Jiejie's Excellent Sichuan and Yunnan Adventure

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Jiejie's Excellent Sichuan and Yunnan Adventure

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2014, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by moondog
All of that stuff about "non-native", "residence permit", and "local bank" is largely irrelevant apart from the fact that "local bank" might not work so well unless you tie you have a credit card or tie your account to Alipay/Wepay/Tenpay/etc. They DON'T care about paperwork; they care about money!

The way I used to (~3 years ago) always pay for Ctrip tickets was cash on delivery (i.e. either wait for the delivery person myself or leave the money with ayi/baoan), but they don't seem to promote this service any more.

Nowadays, I usually use a foreign CC (no surcharge if you are patient enough to deal with their mobile app; 3% otherwise).

If that's not a viable option for you, surely there are physical travel agents in your area. Odds are pretty good that their prices will be the same as Ctrip's.
Thanks Moondog.

I'd rather pay with RMB and assumed it would be easier to pay with my Chinese Unionpay card. I also thought that tickets were mostly electronic now. Do they use physical tickets for domestic travel which need delivering?

I will use a local agent when I get back to China next week if that is really easier, but even in Canada I tend to avoid agents as much as possible since except for complex itineraries it is almost always easier to do online myself, and even with the complex stuff I give the agent very detailed instructions on exactly which flights and fare classes to book - that's not really an option for me in China.

Thanks

Dr. PITUK
Old Sep 28, 2014, 9:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by painintheuk
Thanks Moondog.

I'd rather pay with RMB and assumed it would be easier to pay with my Chinese Unionpay card. I also thought that tickets were mostly electronic now. Do they use physical tickets for domestic travel which need delivering?

I will use a local agent when I get back to China next week if that is really easier, but even in Canada I tend to avoid agents as much as possible since except for complex itineraries it is almost always easier to do online myself, and even with the complex stuff I give the agent very detailed instructions on exactly which flights and fare classes to book - that's not really an option for me in China.

Thanks

Dr. PITUK
1. They won't send a delivery guy out just to give you an eticket receipt. If you need the receipt for expenses, they can either mail it to you or hold it at the airport. Our company has them keep all of our receipts at SHA, and we pick them up about once a month. That way, it's impossible to mistake them for junk mail.

2. SHA-LJG usually doesn't discount much, so if you found a great rate, I would be inclined to grab it sooner rather than later.

3. I looked at Ctrip's "Union Pay Online Payment" option today, and must say that it sure looked like it would work with regular bank cards. Try it out and let us know how it goes.

4. When I refer to travel agents, I'm not speaking of bespoke tours and the like, but rather an office with a computer that is tied into Travelsky. You go there, tell them your name, your passport number, and the flight you want. Then, they take your money, and issue a ticket for you. The system is absurdly simple.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 8:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: various
I would appreciate any suggestions on my suggested itinerary…

10/17 SHA-LJG, arriving 8pm+
10/18 Explore Lijiang and area
10/19 Bus to Qiaotou and hiking in TLG, staying at a GH (with wifi ideally!)
10/20 Full day in TLG
10/21 Out of TLG at Walnut Grove(?), bus to Shangri-la.
10/22 Full day in Shangri-la
10/23 DIG-SHA (stopover in KMG)
10/24 - back to work!
<snip>
I'm not sure from reading about the bus connections to Shangri-la at the end of the hike. It seems that it is a bit of a crapshoot if they run or not and I might have to go back to Lijiang to get there, so should I just leave Shangri-la out and fly to and from Lijiang? I really like the idea of Shangri-la, but don't like the idea of really long bus rides.
This itinerary works fine. Buses will definitely be running up to Shangri-La and no need to go back to Lijiang. I'd head up there. Options for getting to Shangri-La at a reasonable price: 1) Tina's GH bus/minibus from TLG to Shangri-La. Should be running since October is busy but you'd need to call them when you get to Lijiang and confirm it's running and what time it leaves Tina's (Middle Gorge). 2) Public buses running from Lijiang to Shangri-La. All of them stop by the highway at Qiaotou junction, any local can point out the place and there will be other people waiting. But it can be a gamble on getting a seat, and you may have to settle for a stool in the aisle. 3) Given your extended time at TLG, just chat up other backpackers you meet, some of them are bound to be heading for Shangri-La, and split the cost of a car/minivan and driver. Plenty of drivers hanging out in Qiaotou who are willing to do this trip. Will be a bit more than options 1 or 2 but more flexible. Middle Gorge to Qiaotou is about a 30-minute ride. Qiaotou to Shangri-La is only 2 hours and pretty scenic.

Which areas of Lijiang and Shangri-la would you recommend for hotels? I like my sleep, so while the old town may be charming, would it be better to stay elsewhere (even out of town a bit?) and walk/taxi in for the day?
Lijiang: Don't stay in the Old Town. If you want to be in Lijiang city, look for someplace in the New Town that's within a 20-25 minute walk from the Old Town. The closest nameplate is the Crowne Plaza Ancient Town which is opposite the south edge of same. Alternate areas with a lot of acceptable hotels would be anything on or east of Xianggelila Avenue, between Yufu Road on the north edge and the S308 on the south edge. Refer to ditu.google.com for clarity. Alternate suggestion is to stay in Shuhe, particularly if you want to stay in a more intimate guesthouse in a smaller setting, though the Banyan Tree and Pullman are also in Shuhe if your wallet is fat.
Shangri-La: 2/3 of Old Town burned down in January, but a few establishments are still in the unburned part. My personal preference is to stay by the Monastery but there aren't any cheap options there. There are quite a few newer hotels in the area north of the Old Town, closer to the main market, and they would be acceptably located for walkarounds.

Finally, and not (only) related to this trip, how long does it take to get a ticket from CTrip for a non-native with residence permit and local bank? I know that paperwork needs to be verified, but is the ticket held for that time, or do I have to wait to see what prices and availability are? This would obviously affect my itinerary given the seemingly limited space DIG-SHA.
For the outbound to LJG I'd book online now. For the return: If you'll be back in China within the week, I recommend just gambling that there will still be seats available on the DIG-SHA flight, and pop by a local agent or any MU office and buy it in person with cash RMB or UnionPay. If, worst case, the seats sell out for the DIG flight, you still have plenty of time to Plan B it back to Lijiang by bus in the morning then a mid-afternoon or early evening flight back to Shanghai.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 9:20 pm

Thanks moondog and jiejie.

After moondog's post I went to book it and realized that I misunderstood the website. I thought it was 1500 RMB return to LNG - it was one way! The trip is getting more expensive (no Banyan Tree for me!).

I think that I will likely just go to the TA across the road after class on Monday and hope for the best.

I'm pretty excited for the trip!

Thanks

Dr. PITUK
Old Sep 30, 2014, 11:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by moondog
1. They won't send a delivery guy out just to give you an eticket receipt. If you need the receipt for expenses, they can either mail it to you or hold it at the airport. Our company has them keep all of our receipts at SHA, and we pick them up about once a month. That way, it's impossible to mistake them for junk mail.

2. SHA-LJG usually doesn't discount much, so if you found a great rate, I would be inclined to grab it sooner rather than later.

3. I looked at Ctrip's "Union Pay Online Payment" option today, and must say that it sure looked like it would work with regular bank cards. Try it out and let us know how it goes.

4. When I refer to travel agents, I'm not speaking of bespoke tours and the like, but rather an office with a computer that is tied into Travelsky. You go there, tell them your name, your passport number, and the flight you want. Then, they take your money, and issue a ticket for you. The system is absurdly simple.
ETA: #3 does not work at present with debit cards.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 12:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
I will offer an alternative idea, staying in Old Town. I did that and found it to be not too expensive (120 RMB/night) for my own room. I liked being close to things and wasn't a bad experience.

jiejie of course has great thoughts too, so you can consider both options.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 9:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: various
Originally Posted by mnredfox
I will offer an alternative idea, staying in Old Town. I did that and found it to be not too expensive (120 RMB/night) for my own room. I liked being close to things and wasn't a bad experience.

jiejie of course has great thoughts too, so you can consider both options.
If you want to try staying in Lijiang Old Town, then stay in the eastern half which is much quieter at night. Lijiang Old Town is convenient for 1) itself, Black Dragon Pool, Dongba Museum 2) minibuses to Jade Dragon Snow Mountain Park, 3) Tina's Hostel bus to TLG. Other than that, IMO not particularly convenient for anything else.
Old Oct 11, 2014, 7:22 am

Hi all,

Sorry for not replying sooner. I was SO looking forward to this trip, but unfortunately I just can't fit it in with my work schedule.

I came to China to see the country and take advantage of my academic schedule, but it turns out that I actually have to do my outside work as well - what's up with that!?!? . I am still going to get away and go to Beijing for 4 days. After all, I can't be in China for 3+ months without seeing the Great Wall (with http://www.beijinghikers.com/) and the Forbidden City! I would naturally choose Yunnan or Lhasa (and Everest) or Ordos, but it will still be a great trip. 4 nights at the Conrad can't hurt in any case .

Thanks for all your help and I hope that I can do this trip in the future.

Dr. PITUK
Old Feb 23, 2015, 9:05 am

Programs: SQ*G, SPG Platinum, FPC Premier
Anyone keen on retracing Jiejie's steps some time down the road? Am finally more or less settled down in SH and would like to start experiencing this land beyond business trips.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.