Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

"Old Beijing" accented Mandarin

"Old Beijing" accented Mandarin

Old Feb 27, 12, 7:05 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,500
"Old Beijing" accented Mandarin

The "Old Beijing" (老北京) guy's Mandarin can be really strong and hard to understand, though i do enjoy listening to the accent.

Had one old dude offer to take me on a tour of the hutong, which i was semi-interested in, but had to decline since i could hardly understand what he was saying!
He probably mixed in some Beijing dialect words with the Mandarin that he was speaking.

The women tend to be easier to understand as their local accent isnt so strong.
HawaiiO is offline  
Old Feb 27, 12, 8:51 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Singapore
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hh Gold, NH*G, SPGP, SQ-CC
Posts: 1,381
Modern Beijingers can actually change from their Beijing accent to normal putonghua accent.

Not just the Beijingers in fact, the northerners have a strong accent and they tend to pull their accent upwards towards the end of the sentence.

Southerners don't.
tycosiao is offline  
Old Feb 27, 12, 8:56 pm
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 30,378
Originally Posted by HawaiiO View Post
The "Old Beijing" (老北京) guy's Mandarin can be really strong and hard to understand, though i do enjoy listening to the accent.

Had one old dude offer to take me on a tour of the hutong, which i was semi-interested in, but had to decline since i could hardly understand what he was saying!
He probably mixed in some Beijing dialect words with the Mandarin that he was speaking.

The women tend to be easier to understand as their local accent isnt so strong.
I have a friend from HK, who speaks far better Mandarin than most of us, that came here for the sole purpose of learning Beijing Hua (which she reveres in the same manner that some attribute to the "Queen's English"). In fact, she went through no less than 5 tutors before she found someone with an accent that met her standards.

Personally, I think that Mandarin spoken in other parts of China sounds better than Beijing Hua (except for conflating "s" and "sh"; that's just annoying), but I do appreciate the traditions surrounding the Beijing dialect, and the perceived ties with nobility.
moondog is online now  
Old Feb 27, 12, 9:08 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: PEK and BOS
Programs: BA - Blue
Posts: 3,701
Originally Posted by moondog View Post
I have a friend from HK, who speaks far better Mandarin than most of us, that came here for the sole purpose of learning Beijing Hua (which she reveres in the same manner that some attribute to the "Queen's English"). In fact, she went through no less than 5 tutors before she found someone with an accent that met her standards.

Personally, I think that Mandarin spoken in other parts of China sounds better than Beijing Hua (except for conflating "s" and "sh"; that's just annoying), but I do appreciate the traditions surrounding the Beijing dialect, and the perceived ties with nobility.
Are we talking about the same accent that sounds like a boat-load of pirates just landed? Does that sound posh to chinese ears???!!

tb
trueblu is offline  
Old Feb 27, 12, 10:46 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: PEK & MKE
Programs: Amex-gold, Hainan-gold, Mrt-LT Titanium
Posts: 1,170
?

There are 'pirates' in the BJ money worship society ?
Jiatong is offline  
Old Feb 27, 12, 11:04 pm
  #6  
Ambassador: China
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Malibu Inferno Ground Zero
Programs: UA AA CO
Posts: 4,549
Originally Posted by tycosiao View Post
Modern Beijingers can actually change from their Beijing accent to normal putonghua .
Wish that was true of Brooklynites.
anacapamalibu is offline  
Old Feb 27, 12, 11:36 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: PVG
Posts: 670
Originally Posted by trueblu View Post
Are we talking about the same accent that sounds like a boat-load of pirates just landed? Does that sound posh to chinese ears???!!

tb
tauphi is offline  
Old Feb 28, 12, 2:30 am
  #8  
Ambassador, China
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Beijing
Programs: TG, OZ, UA, AA
Posts: 6,619
Originally Posted by trueblu View Post
Are we talking about the same accent that sounds like a boat-load of pirates just landed? Does that sound posh to chinese ears???!!

tb
One of the best descriptions I've ever heard!
jiejie is offline  
Old Feb 28, 12, 5:23 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 4,659
For me the easiest to understand and best sounding Mandarin is spoken in the capital of the renegade province. They have the best food there too!

I'm always surprised when I return to Beijing hear the rrrrrr at the end of everything. I kinda like it.
travelinmanS is online now  
Old Feb 28, 12, 5:22 pm
  #10  
Ambassador, China
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Beijing
Programs: TG, OZ, UA, AA
Posts: 6,619
I've found most Chinese from the Harbin area (actually much of Heilongjiang) speak a very nice clear putonghua without the various affectations plaguing other regions including Beijing. Foreign students of Mandarin rate it very highly as a place to study, just for this reason.
jiejie is offline  
Old Feb 28, 12, 8:54 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Singapore
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hh Gold, NH*G, SPGP, SQ-CC
Posts: 1,381
I thought Shanghai's mandarin was good without accent, just that they speak that damn fast.
tycosiao is offline  
Old Feb 28, 12, 9:13 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: BOS/PVD, LIM, PTY
Programs: US CP, DL PM, UA Silver, HU/TJ Air Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat (Yay!)
Posts: 2,694
I find it a bit ridiculous that one (meaning a local who can speak 'accented' Mandarin) would try and learn the BJ accent....but that's China.

TW accent is most natural for me, but that's because I learned most of my speaking ability there and had my original exposure there. It sometimes shocks the locals in the Mainland because just about every laowai they meet who can speak Mandarin has a textbook BJ accent.
benzemalyonnais is offline  
Old Feb 28, 12, 9:43 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Singapore
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hh Gold, NH*G, SPGP, SQ-CC
Posts: 1,381
Originally Posted by benzemalyonnais View Post
I find it a bit ridiculous that one (meaning a local who can speak 'accented' Mandarin) would try and learn the BJ accent....but that's China.

TW accent is most natural for me, but that's because I learned most of my speaking ability there and had my original exposure there. It sometimes shocks the locals in the Mainland because just about every laowai they meet who can speak Mandarin has a textbook BJ accent.
The TW accent might be a tad heavier but this is due to the min dialect influence. After thinking and thinking, perhaps there's no non-accented mandarin. Just perhaps one which you are more comfortable with. I am uncomfortable with the northern accent but that's me.
tycosiao is offline  
Old Feb 28, 12, 11:33 pm
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 30,378
I'm reminded of the "那个" thread.
moondog is online now  
Old Feb 29, 12, 12:25 am
  #15  
Ambassador: China
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Malibu Inferno Ground Zero
Programs: UA AA CO
Posts: 4,549
Originally Posted by moondog View Post
I'm reminded of the "那个" thread.
Good thing Huntsman didn't debate Obama
and speak in Mandarin.

THAT ONE
anacapamalibu is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread