Wiki Posts
Search

the 小龙包 (soup dumplings) thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2012, 9:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

the 小龙包 (soup dumplings) thread

About 8 years ago, I hosted a guy from Minnesota in Beijing who was one of those Sinofile types; he always implored me to join him for 小龙包... and I always declined. Several years later, DTF opened branches in Beijing and Shanghai. Because those guys do pretty good PR, I ended up eating there on numerous occasions at the behest of other visitors. I was never impressed because my mind was on western food. Fast forward to 2012, about a month ago, my friend tipped me off about the fact that the restaurant across the street from me makes decent 小龙包, so I took the plunge (the food options in my neighborhood are rather limited). Ever since, I've become addicted to those things.

The reason I'm starting this thread is because I'm interested in learning about stand out 小龙包 spots (anywhere in the world). I honestly can't tell the difference between the place across the street from me and DTF/Yuyuan (apart from the fact that the latter costs 5x the former). I guess my mouth is untrained. Please enlighten me.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 10:15 pm
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
DTF in Arcadia is busy.

Never got into dumpling places, prefer: hot pot, Sichuan, or Hunan for fish head.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 10:27 pm

Programs: BA - Blue
Have to say, we haven't had XLB in many places except dintaifung (?sp.). I do think their soup dumplings are excellent, but I also love their other dishes -- the vegetable dishes are superb, as is the sesame noodles -- something for some reason I don't find too often in beijing! Being in a clean environment is also a big plus.

It is expensive for dumplings, but only when compared with a 'dumpling joint'. All other dish prices are on a par/competitive with any half-way decent/ clean chinese restaurant.

Having said all that, I would be open to go to other places. Since there are so many restaurants, and so many of them look vaguely dodgy, it's easy to just go with the familiar. OT to this thread, but good 饺子 recs would also be welcome: lots of the ones I've had in WDK are sub-par.

tb
Old Oct 13, 2012, 10:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by trueblu
OT to this thread, but good 饺子 recs would also be welcome: lots of the ones I've had in WDK are sub-par.
http://www.cityweekend.com.cn/beijin...uan-dumplings/
Old Oct 13, 2012, 11:20 pm

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
DTF XLBs for the win! I've enjoyed it at their first restaurant in Taipei (Yong Kang Jie). ^
Old Oct 13, 2012, 11:23 pm

There is a famous 小笼包 place at Yu Gardens in Shanghai.
Always a long queue as lots of tourists go there.
It's pretty decent though a bit pricey by Shanghai standards.

I prefer 生煎, which is like 小笼包 but it is larger and the base is fried instead of fully steamed.
Really popular in Shanghai.
The store "小杨生煎" is famous there and they have several branches.

DTF's 小笼包 is good but too expensive.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 11:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HawaiiO
There is a famous 小笼包 place at Yu Gardens in Shanghai.
Always a long queue as lots of tourists go there.
It's pretty decent though a bit pricey by Shanghai standards.
When I mentioned "Yuyuan" in my OP, that's the place I was referring to. I think it's better than DTF for Shanghai visitors simply because they have only one location (to my knowledge). I.e. if you want DTF, just go to Arcadia. While Yuyuan is crazy touristy, locals actually do go there; they seem to prefer the big dumplings that come with a straw.

But, can't we be a bit more adventurous?

Regarding 小杨生煎, they have a branch in the food court near my office. Don't dare go there between 12 and 1 if you fancy sitting down.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 11:48 pm

On my first visit to Shanghai, a friend who was living there took us to DTF for the XLB. Over time I have come across other DTF branches. Consistent quality and product. --Can't say the same about alot of places. Have been disappointed on many occasions in SF area.

Oh on one occasion, we were queued up for XLB in the YuYuan garden, an eat and run experience. Sigh, we should have opted for a sit down on the 3rd floor...my girlfriend said to get the crab filled ones.

Last edited by 8dimsum; Oct 13, 2012 at 11:54 pm
Old Oct 14, 2012, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FYI, 小籠包 are not the same as "Soup Dumplings" (小籠湯包)--at least, in Taiwan, there is a difference.

As the name implies, soup dumplings ooze juicy goodness when you bite into them, whereas 小籠包 are drier inside.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 1:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Skyman65
FYI, 小籠包 are not the same as "Soup Dumplings" (小籠湯包)--at least, in Taiwan, there is a difference.
To the best of my knowledge, the cuisine in question was invented somewhere near Shanghai (I've heard Hangzhou, Wuxi, Suzhou...), and exported to Taiwan circa 1949. There is no distinction between soup and no soup, but the big ones have more soup (yes, I realize that "big" constitutes a linguistic contradiction).
Old Oct 14, 2012, 1:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by moondog
To the best of my knowledge, the cuisine in question was invented somewhere near Shanghai (I've heard Hangzhou, Wuxi, Suzhou...), and exported to Taiwan circa 1949. There is no distinction between soup and no soup, but the big ones have more soup (yes, I realize that "big" constitutes a linguistic contradiction).
From what I've heard (from my wife) they come from Nanxiang (Shanghai).

I didn't mean to imply that it was Taiwan cuisine, merely that in Taiwan, 小籠包 and 小籠湯包 are not the same thing.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 2:40 am

Ahhhh, XLB. I love those little buggers, and when I'm in Shanghai I try to pass by 佳家汤包 on Huanghe Lu near People's Square. There's always a line and they run out of some kinds a little after lunch so it's best to go early.

As for DTF, I've tried the ones near Jingan Temple and also at the Super Brand Mall, but personally they don't taste as good as the ones made in Taiwan, Hong Kong or Singapore.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 3:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oh man, now I'm going to have to go out and get me some soup dumplings tonight! Curse you!
Old Oct 14, 2012, 5:36 pm

Programs: LH M&M, CX MPC Green
Best I've had have been in Taiwan. Great broth, fresh pork, thin skin... Yum! DTF is a consistent and strong performer and I'm happy to get them regularly as they seem to meet the above criteria. Most other places I've been in HK the pork is not as fresh (or doesn't have the taste) and the skin is much thicker. I'd say skin thickness and quality of pork are the post important aspects.

Haven't tried too many 汤包 in Shanghai, though I've seen them on the streets a lot. I have had and always enjoy 生煎 though. Glorious stuff. But a little through the top, let the heat vent out, suck out some of the soup and those crispy bottoms... mmmm. of course half the fun is watching a newbie (it happened to me too) try to eat the thing in one go.

There is a nice and old school 生煎place "Feng" something on Nanchang Road near Maoming which is tasty.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 9:10 pm
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
XLB tastes good, but not too nutritional.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.