Wiki Posts
Search

Mutianyu Great Wall & Longqing Ice Festival

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2011, 8:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum, Delta Gold, Avis First
Mutianyu Great Wall & Longqing Ice Festival

Thanks to so many here and on Tripadvisor, I have decided I will avoid tour companies and do most of the planning myself for my upcoming trip to Beijing.

I was wondering if someone was familiar with the distance and feasibility of combining an excursion to the Mutianyu section of the Wall (since it is more appealing to me than the busier Badaling part) then going to the Longqing Gorge Ice Festival later that night. Of course I understand that anything is possible if you want to pay enough....I was curious to know if there are decent roads and if it's actually 'doable'. It just seemed if I was venturing out of the city for the day I would want to try and combine this...

My propensity is to look at getting a car from the hotel (even if it costs more) for the comfort and security as opposed to hiring a misc person off emails or a taxi, especially since I'll be traveling alone.

Thoughts?
Old Jan 28, 2011, 10:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Longqing is north of town and so is Mutianyu, so your plan seems viable to me.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 11:37 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
I think you can do both in a day & same night (say start at 7am and finish by 10 pm). Both places are sort of north of the city (M being north east; and YG being slight north west) Despite the shorter day-light day, start early to Mutianyu, and finish by (or before) 3pm. Drive straight to Yangqing Gorge (with time to get dinner somewhere along the way). Your driver probably would use one of the east-west routes north of the city, bypassing the crazy traffic inside of Ring 6. He might just use S307 cross town and hook up with Badaling Expressway to destination.
I have never been to the Ice & Snow Festival. Sounds like fun. Please report back.

For your peace of mind, you can arrange a car with driver through the hotel. I usually negotiate with a driver (not taxi) who hangs out by the hotel front with his vehicle parked there. You can ask to see his license or whatever.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 12:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum, Delta Gold, Avis First
Thanks, it's useful to know. I guess it would be easier to do Badaling cause it's the same route but the idea of more tourists is not enjoyable. I'll have to research more and see what the time/cost/value equates to. Many thanks and I'll report back.

(of course anyone with more input is welcome to chime in. Thanks again)
Old Jan 29, 2011, 1:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by unigus
Thanks, it's useful to know. I guess it would be easier to do Badaling cause it's the same route but the idea of more tourists is not enjoyable. I'll have to research more and see what the time/cost/value equates to. Many thanks and I'll report back.

(of course anyone with more input is welcome to chime in. Thanks again)
Huanghuacheng isn't too far from there.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by unigus
Thanks to so many here and on Tripadvisor, I have decided I will avoid tour companies and do most of the planning myself for my upcoming trip to Beijing.

I was wondering if someone was familiar with the distance and feasibility of combining an excursion to the Mutianyu section of the Wall (since it is more appealing to me than the busier Badaling part) then going to the Longqing Gorge Ice Festival later that night. Of course I understand that anything is possible if you want to pay enough....I was curious to know if there are decent roads and if it's actually 'doable'. It just seemed if I was venturing out of the city for the day I would want to try and combine this...

My propensity is to look at getting a car from the hotel (even if it costs more) for the comfort and security as opposed to hiring a misc person off emails or a taxi, especially since I'll be traveling alone.

Thoughts?
I am a native Beijinger.I can help you to do the trip.you can contact me.

Last edited by Canarsie; Feb 4, 2011 at 10:02 pm Reason: Deleted e-mail address.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.