Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SNAFU: ID Required for Train Ticket Purchase

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2011, 4:15 pm

Programs: various
Originally Posted by jamar
The silly thing is here. Most recent foreign passports have RFID too, why can't the readers at the automatic machines accept those? Wave your passport against the reader, have it read off your name and passport number, then print your ticket.
1) Not all countries are issuing RFID passports.
2) I believe it is not legal for anybody other than authorized immigration agents with RFID readers, to scan a passport. No scanning for commercial uses. Remember the passport is not your property, it is the property of your government...and subject to those rules and those of international agreements.

I personally would not want my passport to be scanned by my Chinese Big Brother except where absolutely required--at immigration. (Though my passport is actually RFID-less ^).

The real silliness is even requiring Real-ID for bullet trains whether at machine or window, especially for short-haul seat tickets.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 8:11 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
Oh. The more you know.

Then the next best thing to hope for is that they tone this down or give foreigners an ID that can be read by the ticket machines. It's not so much of a problem at Shanghai West (I've yet to see a line at the ticket counter there), but leaving from Shanghai/Hongqiao stations it's becoming a total pain to stand in line for a short run.
Old Jun 19, 2011, 7:54 am

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by jiejie
1) Not all countries are issuing RFID passports.
2) I believe it is not legal for anybody other than authorized immigration agents with RFID readers, to scan a passport. No scanning for commercial uses. Remember the passport is not your property, it is the property of your government...and subject to those rules and those of international agreements.

I personally would not want my passport to be scanned by my Chinese Big Brother except where absolutely required--at immigration. (Though my passport is actually RFID-less ^).

The real silliness is even requiring Real-ID for bullet trains whether at machine or window, especially for short-haul seat tickets.
My current passport does not have RFID. When I get the next one with RFID, I will be disabling it anyways by smashing it with a hammer. I also wouldn't want China or any other country, including the US, scanning my passport electronically.
Old Jun 19, 2011, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by susiesan
My current passport does not have RFID. When I get the next one with RFID, I will be disabling it anyways by smashing it with a hammer. I also wouldn't want China or any other country, including the US, scanning my passport electronically.
And your passport would probably be useless if you do so.
Old Jun 19, 2011, 8:37 am

Programs: various
Originally Posted by William S
And your passport would probably be useless if you do so.
Actually, no. RFID-chipped passports where the scan doesn't work can have the information manually entered, so they aren't useless. The chips have been known to malfunction for reasons other than being smashed with a hammer (or fried in a microwave)--it's not a perfect technology. Whether the issuing country would find the hammer-smashed chip amusing is a different story...
Old Jun 19, 2011, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by jiejie
Actually, no. RFID-chipped passports where the scan doesn't work can have the information manually entered, so they aren't useless. The chips have been known to malfunction for reasons other than being smashed with a hammer (or fried in a microwave)--it's not a perfect technology. Whether the issuing country would find the hammer-smashed chip amusing is a different story...
It is anyhow a tampering with the passport so it may lead to punishment and/or denial of entry into a country.
Old Jun 19, 2011, 12:24 pm

It is anyhow a tampering with the passport so it may lead to punishment and/or denial of entry into a country.
Yes, but you don't tell the customs person you damaged the RFID chip. You just say "gee, I don't know what happene. It was fine on my last trip." As jiejie said, they can become defective all by themselves.

Have you read threads in the Travel Safety/Security section of FT? Many people here do this regularly, disable their RFID chips. The passport can still be used, just manually.
Old Jun 19, 2011, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by susiesan
Yes, but you don't tell the customs person you damaged the RFID chip. You just say "gee, I don't know what happene. It was fine on my last trip." As jiejie said, they can become defective all by themselves.

Have you read threads in the Travel Safety/Security section of FT? Many people here do this regularly, disable their RFID chips. The passport can still be used, just manually.
Does the chip contain the same information as the machine readable zone of the photo page of the passport? Then I do not see much difference in destroying it anyway.
Old Jun 19, 2011, 3:04 pm
Ambassador: China
Original Poster

Programs: UA AA CO
If the rfid is disabled, chances are you couldn't use the Global Entry Program,
which is worth the fee if you travel a lot international.

http://globalentry.gov/
Old Jun 19, 2011, 3:16 pm

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by anacapamalibu
If the rfid is disabled, chances are you couldn't use the Global Entry Program,
which is worth the fee if you travel a lot international.

http://globalentry.gov/
At least at the moment, Global Entry uses only the MRZ to facilitate compatibility with previous generation passports without RFID. That may change, of course, once all the old passports have expired and are out of circulation.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 9:56 am

Programs: Star Alliance - AC
Vigilance waning

Today we purchased two tickets and we had to show our passports. Lady entered the whole passport id properly.

Then we went to the xray machine, operator was too busy playing a video game so he just told us to go through.

Then the ticket and id verifier was talking on a cell phone and smoking so he just waved us through.

Vigilance!!!!
Old Jun 27, 2011, 11:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

For kicks, when I bought my train ticket earlier today, I provided the ticket seller guy with my passport number only (hand written) and he was cool with this. (I brought along my actual passport as a back-up plan, but I just wanted to test the waters.)
Old Jun 27, 2011, 12:32 pm
Ambassador: China
Original Poster

Programs: UA AA CO
Originally Posted by moondog
For kicks, when I bought my train ticket earlier today, I provided the ticket seller guy with my passport number only (hand written) and he was cool with this. (I brought along my actual passport as a back-up plan, but I just wanted to test the waters.)
Would that work in Beijing, or maybe just Shanghai?
Old Jun 27, 2011, 12:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by anacapamalibu
Would that work in Beijing, or maybe just Shanghai?
I'll let you know next week; I'm on the verge of becoming a commuter, and am happy as a clam about this.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 8:18 am

arrival time at train stations

Originally Posted by Taiwaned
Today we purchased two tickets and we had to show our passports. Lady entered the whole passport id properly.

Then we went to the xray machine, operator was too busy playing a video game so he just told us to go through.

Then the ticket and id verifier was talking on a cell phone and smoking so he just waved us through.

Vigilance!!!!
I didn't realize one had to go through an x-ray machine line to board trains in China. With the time for this and having a ticket/ ID verified, how far in advance should I get to train stations before the departure time of the train? Are Chinese trains on time? If I'm going to buy the ticket at the station for the next train out, how much time should I allow for that? I will only be taking short rides in the Yangtze area, around and between Shanghai, Nanjing, Suzhou, Hangzhou and not any long distance trains or sleepers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.