Wiki Posts
Search

Petty gripe: airport names, city names

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2011, 8:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Petty gripe: airport names, city names

I propose that we agree not to conflate airport names with their respective cities.

Names that are cool (in our forum):

Beijing - BJ
Shanghai - SH
Guangzhou - GZ
Hangzhou - HZ
Hong Kong - HK

While airport codes work as well in certain situations, imo we should just steer clear of them all together.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 12:32 pm

Programs: Star Alliance - AC
When you start dealing with the smaller chinese cities whose names are hard enough to remember and you put airport codes into the mix, it does get very confusing at times.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by moondog
I propose that we agree not to conflate airport names with their respective cities.

Names that are cool (in our forum):

Beijing - BJ
Shanghai - SH
Guangzhou - GZ
Hangzhou - HZ
Hong Kong - HK

While airport codes work as well in certain situations, imo we should just steer clear of them all together.
These are all commonly used short form for these cities in PRC and Asia.

I have been asked why is BJ - PEK by younger travellers who did not realize that the old English name for BJ was Peking or GZ - CAN > Canton.

Telling non-Asian travelling that I am going to SIN always get a good laugh.

If you think that is confusing try Canadian airport codes? The only ones that make sense at all are YVR - VancouveR and YOW= OttaWa.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 10:28 am

Programs: FB Platinum
Plus......SZ (Shenzhen) and CQ (Chongqing)

The only airport codes I can remember are PEK, SHA, PVG, SZX, CAN, HKG, SHE.....I have all on remembering which city I am in most of the time, let alone the airport code

nickyboy
Old Feb 2, 2011, 10:14 pm

Programs: SQ
lol NJ too.....the best thing about these are that chinese speakers understand them as well as we do! Except when i throw in TW....they get a little confused by that one

For us northerners...SZ is suzhou sometimes lol
Old Feb 3, 2011, 5:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by benzemalyonnais
lol NJ too.....the best thing about these are that chinese speakers understand them as well as we do! Except when i throw in TW....they get a little confused by that one

For us northerners...SZ is suzhou sometimes lol
I think the common usage of shortening long names into two characters is carrying over to two letters in the Western alphabets, OK?
Old Feb 3, 2011, 5:50 am
Original Poster

When I started this thread, my intent was to express discontent with people saying they are visiting <PEK, PVG, NKG, etc> when they are actually talking about cities.

Since airports tend to be far away from cities in China, thread titles like "best hotel in PVG" are inherently confusing unless they are seeking information about the area near the airport only.

As far as the two letter thing is concerned, I don't know how that started... maybe sms. I didn't even think about the potential problem with "SZ" until nickyboy brought it up.
Old Feb 3, 2011, 11:27 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by moondog

Since airports tend to be far away from cities in China, thread titles like "best hotel in PVG" are inherently confusing unless they are seeking information about the area near the airport only.

Although the same could be said for ORD, JFK, IAD, IAH, DFW, and many others.
Old Feb 3, 2011, 1:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by drewguy
Although the same could be said for ORD, JFK, IAD, IAH, DFW, and many others.
Are there any threads (at all) the equivocate those airport codes with cities?

ETA: actually, I want to single out IAD here... zero "visiting the White House" threads use that lingo. As for the rest, maybe a few newbies slip by, but it's certainly not common practice.
Old Feb 3, 2011, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There is the airport code lookup link at the bottom of the FT forum pages which I find handy to pop up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.