wechat(微信)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 13, 2022, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: moondog
The "FT People on WeChat" group
Our group chat is comprised of FT members and friends of FT members. We talk about pretty much anything except for politics (because Papa Bear has the ability to watch over us). The group has its own QR code, but it has a short shelf life (e.g. about 5 days), so I'm not including it here. The easiest way to join is to add me as a contact (moondogsh) and let me put you in the group.

Contacting Tencent Customer Support
If you want to get in touch with Tencent customer service (e.g. to update your passport number or change your name format so it aligns with your bank accounts), most web resources will advise you to simply message the "WeChat Team" contact. It is extremely difficult to get a human response when using this approach. Calling them also results in a bot experience.

However, the following drill works as of July 2022 (specific menu options can always change, of course; the key is getting yourself to step 5 below):
1. Dial 95716 (or +86 4009100100 from outside of China)
2. Select option 1 for personal accounts
3. Enter your connected phone number followed by #
3. Select option 2 for other questions
4. The bot will ask you to describe your issue using voice; just speak to it in English; it won't understand and will ask you to repeat 3-5 times before giving up
5. Now, the bot will give you ~8 menu options; through trial and error, I can state that option 7 is good for immediate transfer to a human (some of the others might work as well)
6. When the representative picks up, you definitely need to speak Chinese, but your request is presumably fairly easy to convey, and their responses are also pretty simple
7. They might want to move the conversation over to WeChat; this is okay because they will send you an invite to a special customer service queue, which is only ~60% automated
Print Wikipost

wechat(微信)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2016, 6:57 am

Programs: UA Gold
Any chance you can pass the QR code to me? Im in Beijing until December and will be in either Beijing/Shanghai for an extended period in 2017
Old Sep 27, 2016, 8:13 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Titanium, National Executive
Originally Posted by Agremeister
Any chance you can pass the QR code to me? Im in Beijing until December and will be in either Beijing/Shanghai for an extended period in 2017
The group is now at 100 members so new members must be invited.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 8:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Add me as a friend, and I'll invite you: moondogsh
Old Sep 27, 2016, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by mendy7511
The group is now at 100 members so new members must be invited.
And any member getting invited need to hand out red pockets

(only to those 9 which have their picture displayed at the QR code, of course!)
Old Sep 27, 2016, 8:43 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
And any member getting invited need to hand out red pockets

(only to those 9 which have their picture displayed at the QR code, of course!)
My old profile picture the "Peace for Paris" sign is still there, wth!
Old Jan 19, 2017, 1:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Note: Group has exceeded 100 members, please PM us if you would like an invite.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 8:07 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Plat, *A Gold, AA Plat
As of now you can add a foreign credit card to help with verification in WeChat But can’t really pay for anything using that card through WeChat. Through Alipay you can but there is the 3% charge they add on.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 2:22 am

Programs: United 1K - Hilton Diamond
im in china now and my account was blocked due to suspicion? Can anyone from USA region help me to unblock?
Old Nov 4, 2017, 3:16 am

Same problem! And WeChat never seems to like my friends. Very unclear what they are looking for or what the problem is.

Let us know how you resolve this.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 10:00 pm

Programs: UA MM, SQ KrisFlyer, SPG/Marriott Titanium
OK, I tried using the Hongbao trick to set up wallet on my international edition WeChat app.
Found out that HSBC China debit cards are not participating. I called the bank while I was in Shanghai after I was unable to get it to register.

Meanwhile, back in San Francisco, ICBC USA has a branch down the street. Thinking of opening an account there. Would their ATM/Union Pay credit cards work with setting up wallet in China?

Last edited by abraxis; Nov 24, 2017 at 10:06 pm
Old Nov 24, 2017, 11:21 pm

As discussed in another recent thread here, it's not entirely clear how Alipay and Wechat Wallet work for foreigners.

But both sites require "real-name" verification and both sites handle this by requiring that you link a Mainland bank account in a name that matches the name registered on the site. In the case of foreigners, only a small number of Mainland banks transmit passport numbers and romanized names for real-name verification.

I cannot imagine that an account at ICBC San Francisco would work for this purpose. U.S. branches of foreign banks are essentially U.S. banks, and are operated as such. They just aren't set up to transmit identifying information to Alipay and Wechat.

Last edited by 889; Nov 25, 2017 at 1:08 am
Old Nov 25, 2017, 5:26 pm

Programs: UA MM, SQ KrisFlyer, SPG/Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by 889
As discussed in another recent thread here, it's not entirely clear how Alipay and Wechat Wallet work for foreigners.

But both sites require "real-name" verification and both sites handle this by requiring that you link a Mainland bank account in a name that matches the name registered on the site. In the case of foreigners, only a small number of Mainland banks transmit passport numbers and romanized names for real-name verification.

I cannot imagine that an account at ICBC San Francisco would work for this purpose. U.S. branches of foreign banks are essentially U.S. banks, and are operated as such. They just aren't set up to transmit identifying information to Alipay and Wechat.
You're right. I went to the branch today and asked about it. WeChat wallet won't work with ICBC US cards. But their ATM and credit cards work in China fee free...
Old Dec 7, 2017, 12:13 am
Suspended

QQ has been popular for many years in China. But after wechat appears, most people, including the old people, begin to use wechat to chat everyday. actually speaking, i like qq more than wechat, but as most of my family and friends use wechat on the smartphone, so I have to use wechat to contact them or receive their message
Old Jan 23, 2018, 2:13 pm

From today's Hong Kong Standard:

"Also yesterday, Tencent said foreigners living in Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan can now connect to Weixin Pay through any international credit cards. This is the first time that people will not need to have a Chinese bank account or credit card to take advantage of the country's fast-growing cashless payment system that makes it easier to shop and pay for daily needs online."

Tencent shops for Carrefour deal - The Standard

Anyone tried this?
Old Jan 23, 2018, 5:48 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Plat, *A Gold, AA Plat
Able to use a lot more CC

You all know I like easy life. I love points to get fun free things. Today I noticed that WeChat allows more things for payment with your American credit card.

I paid my house phone
I paid my cellphone
I paid my gas bill
I paid for JD (Jin Dong online Ou through wechat)

Then it told me I had charged too many things to that card to try another on. So maybe tomorrow I can charge more stuff to it.

I added another visa card and made some more charges.

There is no 3% like Alipay has for CC purchases.

I was buying stuff I didn’t even need to just get points it is the American Way

I assume the airline tickets and other services that WeChat offers would also allow you to pay with credit card with no fee. So I will try this on the street and see if cannot with credit cards at stores.

You can’t transfer money to someone using a credit card I tried that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.