what you don't know can't hurt you”, but not quite
as blunt as " if they don't actually see you do something, they can't prove it".

Old Sep 20, 2015, 9:54 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Flying Blue (KLM) Platinum, Oneworld (BA) Sapphire, *A (Aegean) Gold, IHG Spire RA,
Originally Posted by transparent
Some new regulations and/or newly focused on items at China's airports now--

In addition to being pretty strict with liquids, now portable batteries (like the ones for charging your phone) are being confiscated if they don't have the capacity clearly listed. Make sure the capacity is covered with a piece of tape or something to prevent it from rubbing off. The limit is 30,000mAh.

Have folks encountered other newish or surprise regulations?
Ah, so I'm not the only one running into the battery problem :-D
putting it in your checked Luggage won't work as they will scan and you have to take it out. Even if i fly from europe to china and take it back the same way.......nope.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 6:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

For tonight's flight, I courageously checked everything apart from myself, phone, and wallet. But, my external battery ended up getting flagged.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.