Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any Tips for Cincinnati to Wuhan

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2015, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

Any Tips for Cincinnati to Wuhan

I have been invited to Wuhan by my deceased wife's family. (Some of you may remember threads from the past about my children's visit 2 years ago.) Between my children's school schedule and the fact that I am buying a house on 5/18, the earliest I can leave is probably around June 1 -- which is not ideal because of the Wuhan heat. However, my 14 year-old boy and 9-year-old girl will obviously benefit immensely by visiting their relatives. Particularly my girl who speaks perfect Chinese but doesn't want to speak it in the U.S.

I understand that plane tickets are expensive, and I am wondering about suggestions. Also, wondering whether it would make sense to fly into Beijing or Shanghai and then take the train to Wuhan. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

DB
Old Apr 21, 2015, 8:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K/AS 100K …Bonvoy Titanium..Hertz Presidents Club
China Southern offers a SFO-Wuhan flight that operates certain days of the week.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 12:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I think the train is overnight, about twelve hours from what I hear from Chinese students who must travel to a USA consulate for student visas, but there may be more expensive faster trains.

Flights might be about the same price and much more convenient since you're already at the airport, assuming that you can connect on the same day as your arrival from the USA. Anything through NRT will arrive too late, so look for TPAC nonstops into PVG or PEK from SEA, DTW, or other DL partner international gateways such as LAX.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I think the train is overnight, about twelve hours from what I hear from Chinese students who must travel to a USA consulate for student visas, but there may be more expensive faster trains.

Flights might be about the same price and much more convenient since you're already at the airport, assuming that you can connect on the same day as your arrival from the USA. Anything through NRT will arrive too late, so look for TPAC nonstops into PVG or PEK from SEA, DTW, or other DL partner international gateways such as LAX.
Arriving late directly from ICN/NRT is far preferable to any itinerary that involves a connection in PEK/SHA (in which you still arrive late), but I like the idea of SFO-WUH nonstop the best.

Insofar as getting a good price is concerned, I would google Korean travel agents in LA and NY, and see what they come up with on KE.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 10:49 pm
Original Poster

I have had time to think through my potential itinerary a little more carefully. I will probably stay in China about 7-8 days and my children will probably stay about 3 weeks with their relatives. Since my children will be flying back as unaccompanied minors, they at the very least, will have to take a train to Beijing or Shanghai on the way back because the American Airlines won't accept the children from a Chinese connector airline. If I remember correctly, the bullet train to Wuhan can be accessed from the Pudong airport, which would be very convenient.

Am wondering why no one suggested bullet trains. They seem to be reasonably priced and convenient. Any additional suggestions or comments would be appreciated.

DB
Old Apr 22, 2015, 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by DaileyB
I have had time to think through my potential itinerary a little more carefully. I will probably stay in China about 7-8 days and my children will probably stay about 3 weeks with their relatives. Since my children will be flying back as unaccompanied minors, they at the very least, will have to take a train to Beijing or Shanghai on the way back because the American Airlines won't accept the children from a Chinese connector airline. If I remember correctly, the bullet train to Wuhan can be accessed from the Pudong airport, which would be very convenient.

Am wondering why no one suggested bullet trains. They seem to be reasonably priced and convenient. Any additional suggestions or comments would be appreciated.

DB
Because the train stations are usually not near the airports (e.g. PVG is 60km from Hongqiao).

Why limit yourself to US based airlines?
Old Apr 23, 2015, 1:21 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by moondog
Arriving late directly from ICN/NRT is far preferable to any itinerary that involves a connection in PEK/SHA (in which you still arrive late), but I like the idea of SFO-WUH nonstop the best.

Insofar as getting a good price is concerned, I would google Korean travel agents in LA and NY, and see what they come up with on KE.
I was implicitly thinking of DL and partner flights since the OP is based at CVG, which is still sort of a DL hub.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 8:47 pm

There are no trains departing from Pudong. Most bullet trains depart from Hongqiao which one to two hours away depending on time of day.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 1:32 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I was implicitly thinking of DL and partner flights since the OP is based at CVG, which is still sort of a DL hub.
There are apparently 5 nonstop flights per day between cvg and SFO, so connecting to sfo-wuh shouldn't be too difficult.

However, I have had trouble pinning down exactly what days that flight operates (e.g kayak/qunar only pick up a handful of dates in June/July).
Old Apr 24, 2015, 9:03 am
Original Poster

In Response to several questions:

1. Why am I using American Airlines? My children will stay 3 weeks and I will stay 1 week. I understand the unaccompanied minor program much better with respect to American Airlines as opposed to others, and I will need to use it. (Chinese airlines may not have unaccompanied minor program at all. Also, my few attempts in the past to contact Chinese Airlines directly have been worthless.)

2. Don't understand the part about Pudong airport not having connections to bullet train. This what I pulled up from Wiki: "The line runs from Longyang Road station in Pudong to Pudong International Airport; The Pudong International Airport station provides a transfer to Line 2, but the Longyang Road station provides access to Line 2 and Line 7. At full speed, the journey takes 7 minutes and 20 seconds to complete the distance of 30 km (18.6 mi)"

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shangha...Train#Stations

However, I realize wiki isn't authoritative and many posters here are very knowledgeable. So, my question is: Is there a reasonable way to get from the Pudong airport to the bullet train station that takes you from Shanghai to Wuhan? Is the Wiki article wrong? Also, as I mentioned earlier, my children will have to take a train to Pudong to fly back to the U.S. because they must stay on the same airline to use the unaccompanied minor service.

Thanks, DB
Old Apr 24, 2015, 10:05 am
qpr

Originally Posted by DaileyB

2. Don't understand the part about Pudong airport not having connections to bullet train. This what I pulled up from Wiki: "The line runs from Longyang Road station in Pudong to Pudong International Airport; The Pudong International Airport station provides a transfer to Line 2, but the Longyang Road station provides access to Line 2 and Line 7. At full speed, the journey takes 7 minutes and 20 seconds to complete the distance of 30 km (18.6 mi)"

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shangha...Train#Stations
You are speaking about the Maglev Train, who just runs between Longyan Lu and Pudong Airport.
The bullet trains to Wuhan are all going from Hongqiao Train Station.
You also have slower trains from Shanghai Railway Station and South Station, but these ones need about 15 hours to Wuhan.

Do you know which station in Wuhan is your final destination? They have 3 different ones and all have connections to Shanghai by bullet train.
You have Wuhan, Wuchang and Hankou.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 10:08 am

Programs: SK EBG, BAEC Gold
The confusion here over trains arises as a mix-up between bullet trains (conventional high speed rail, i.e. the fast train between Shanghai and Wuhan in your case) and the maglev (high speed suspension rail) train between Pudong and Longyang Road.

The advantage of Hongqiao is that it is physically connected to the railway station from which most high speed rail ("bullet trains") leave. At Pudong you can take the high speed maglev train to Longyang Road, but that won't get you much closer to the mainline Shanghai-Wuhan trains. For that you will probably need to take the Metro (line 2) from Pudong to Hongqiao train station (i.e. to Hongqiao airport). Hence the suggestion that flying to Hongqiao directly is a better option.

Edit: qpr was quicker off the draw fired off his/her "bullet" of a reply as I was typing mine!
Old Apr 24, 2015, 11:41 am

Programs: BAEC
As others have mentioned, the main international airport in Shanghai is Pudong (PVG), which is to the far East of the city. It's linked in 7 minutes to eastern Shanghai via the Maglev train.

The main domestic airport is Hongqiao (SHA) in the far West of the city. The airport is adjacent to the Hongqiao train hub (I think you can walk there via tunnels). You can get a direct bullet train (D trains) to Wuhan (both Hankou and Wuchang) in around 6 hours for $43.

The two airports are linked by metro (I think there is a change, but it's 1 line), but takes 2 hours. There might be a direct bus as well.

Have you considered driving to ORD, and buying a ticket from there? Hainan Airlines (HU) seems to have some ok fares, with 1 stop in Beijing (overnight on the way to China, 3 hours on the way back). HU are fairly good - i'm sure their ticketing desk in ORD will be able to help re UMs.

Chicago Office (9am-5pm CST) Mondays-Fridays
Service hotline: 1-888-688-8813, Tel: 312-374-3700
[email protected]

http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Hai...nes/minors.php
Old Apr 24, 2015, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

qpr It doesn't matter where we arrive in Wuhan. One aunt lives in Wuchang. Another lives in Hankou. There are family members to pick us up from any part of Wuhan. Thanks to you and the other posters for your very helpful hints.

A couple of follow-up questions. 1. What does the Metro cost from Pudong to Hongqiao? Also, is it a direct trip -- no stops to board other buses? 2. I have used search engines to trip to get flights to Hongqiao and they typically redirect me to Pudong. Is there any practical way to check and see if I can fly into Hongqiao?
Old Apr 24, 2015, 3:13 pm

Programs: various
If you fly into Pudong airport, the only ways I would consider getting to Hongqiao would be 1) Airport Shuttle bus (RMB 30 pp and yes it is direct) or 2) taxi RMB 200. I certainly wouldn't be dealing with the Metro with three of you + luggage.

Hongqiao has limited international incoming flights, all of them regional: Tokyo HND, Seoul GMP, Taipei TSA, or Hong Kong HKG. I doubt if you will find any USA flights to any of those airports except Hong Kong. And transferring NRT-HND or ICN-GMP or TPE-TSA is going to be at least as much trouble (or more) than transferring PVG-SHA.

If you can't make the SFO-WUH nonstop work for you, or if cost-prohibitive, then I recommend flying to Pudong, taxi or shuttle bus to Hongqiao depending on timing and your budget, bullet train to Wuhan. Or, fly the last segment PVG-WUH, if you can get all on one ticket so you're protected in the event of misconnection, and the connection time at PVG is not too long or too short. On the reverse journey, relatives may have to take them back to Shanghai by train, possibly meaning an open-jaw return CVG-WUH + PVG-CVG.

Last edited by jiejie; Apr 24, 2015 at 9:11 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.