Wiki Posts
Search

Xiu and Lan (Beijing)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2011, 10:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Xiu and Lan (Beijing)

I am writing to plug both of the establishments in the thread title.

Xiu was really cool when it first open, but many locals avoid it now because lots of prostitutes frequent it. While I dislike this element, the fact that the band (Maximum) is amazing makes up for it. Furthermore, the prices are borderline reasonable.

Meanwhile, Lan is one of those places that are worth experiencing at least once, in spite of the fact that it is a bit pricey. The "Jackson twins + Zero" deserve your presence because they are great guys and know their music.

I have brought FTers to both of these venues, and good times were had.

Last edited by moondog; Jan 2, 2011 at 3:43 am
Old Jan 1, 2011, 11:41 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Ex-UA-1K
I'm not accustomed to seeing recommendations for clubs here so nice! My first thought seeing the thread title was you were plugging a couple of local guides named Xiu and Lan that you liked!

Anyways, I've been to the former (somewhat remember that I liked it) but not the latter. Any big difference between the two or is LAN just another shiny incarnation of a typical Chinese club pandering to the nouveau riche.
Old Jan 1, 2011, 5:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mackenzie77
I'm not accustomed to seeing recommendations for clubs here so nice! My first thought seeing the thread title was you were plugging a couple of local guides named Xiu and Lan that you liked!

Anyways, I've been to the former (somewhat remember that I liked it) but not the latter. Any big difference between the two or is LAN just another shiny incarnation of a typical Chinese club pandering to the nouveau riche.
They are really different animals; Xiu is attached to a hotel and Lan is in an office building. The former has windows and rooftop patios; the latter is a Philippe Stark project with a seemingly unlimited budget. In spite of the high prices, I'm not convinced that Lan is profitable (especially if they have to pay market rates for rent because that place is enormous).
Old Jan 1, 2011, 6:53 pm
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
Originally Posted by mackenzie77
Any big difference between the two or is LAN just another shiny incarnation of a typical Chinese club pandering to the nouveau riche.
Where do the "old money" Chinese hang out?
Old Jan 1, 2011, 6:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by anacapamalibu
Where do the "old money" Chinese hang out?
中南海 (Zhong nan hai)?
Old Jan 1, 2011, 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by moondog
中南海 (Zhong nan hai)?
I'll pass on that party.
Old Jan 1, 2011, 8:58 pm

Programs: LH M&M, CX MPC Green
I'll pass on that party.
Speak for yourself
Old Jan 1, 2011, 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by Jamoldo
Speak for yourself
Its just a metaphor.

Ming Bai ma?

Last edited by anacapamalibu; Jan 1, 2011 at 10:40 pm
Old Jan 2, 2011, 12:36 am

I'll pass on that party.
^
Old Jan 2, 2011, 8:54 am

Programs: LH M&M, CX MPC Green
Its just a metaphor.

Ming Bai ma?
Si...

But taken literally, what I would pay to see some of those guys do a keg stand...
Old Mar 26, 2011, 10:16 pm
Original Poster

I was on the verge of starting a new thread on this topic because searching for "xiu" reveals nada, and this thread was five pages deep in our (small) forum.

Anyway, since I've been doing this R Lounge thing for past several months, I haven't had many chances to visit other venues, but have made it to Xiu twice. They have a new band now (the band that launched the place), which isn't as engaging as Maximum. In fact, my first visit was a complete let down. That having been said, I could tell they were starting to get in touch with the crowd last night. Basically, if you don't mind being in the presence of numerous working girls, then Xiu is still pretty fun.

I have not been to Lan since we captured their band (JTz), but the new band lives next to the Jacksons (in Shuangjing), and I hear they are nice people.
Old Mar 27, 2011, 8:19 pm

Programs: UA 1k, DL Platinum, HH Gold, Hyatt Gold
Eh. I fall into the category of folks not impressed by Xiu.

During the warm months the fantastic deck makes up for all of its other weaknesses, but during the other 9 months, I'm definitely not a fan. Aside from the aforementioned army of hookers, I find service here to be amongst the worst in town at high-end clubs, some of the bands I've heard have been REALLY bad, and I'd disagree that the drinks are okay priced - they're definitely on the high end, and the bartenders are pretty poorly trained... last time I went I wanted a cocktail made with whiskey, so I asked for a manhattan. Blank stare. Ok... an old fashioned. Blank stare. Jack & Coke? Yeah, he could manage that. What kind of bartender has never heard of a manhattan?

Oh yeah, and unless you know someone, are staying at the hotel, or have reservations, prepare to stand in line for at least 15minutes to 1/2hour to get in.

Anyhow... I'm amused by LAN. Its so gaudy and over the top that it's amusing. Though I've had issues there with the bartenders trying to hang onto change (a common beijing bartender move).

If you like LAN, I've always been a fan of Chocolate. Its got all the absurd tackiness of LAN, but taken to the next level. And unlike LAN, I *think* (though I'm still not sure) that the owners are in on the joke. A mohawked dwarf bouncer and gold plated urinals: nuff said.

Last edited by thezippy; Mar 27, 2011 at 11:54 pm
Old Mar 27, 2011, 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by thezippy
I've always been a fan of Chocolate. .
West Hollywood meets the Kremlin at Ritan Park.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 3:44 am
Original Poster

I went there for the very first time last week with a client, but it was kind of dead (I understand it usually doesn't fill up until later in the evening). For the forum readers that didn't get your "Kremlin" reference, Chocolate is very Russian, as are many of the other establishments in that area.

Getting back on topic, IMO all of the establishments mentioned in this thread to date warrant a look-see. Xiu seems to be the most disputed among us, but it is significantly cheaper than Lan (though still expensive), and rivals it in the Zhuangxiu category ($10 million USD is my estimate... Lan's number could be as much as twice that because it is enormous).
Old Mar 29, 2011, 2:47 am

Nice description!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.