Reload this Page >

The Jinghu (Beijing-Shanghai) High Speed Rail thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 21, 2018, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: moondog
I started this thread almost exactly 7 years ago. Not a lot has changed since then, but I think a wikipost is now justified:
-Jing refers to Beijing and Hu refers to Shanghai
-the smaller cities in the middle derive the greatest economic benefit from the service
-air fares have dropped a lot during the course of the past 7 years, and the delay situation has improved quite a bit, so I usually fly these days
-single digit trains tend to stop only in Nanjing, double digit trains stop in Nanjing and Jinan, and triple digit trains have up to 7 station stops.
-the vast majority of trains terminate at Shanghai Hongqiao, which isn't convenient for many people, but Shanghai Station service has recently been launched
-if you have a few days advance on your hands, buy tickets locally; in addition to being a little cheaper, this spares the need for will call
Print Wikipost

The Jinghu (Beijing-Shanghai) High Speed Rail thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2012, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by moondog
You can use the blue tickets in the red ticket line, but not vice versa (well you can, but at the risk of annoying the people behind you).
when we were in Dujiangyan going back to Chengdu, we tried to get in the Red Ticket line (it was 1/4 the size of the blue line) they said it was Red only.

oh well, we had assigned seats so it wasnt a big deal.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sard
when we were in Dujiangyan going back to Chengdu, we tried to get in the Red Ticket line (it was 1/4 the size of the blue line) they said it was Red only.

oh well, we had assigned seats so it wasnt a big deal.
The machines are (at least) 4x faster than humans.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 10:51 pm
R&R

Programs: 1K-UA/AA, LT PLAT-MARRIOTT(1984), HILTON-GOLD, HYATT-GOLD
WOW! I am having 'brain spin' after reading all that!
It sounds like the TV series the 'Amazing Race'.

I assume yoy carry on your luggage and keep it with you?
Plan on traveling with two Rollons and checking one of them on the planes..

Are there many problems with theft or pickpockets?
Normally I don't let luggage out of my sight or contact with my legs.
May have to stick to flying as an English speaker and limit walking the long distances, especially in crowded stations!

Surprising there are so few Green Tea drinkers on here, which is the easiest to order hot water anywhere. Always have green tea bags with me when traveling.
After learning of Tie Kuan Yin on my last CX trips, it is my go to for a wonderful refreshing health promoting refreshing interlude, any time. ^
Old Mar 31, 2013, 11:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by R&R
WOW! I am having 'brain spin' after reading all that!
It sounds like the TV series the 'Amazing Race'.

I assume yoy carry on your luggage and keep it with you?
Plan on traveling with two Rollons and checking one of them on the planes..

Are there many problems with theft or pickpockets?
Normally I don't let luggage out of my sight or contact with my legs.
May have to stick to flying as an English speaker and limit walking the long distances, especially in crowded stations!

Surprising there are so few Green Tea drinkers on here, which is the easiest to order hot water anywhere. Always have green tea bags with me when traveling.
After learning of Tie Kuan Yin on my last CX trips, it is my go to for a wonderful refreshing health promoting refreshing interlude, any time. ^
The train honestly isn't that scary, even for non Chinese speakers. You could always ship one or two bags (a fairly common practice, and not expensive), or just suck it up and lug them around (there are escalators/elevators at all train stations and most subways stations). I've never heard of any pickpocket experiences on this route (ticket prices seem to be high enough to keep poor people away).
Old Apr 1, 2013, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

Deleted

Last edited by moondog; Apr 1, 2013 at 1:17 pm
Old Apr 1, 2013, 4:52 pm
R&R

Talking Leisure travel with a purpose-

I have only one mission in China for this trip besides enjoying the sights & tastes of Chna's most interesting culture & history.
That mission is finding the 1 1/2 Km long street full of Tea Leave shops in Beijing, as well as any others, that I may pass by.

I was a coffee addict for the first two thirds of my life.
And was finally able recover with a Chinese Herbal Extract Detox program & Green tea, 26 years ago! ^

Now I am just a recovered Coffee expert and current advanced Green/Oolong Tea expert.
It has helped me recover from a very serious bladder disease, that was the reason for cancelling many trips the past 3 years. :-::-::-:

So I am baffled why Charbucks Coffee (StarYucks) is so popular even in China after 5000 years of recorded history for most healthy tea drinking! Same for carbonated soft drinks (cold or not)!

Last edited by R&R; Apr 2, 2013 at 5:15 pm
Old Apr 1, 2013, 8:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by R&R
I have only one mission in China for this trip besides enjoying the sights & tastes of Chna's most interesting culture & history.
That mission is finding the 1 1/2 Km long street full of Tea Leave shops in Beijing, as well as any others, that I may pass by.
Be careful!

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china...t-fleeced.html
Old Apr 11, 2013, 5:45 pm
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
Business Class - Jinghu Line^

Sweet!

Old Apr 11, 2013, 10:18 pm

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
The "mini cabin" business class seat sections at the front of the train are very pleasant. I think 5 seats intogether. Then, of course, the experience is a bit diminished by the horrid food the ministry of railways serves on it's CRH trains...

My favourite coffeeshop (passable food, wifi) in the corridors between Honqgiao railway station and SHA T2 was shut recently so nowadays do takeaways from the opposite Burger King outlet.

I do think even the very serviceable money exchange outlet has shut down in the same corridors. But then of course in China the commercial execution doesn't matter as the most important thing is to build the property and tag a value to it.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by mosburger
The "mini cabin" business class seat sections at the front of the train are very pleasant. I think 5 seats intogether. Then, of course, the experience is a bit diminished by the horrid food the ministry of railways serves on it's CRH trains...

t.
IMO Chinese food is fantastic. Why the train is so horrible? Seems that a train would be perfect for a dimsum cart. What a shame.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 2:09 am
R&R

Thumbs up

Great looking modern train!
VIP of course!
Old Apr 12, 2013, 4:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by R&R
Great looking modern train!
VIP of course!
No way! The 1100 saved can buy a pretty awesome to go feast. Plus, since all trains operate during the day, the ability to lie flat isn't such a compelling draw.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 11:12 am
R&R

Agreed with money better spent on a Chinese feast.

"VIP of course" was referring to the picture.
I concur, it is way TOO expensive!

Seems like the prices for VIP is excessive for China relative values!

Last edited by R&R; Apr 12, 2013 at 5:07 pm
Old Apr 12, 2013, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by moondog
Plus, since all trains operate during the day, the ability to lie flat isn't such a compelling draw.
A blanket, pillow, eyeshades, and some Chinese Lunesta
would work.

Old Apr 12, 2013, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

For those that aren't 12 year old girls with coal miner parents, biz doesn't pencil.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.