Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SNAFU: ID Required for Train Ticket Purchase

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2011, 2:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Nola Rice
Thanks for the explanation, I have never understood why on the business tickets it is my job to kick people out of my seats. I do love to watch the Chinese people argue over the seating.

Maybe it is a cultural thing I also do not understand, but all the floor in front of lav sitters spend the entire trip talking on their cell phones. I can not understand how they will not spend money for a seat yet spend it for the cell phones. It is truly amazing to me. Those floors are filthly. And I would think safety would be an issue as I have seen many falls when the trains lurch.
Wuzuo tickets cost just as much as normal tickets.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 2:10 am

Programs: Skyteam
Thanks again for the response, now going on the Internet to look up Wuzuo tickets.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 2:13 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Ex-UA-1K
Originally Posted by susiesan
Each of the three times I had the hotel buy our tickets, they asked for a copy of the passports or made one. Our passport number was printed on the tickets but no one at train stations checked. Why do they bother?
I've been on two trains where the attendant actually checked the ticket as well as scanned the identity cards using some sort of handheld device.

I was ignored completely both times when they saw that I had a foreign passport.

And this was twice out of maybe 30-35 trips on the HSR since the ID system was started

FYI, trips were from Shanghai to Zhengzhou and Wenzhou to Nanjing
Old Nov 3, 2011, 2:23 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Ex-UA-1K
Thanks again for the response, now going on the Internet to look up Wuzuo tickets.
I don't think I've actually seen wuzuo sold online directly. Anyone know a website where this is possible? I assume what would happen is you'd buy a second-class ticket but then be told (hopefully) that second class is sold out and your ticket is actually a wuzuo (if you still want it).
Old Nov 3, 2011, 2:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

无 = no 
座 = seat
Old Nov 3, 2011, 11:51 pm

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Thanks for the explanation, I have never understood why on the business tickets it is my job to kick people out of my seats. I do love to watch the Chinese people argue over the seating.

Maybe it is a cultural thing I also do not understand, but all the floor in front of lav sitters spend the entire trip talking on their cell phones. I can not understand how they will not spend money for a seat yet spend it for the cell phones. It is truly amazing to me. Those floors are filthly. And I would think safety would be an issue as I have seen many falls when the trains lurch.
With a phone you can make more money, sitting on the floor saves money. Many Chinese tend to be extremely stingy if they are not on expenses.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 1:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Ok, after trying to the work the system a bit I think here lies the options for foreignors:

1. Train station - old fashioned get in line to buy from a person
2. Hotel or other service - requires copy of PP and small fee
3. China railways website - requires use of China bank card and then pick up at train station (or authorized ticket place for small fee)
4. Ctrip - requires PP# and will deliver (for small fee)
5. Automatic ticket machines
- Either the machines don't have ID requirements (the ones at Shanghai now do)
- Or you borrow the ID of the guy behind you who just wants you to hurry up so he can buy his ticket

Did I get this right?

jiejie, when you get back from vacation may be worth updating the master transportation thread.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.