Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Filter mask for Child - Beijing?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2011, 7:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by phat-dave
as someone whom hasn't been to china before, are these masks a piss take?

the reason i ask is my fiance suffers from mild asthma and has previously had bronchitis - we recent visited Hanoi and she had breathing issues due to the smog. We're taking our first trip to beijing/shanghai/chengdu in May and I'm keen to get her something to assisting her breathing.

so i guess the question is... if we buy these, will we be cruising the streets looking like idiot tourists or does everyone have masks ?
Based on my casual observations, it seems that around 1 in 500 people wear masks on a regular basis. While that might sound like a low ratio, given the shear number of people in China, it's actually kind of normal.

In any event, I would advise your fiance to visit her doctor before your trip, and maybe request an inhaler. (Also, pick up a mask for especially bad days.)

When in May is your trip? I ask because early May can be horrible (April is the worst month for Beijing pollution IME), but the situation improves quickly.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 7:17 pm

yeah we've got an inhaler - worked a treat when we were in Vietnam...

We're arriving on 29 April and heading to Chengdu on 5 May. Was going to check out the Panda's before heading over to Shanghai.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 7:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

We're arriving on 29 April and heading to Chengdu on 5 May. Was going to check out the Panda's before heading over to Shanghai.
Is it too late for you to swap the order for BJ and SH?
Old Dec 29, 2011, 7:36 pm

unfortunately so, i literally booked/paid for the accommodation 3 days ago
Old Jan 1, 2012, 12:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC

Yes don't miss the panda's, and check out jiejie's great adventure trip review, good post on the pandas.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.