Internet in China

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Internet in China

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2012, 5:21 am

Programs: Platinum for Life Flying Blue; LH FTL
Let me add another data point: Here in Shanghai no more gmail without vpn.

What a sad day and it really makes me feel unwelcome
Old Sep 1, 2012, 7:29 am

Programs: BA - Blue
Originally Posted by wjv144
Let me add another data point: Here in Shanghai no more gmail without vpn.

What a sad day and it really makes me feel unwelcome
Although internet in china can be a pain, including occasional gmail 'outages', I don't think one generally needs a vpn to access email, most of the time. I just checked my gmail (in bj) without vpn to see if anything had changed, and all was well.

tb
Old Sep 4, 2012, 4:57 pm

Programs: UA 1P, GlobalEntry, StarwoodPlat
The last couple of weeks I have had some terrible problems with Google and Google Translate specifically. I always maintain at least one account for the periods of time when Beijing is messing about with the Wall. And since a poitically sensitive time is quickly approaching, I half expect it to happen again.

It helps too when dealing with attachments on gmail, helps increase reliability with uploads... And the one I use works over ChinaUnicom's 3G. Plus, how else are you going to access your Netflix queue if you don't have a VPN.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 10:41 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
just to add some current status, I'm currently in Shanghai at a hotel and the following does not seem to work
- Facebook
- Twitter
- Instagram

All else - google, google docs, skype, FT(!) and Gmail all seem to work the same as if I was at home
Old Sep 5, 2012, 10:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by AskTravis
just to add some current status, I'm currently in Shanghai at a hotel and the following does not seem to work
- Facebook
- Twitter
Big Brother doesn't care for these sites, and never has.

- Instagram
Same deal.

All else - google, google docs, skype, FT(!) and Gmail all seem to work the same as if I was at home
We get these most of the time, though Google Docs can be fickle on occasion.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 9:15 am

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by AskTravis
- Instagram
This one is surprising -- I've never had any trouble accessing Instagram via my Unicom 3G SIM, and many of my Chinese friends have been using it for years without problems. As recently as a few days ago, I was using it in SH without problems.

There has been some recent speculation that the FB buyout of Instagram might result in a GFW block, and it would be sad if this had actually happened.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 6:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 1.4MM
I've had trips to Shanghai when even Yahoo Sports wouldn't load. Google sites are a constant target since the unpleasantness from a few years ago. I'm sure the gov is constantly probing, experimenting. They're flailing at shadows and wind rustling. Probably not in a good mood today after their 'new, improved' education for HK got shot down.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 4:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I couldn't access my yahoo fantasy football leagues on Friday. Today, no problem. It's strange these off and on outages.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 6:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 1.4MM
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
I couldn't access my yahoo fantasy football leagues on Friday. Today, no problem. It's strange these off and on outages.
Same thing happened to me a few yrs ago - was there for the tennis tournament - tried to do my 'fantasy' picks - no luck (only had one day to make the picks so didn't retry). Maybe it's a word (and its other meaning) that gets added scrutiny.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.