SNAFU: ID Required for Train Ticket Purchase

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SNAFU: ID Required for Train Ticket Purchase

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2011, 11:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Like I've suggested before, my gut tells me that this issue is being blown (way) out of proportion. According to the article I read yesterday, foreigners are welcome to buy tickets online, and I fully expect that the machines will we updated in short order to accommodate us. While it wouldn't surprise me if we are inconvenienced during the (immediate) short term, I believe the bugs will be worked out in a matter of weeks. Basically, since the powers that be have a vested interest in making HSR as popular as possible, removing bottlenecks will be a top priority.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 11:46 am

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by sniles
I haven't read the entire thread, but I suggest editing the OP as from personal experience it is certainly possible to purchase a ticket presenting only a copy of the passport. Since June 1st my driver has on three occasions taken a copy of my pp and purchased tickets without any hassle.
I can only speak for Shanghai and all tickets were purchased for the SH-NJ-SH G trains from a Jing'an Ticket Center.
Can you tell me what a Jing'an Ticket center is? Is this a travel agency in Shanghai? Is there one near the Royal meridian, which is where I'm staying?
Old Jun 14, 2011, 11:53 am
Ambassador: China
Original Poster

Programs: UA AA CO
Originally Posted by moondog
According to the article I read yesterday, foreigners are welcome to buy tickets online, .
Can you provide the url for a site that doesn't require you to input in
Chinese characters for booking, let alone be able to to read Chinese.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by anacapamalibu
Can you provide the url for a site that doesn't require you to input in
Chinese characters for booking, let alone be able to to read Chinese.
I read the (English) print edition during my horrible flight yesterday (I also read pretty much everything else I could find on the airplane, including the Chinese mags). The article mentioned a website, the URL of which started with a "9" (iirc) and was only numbers; google will surely find it.

Susie: I think you are stressing way to much about your conundrum; this stuff isn't rocket science. The Jing'an kiosk is located on Wanghangdu Lu, just north of NJ Road. This isn't especially close to People's Square, but you could certainly go there without expending too much effort. I'm also willing to bet that there is a kiosk in People's Square or close to it; ten seconds on google could confirm/deny.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 12:40 pm
Original Poster

[QUOTE=moondog;16559782] The article mentioned a website, the URL of which started with a "9" (iirc) and was only numbers; google will surely find it.
QUOTE]

http://www.12306.cn/mormhweb/

Great website for "foreigners" ie: expatriated CBCs.
emailed them about an english version of the site
reply: "mei you"
Old Jun 14, 2011, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by susiesan
Can you tell me what a Jing'an Ticket center is? Is this a travel agency in Shanghai? Is there one near the Royal meridian, which is where I'm staying?
Easiest to give to business office at hotel. Shouldn't charge more than
15RMB per ticket service charge. Maybe a bit more because they can
justify upcharge for the new policy.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 12:58 pm

Wink me stressed????

Susie: I think you are stressing way to much about your conundrum; this stuff isn't rocket science. The Jing'an kiosk is located on Wanghangdu Lu, just north of NJ Road. This isn't especially close to People's Square, but you could certainly go there without expending too much effort. I'm also willing to bet that there is a kiosk in People's Square or close to it; ten seconds on google could confirm/deny.
I'm not really stressed, I just like to know in advance how to work things in the places I'm visiting; how to ride subways, where and how to ride trains, how to get from airports into the city, etc. Knowing how to "work it" once I'm in China leaves more time for sightseeing, shopping, and eating.

If as this ticket buying ID think shakes out one can go back to having someone get tickets for you without an original passport, then my conundrum is taken care of.

You should have read my thread about an ill fated trip to Cambodia in 2008 on the Cathay Pacific board. I was quite famous/infamous amongst the regulars with my trip planning and questions about the flight. The people on that board take CX waaay too seriously.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...89-report.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...iesan-now.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...-susiesan.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...-trip-yet.html
Old Jun 14, 2011, 5:18 pm

Programs: UA 2P, DL, FL A+ Elite, AA
Like I've suggested before, my gut tells me that this issue is being blown (way) out of proportion. According to the article I read yesterday, foreigners are welcome to buy tickets online, and I fully expect that the machines will we updated in short order to accommodate us. While it wouldn't surprise me if we are inconvenienced during the (immediate) short term, I believe the bugs will be worked out in a matter of weeks. Basically, since the powers that be have a vested interest in making HSR as popular as possible, removing bottlenecks will be a top priority.
there was no bottleneck (aside except for the x-ray belt security check at the entrance) when I got tickets at Hongqiao a couple weeks ago.

We had to show passports to purchase, but there was no passport check at the turnstiles to board or disembark.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 8:52 pm

Programs: Amex-gold, Hainan-gold, Mrt-LT Titanium
I'm not really stressed, I just like to know in advance how to work things in the places I'm visiting;

You will enjoy China; But there are NO safe harbors here on transportation , its a fluid thing.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 1:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Like I've suggested before, my gut tells me that this issue is being blown (way) out of proportion.
I agree. Heck, who is going to be checking PP's. Certainly not someone trained to tell a real American PP from a fake one. They don't even care if the metal detector is screaming away as the hordes rush through and around the detectors to rush on their trains.

Just check with your hotel where to buy tickets. You can also do the old fashioned way and head to the train station. Ticket machines still in the main boarding area.

I'm not really stressed, I just like to know in advance how to work things in the places I'm visiting; how to ride subways, where and how to ride trains, how to get from airports into the city, etc. Knowing how to "work it" once I'm in China leaves more time for sightseeing, shopping, and eating.

If as this ticket buying ID think shakes out one can go back to having someone get tickets for you without an original passport, then my conundrum is taken care of.

You should have read my thread about an ill fated trip to Cambodia in 2008 on the Cathay Pacific board. I was quite famous/infamous amongst the regulars with my trip planning and questions about the flight. The people on that board take CX waaay too seriously.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...89-report.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...iesan-now.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...-susiesan.html

Fair enough, I'm all for supporting prepared travel. Do your best, but still be "fluid" (as previous FT-er says), since this is China. Hope your trip is going well!
Old Jun 15, 2011, 9:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mnredfox
Just check with your hotel where to buy tickets. You can also do the old fashioned way and head to the train station. Ticket machines still in the main boarding area.
D
For "C' "D" and "G" trains need to purchase at the window as
machines won't read passorts.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by mnredfox
Fair enough, I'm all for supporting prepared travel. Do your best, but still be "fluid" (as previous FT-er says), since this is China. Hope your trip is going well!
Her trip isn't until October; I didn't any of us were unaware of this basic factoid.

Susie: thanks for sharing those old threads, "Godspeed Susiean!" was my favorite.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 1:04 pm

I know that some of the web sites that show train schedules and ticket prices are travel agencies (travelchinaguide.com), and they are good for seeing what the train numbers are and how long they take. I realize the prices they show have a markup on them.

Is there a web site that shows what the actual fares are between two points that I would pay when buying the train tickets either at the station or ticket agency in China?
Old Jun 15, 2011, 2:18 pm

Programs: various
I know that some of the web sites that show train schedules and ticket prices are travel agencies (travelchinaguide.com), and they are good for seeing what the train numbers are and how long they take. I realize the prices they show have a markup on them.

Is there a web site that shows what the actual fares are between two points that I would pay when buying the train tickets either at the station or ticket agency in China?
Already linked on the Master Transportation thread under the train section. 12306 for Chinese (official and correct) and cnvol for English (usually correct or very close).
Old Jun 15, 2011, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by jiejie
Already linked on the Master Transportation thread under the train section. 12306 for Chinese (official and correct) and cnvol for English (usually correct or very close).
Thanks jiejie. I had looked at cnvol before but didn't go far enough into it to see the fares. These are the real fares, not travel agency fares, right?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.