Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Shanghai hotels on points: any good deals?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2015, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I need a 2-night weekend stay in Shanghai later this year. It would seem like a logical place to use hotel loyalty points: you'd think you could get a nice hotel for relatively few points. When I needed a weekend in Beijing a few months ago, there were plenty of good award stay options in different chains to choose from.

But the Shanghai options look "meh." A "bad value" city where you need lots of points even though the room rates aren't particularly high.

Anyone have a recommendation? I'm kind of inclined to wait for a good sale and just buy the rooms, particularly at a chain where I could use my status to snag free breakfast and/or lounge access. I'm also willing to consider the non-chain hotels, but that always seems a little riskier in China (the hotel might not be as nice as it's "star rating").
Old Apr 20, 2015, 1:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I'm inclined to agree with you that you should be able to get a decent weekend rate if you keep your ear to the ground, but it seems like some of the Marriotts have okay redemption values these days. You could also try for a bogo at the ic ruijin park (the only ihg property in Shanghai that I like).
Old Apr 21, 2015, 5:34 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Depends on what you plan on doing in Shanghai or what you look for in a hotel. My short SH stays are at SH Holiday Inn West. The hotel is in good condition, I always get free breakfast, and it's located very close to Hongqiao station. It's also cheap - point-wise or money-wise.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 11:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
What brands do you have points in?
Old Apr 22, 2015, 2:50 am
GB

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton GLD
I have found great availability using SPG, Hyatt or Hilton. But I would also check discount sites such as Ctrip as some of the paid stays at 5 star properties can be incredibly cheap.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 12:38 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Hyatts in Shanghai seem to have good availability for the new points and cash rates and Diamond suite upgrades. For SPG, I try to do fifth night free redemptions, so I wouldn't redeem for just a weekend stay.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mnredfox
What brands do you have points in?
Like all of them. I usually just have mid-tier status, though (gold).

Originally Posted by GB
I have found great availability using SPG, Hyatt or Hilton. But I would also check discount sites such as Ctrip as some of the paid stays at 5 star properties can be incredibly cheap.
Yeah, I think I've seen some Ctrip prices. Do those even display on Kayak?

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Hyatts in Shanghai seem to have good availability for the new points and cash rates and Diamond suite upgrades. For SPG, I try to do fifth night free redemptions, so I wouldn't redeem for just a weekend stay.
The problem with the Hyatts, as just a Plat, is that I wouldn't "get anything" during my stay. I'd have to pay the extra points for club level to get breakfast and such. By that point, it seems cheaper to just buy a promo rate at a hotel that includes breakfast (it's a pet peeve of mine: I avoid staying at fancy hotels where I don't get any perks because I find the prices charged for those things, like breakfast, are exorbitant).
Old Apr 23, 2015, 1:24 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Then what elite tiers do you have with various chains? Marriott gives lounge access to Golds, but SPG doesn't do much unless you're Plat, although there is the 4 pm late checkout guarantee.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Then what elite tiers do you have with various chains? Marriott gives lounge access to Golds, but SPG doesn't do much unless you're Plat, although there is the 4 pm late checkout guarantee.
Yeah, I have gold in both Marriott and Hilton, so the perks would be better than if I booked with SPG (also gold) or IHG (platinum). I've had luck with Accor in the past getting perks in Asia with "sign up" plat status, but I don't know of any current such offers. With Accor, I'd buy a room on one of their 50% off sales, because I don't currently have any vouchers.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Renaissance Zhongshan Park is only 10k points per night which I feel is a good deal.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 12:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
If you want to go cheap, IHG has plenty of options for cheap. The Hyatt redemptions are good for what you get, and the Hilton is ok.

I'd go cheap, then save your $$ to eat at good restaurants vs eating in the lounges.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.