Wiki Posts
Search

Yichang -> Wuhan train ticket

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2014, 1:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Yichang -> Wuhan train ticket

I'm planning on taking the bullet train from Yichang East to Wuhan Hankou.

We'll be arriving in Yichang after a cruise, but I'm not sure how accurate our arrival time would be.

Does it cost much more to buy the train ticket on the spot at the train station? Or just better to have it booked beforehand, through the hotel or something.

Thanks
Old Mar 4, 2014, 2:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by frudd38

We'll be arriving in Yichang after a cruise, but I'm not sure how accurate our arrival time would be.

Does it cost much more to buy the train ticket on the spot at the train station? Or just better to have it booked beforehand, through the hotel or something.

Thanks
Train stations are the cheapest place to buy train tickets because there is no ticketing convenience fee at all. But, we're only talking about saving Y5, and it's nice to lock up tickets in advance because some trains do sell out... though I'd be surprised if demand for Yichang-Wuhan was especially high.

I've been buying train tickets from Ctrip recently; the Chinese site seems to work much better than the Enlgish site, and gives you the option of will call (English site does not). It seems that there is no longer a way to opt out of their insurance policy, but it's only Y20/person.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 3:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moondog
Train stations are the cheapest place to buy train tickets because there is no ticketing convenience fee at all. But, we're only talking about saving Y5, and it's nice to lock up tickets in advance because some trains do sell out... though I'd be surprised if demand for Yichang-Wuhan was especially high.

I've been buying train tickets from Ctrip recently; the Chinese site seems to work much better than the Enlgish site, and gives you the option of will call (English site does not). It seems that there is no longer a way to opt out of their insurance policy, but it's only Y20/person.
Thanks for the input. Thinking of just having the hotel in Chongqing get us the tickets if not much more. Can tickets be bought for any city route at any train station?
Old Mar 4, 2014, 4:00 am

Thanks for the input. Thinking of just having the hotel in Chongqing get us the tickets if not much more. Can tickets be bought for any city route at any train station?
This was often not possible in the past, and still isn't possible in all cases, but the reservations system has made substantial progress during recent years, so I'd say "probably". Furthermore, before my earlier reply to you, I confirmed that Ctrip definitely sells tickets on this route, so if nothing else, your hotel could always help you book on Ctrip with your own credit card. However, I wouldn't expect them to rise to the occasion until you are physically present at the property because they're unlikely to front the money for the tickets since you presumably don't have a longstanding business relationship with them.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 5:02 am

Programs: various
I'd say yes, you can buy your tickets for Yichang East - Hankou in Chongqing or any other city you'll be in during the advance ticketing period. Definitely at the train stations, and normally you should be able to buy at most large city satellite offices. An RMB 5 surcharge per ticket applies, and if you have a willing hotel do it for you, they'll add their own surcharge/service fee.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 7:30 pm
Original Poster

The hotel quoted me: First class (111.5RMB/person),second class(93.5RMB/operson)

Which seems more than reasonable. Also only a 18 rmb difference between first and second? Is that normal?
Old Mar 4, 2014, 9:39 pm

The hotel quoted me: First class (111.5RMB/person),second class(93.5RMB/operson)

Which seems more than reasonable. Also only a 18 rmb difference between first and second? Is that normal?
There are several different classes of trains on that route with vastly different travel times so be sure you know what you're getting before you commit.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 11:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moondog
There are several different classes of trains on that route with vastly different travel times so be sure you know what you're getting before you commit.
One of the D trains, fastest time. How come the differ eve between first and second is so minimal?
Old Mar 5, 2014, 8:03 am

One of the D trains, fastest time. How come the differ eve between first and second is so minimal?
Yes, this is normal spread for D trains for this distance, which by fast train standards isn't very far. The spread widens for G trains which are true bullets, but on this route the timing of those won't work with your cruise conclusion. Because the spread is relatively small, often first class will sell out before second on these trains. Those prices you were quoted are very close to official prices so I imagine the difference is the small fee the hotel is adding for doing an online order. You should ask the hotel whether they'll be picking up the tickets or you will do so yourself (like a Will-Call, not difficult if you're told where to go and how to do it).

Last edited by jiejie; Mar 5, 2014 at 8:08 am
Old Mar 5, 2014, 5:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jiejie
Yes, this is normal spread for D trains for this distance, which by fast train standards isn't very far. The spread widens for G trains which are true bullets, but on this route the timing of those won't work with your cruise conclusion. Because the spread is relatively small, often first class will sell out before second on these trains. Those prices you were quoted are very close to official prices so I imagine the difference is the small fee the hotel is adding for doing an online order. You should ask the hotel whether they'll be picking up the tickets or you will do so yourself (like a Will-Call, not difficult if you're told where to go and how to do it).
Thanks for the info.. What do you mean by the timing won't work? That I wouldn't be me to buy on the spot? I think im just going to buy it earlier and give it a few hours cushion.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 6:20 pm

Thanks for the info.. What do you mean by the timing won't work? That I wouldn't be me to buy on the spot? I think im just going to buy it earlier and give it a few hours cushion.
The timing of the G trains Yichang-Wuhan won't work since the last one leaves around 14:40. Most of the downstream-direction cruise ships end up docking at Yichang around 13:30. Between time needed to disembark, get from dock to station, through station and on the train, that's not enough time to catch a same-day G. Therefore, you need a D train of which there are many available from 15:30 on. Given the capacity, it's likely you could get to the station and buy a ticket on one of the trains going out that afternoon, but no guarantee you'd get the next-out and might have to buy tickets on a train not leaving for a few hours. I'd personally arrange to have the ticket purchased in advance for the specific train you want, so your seats are guaranteed and you only have to pick up the tickets either from an agent meeting you at the dock, or at the station itself. Then you'd also know what time you'd be getting to Wuhan.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 9:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jiejie
The timing of the G trains Yichang-Wuhan won't work since the last one leaves around 14:40. Most of the downstream-direction cruise ships end up docking at Yichang around 13:30. Between time needed to disembark, get from dock to station, through station and on the train, that's not enough time to catch a same-day G. Therefore, you need a D train of which there are many available from 15:30 on. Given the capacity, it's likely you could get to the station and buy a ticket on one of the trains going out that afternoon, but no guarantee you'd get the next-out and might have to buy tickets on a train not leaving for a few hours. I'd personally arrange to have the ticket purchased in advance for the specific train you want, so your seats are guaranteed and you only have to pick up the tickets either from an agent meeting you at the dock, or at the station itself. Then you'd also know what time you'd be getting to Wuhan.
Yea I was looking to buy the ~17:00 D train, which says ~2 hours travel time on the schedule, not much slower than a G. Figured that should be more than enough time from the scheduled 13:30 disembarkation to the station. Thank you moondog and jiejie for all the advice.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 9:39 pm
Original Poster

So actually our main destination is to get from Yichang to Hong Kong. This route of YIH-WUH via train then WUH-HKG flight next day (via Avios) seemed like the cheapest and relaxed way.

YIH-CAN-HKG via train seems a bit brutal and the YIH-XXX-HKG flight time seemed tight. Figured a missed flight would be much worse than a missed train.

Any other options I can consider?
Old Mar 5, 2014, 10:22 pm

Thanks
Just checked the ticket availability for today. There are many trains. some are sold out so if you are flexible you'll be fine. The 17h30 seems to be the most popular and is sold out (for same day).
You can buy the tickets from anywhere in China up to 18 days in advance or 20 days in advance online. You can check schedules and availability here: http://www.china-diy-travel.com/
Old Mar 5, 2014, 10:31 pm

So actually our main destination is to get from Yichang to Hong Kong. This route of YIH-WUH via train then WUH-HKG flight next day (via Avios) seemed like the cheapest and relaxed way.

YIH-CAN-HKG via train seems a bit brutal and the YIH-XXX-HKG flight time seemed tight. Figured a missed flight would be much worse than a missed train.

Any other options I can consider?
I think your proposed option is probably your best bet, but you might also want to consider flying from Yichang to Shenzhen, which seems to be reliably available for around $110 (taxes on your BA issued ticket to HK should run about $46). However, the schedule is not very nice for your needs: 11a and 11p only.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.