Reload this Page >

The Jinghu (Beijing-Shanghai) High Speed Rail thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 21, 2018, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: moondog
I started this thread almost exactly 7 years ago. Not a lot has changed since then, but I think a wikipost is now justified:
-Jing refers to Beijing and Hu refers to Shanghai
-the smaller cities in the middle derive the greatest economic benefit from the service
-air fares have dropped a lot during the course of the past 7 years, and the delay situation has improved quite a bit, so I usually fly these days
-single digit trains tend to stop only in Nanjing, double digit trains stop in Nanjing and Jinan, and triple digit trains have up to 7 station stops.
-the vast majority of trains terminate at Shanghai Hongqiao, which isn't convenient for many people, but Shanghai Station service has recently been launched
-if you have a few days advance on your hands, buy tickets locally; in addition to being a little cheaper, this spares the need for will call
Print Wikipost

The Jinghu (Beijing-Shanghai) High Speed Rail thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2018, 10:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tauphi
Pretty sure G trains have been around at the main station for years. So I don't think it's about people not knowing, more likely it's the lack of frequency that discourages their use.
I believe they were introduced within the past 2 months, but I'm not 100% certain of this.

ETA: I just messaged my friend who works closely with the MOR (she sells ads on trains), and she confirmed that these trains started service 2 months ago. I do believe they will become popular over time, and they will add trains at more desirable times.

Last edited by moondog; Sep 25, 2018 at 11:09 pm
Old Sep 26, 2018, 12:40 pm

Here to confirm: took the G12 (19:08) from Beijing-nan to Shanghai Railway Station. Return on the G21 (12:00) from Shanghai Railway Station to Beijing-nan. Smooth and punctual ride; the train there on Saturday evening was pretty quiet but the Monday noon train was packed - not a good reference though since it was Autumn Festival. Loved Shanghai, the Pullman Jing'an was also great and 2 minutes from Shanghai Railway Station.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 10:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tim_R
Here to confirm: took the G12 (19:08) from Beijing-nan to Shanghai Railway Station. Return on the G21 (12:00) from Shanghai Railway Station to Beijing-nan. Smooth and punctual ride; the train there on Saturday evening was pretty quiet but the Monday noon train was packed - not a good reference though since it was Autumn Festival. Loved Shanghai, the Pullman Jing'an was also great and 2 minutes from Shanghai Railway Station.
I want to thank you again for bringing these trains to our attention. I have a number of travel planner friends at WPP (which is also very close to Shanghai Stn), and they had zero knowledge about them. Now, the new trains are an officially preferred option...but, nobody likes the 7a trains.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 2:52 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
I took the Beijing Shanghai train this week on the Fuxinghao. It was running at a consistent 350klms an hour and incredibly smooth. It took ~4.5 hours which is just so impressive. There’s free WiFi and usb charger at every seat.

I took the train to Hongqiao. I personally think it’s a much better laid out station than shanghai station. The direction for metro is much more clear vs having to walk out of the station in Shanghai
Old Sep 27, 2018, 3:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SP03
I took the Beijing Shanghai train this week on the Fuxinghao. It was running at a consistent 350klms an hour and incredibly smooth. It took ~4.5 hours which is just so impressive. There’s free WiFi and usb charger at every seat.

I took the train to Hongqiao. I personally think it’s a much better laid out station than shanghai station. The direction for metro is much more clear vs having to walk out of the station in Shanghai
I dislike both stations, but I agree that Hongqiao is the nicer of the two, and Line 10 is very convenient for me. That having been said, if I make the trip out there and the weather is nice, I'm much more inclined to jump on a plane. This is not an option at Shanghai Stn, which is a lot more convenient for many people, and Zhabei is becoming increasingly desirable.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 4:43 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Given how often planes are delayed in China, I personally would avoid flying from Beijing to Shanghai when the train is only 4.5 hours. It’s a long ride to Beijing Capital (although getting to Beijing South isn’t exactly that much better in traffic), but at least you don’t have to wait at the terminal for your flight.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 4:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SP03
Given how often planes are delayed in China, I personally would avoid flying from Beijing to Shanghai when the train is only 4.5 hours. It’s a long ride to Beijing Capital (although getting to Beijing South isn’t exactly that much better in traffic), but at least you don’t have to wait at the terminal for your flight.
PEK-SHA delays actually generally aren't so bad anymore. I keep track of my trips on a spreadsheet, and my average door-to-door times are now significantly better when flying. But, for anyone who happens to be in Zhabei, the train is a no brainer because getting to Hongqiao tacks on 45 minutes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.