Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Xiu and Lan (Beijing)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2011, 4:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

My friends and I ended up hitting Xiu last night and it was quite good (fyi, my guanxi there is still strong enough to jump the line, so feel free to PM me if you're in town and fancy dropping by). I'd like to retract my negative statements about the new/old band. While they aren't in the same league as JTz (R Lounge band) and their members aren't as physically attractive as Maximum (Xiu's last band), they managed to pack that place (maybe 2,000 people) in spite of the fact that the outdoor patio --one of Xiu's main draws-- is still operating in winter mode (tented).

As much as I appreciate that fact that Xiu's detractors are bothered by the significant presence of old white guys hanging out with hot Chinese girls, it isn't especially difficult to ignore that set. Furthermore, networking opportunities abound.

From a business standpoint, their management is best in class; tell me one hotel bar (anywhere in the world) that is more successful. I initially doubted the wisdom of them sending Maximum home, but things seem to have worked out okay (new blood is good for the bottom line).
Old Apr 17, 2011, 9:41 am

Programs: SK EBG, BAEC Gold
Slightly off-topic question. I headed over to the Eastside (Gongti area) last night from my cocoon in Haidian for the first time this year. I was a bit perplexed though that at 2.30am as I headed home it was almost as difficult to get a taxi as when it rains in Beijing, with groups of people waiting at every corner - and inbetween - along the main roads. Is this standard these days, or just an anomaly?
Old Apr 17, 2011, 9:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GinFizz
Slightly off-topic question. I headed over to the Eastside (Gongti area) last night from my cocoon in Haidian for the first time this year. I was a bit perplexed though that at 2.30am as I headed home it was almost as difficult to get a taxi as when it rains in Beijing, with groups of people waiting at every corner - and inbetween - along the main roads. Is this standard these days, or just an anomaly?
I started a thread on this topic last October or so, which I'm going to dig up and reply to now.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 10:20 am
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
Originally Posted by moondog
tell me one hotel bar (anywhere in the world) that is more successful.
Skybar at Mondrian Hotel has had a long run of making money since 1996.
Total profit over 15 years should eclipse Xiu at only 2 years.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 10:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by anacapamalibu
Skybar at Mondrian Hotel has had a long run of making money since 1996.
Total profit over 15 years should eclipse Xiu at only 2 years.
Only time limited comparisons are relevant; in this respect, Xiu is far superior to the Sky Bar. Lest you not believe, come to Beijing and observe.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 10:52 am
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
That's not arguable.

The transfer of wealth from the US to China in the last 10 years will surely
show up in bar revenue at the Capital City.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 8:22 pm

Programs: various
Originally Posted by moondog
Only time limited comparisons are relevant; in this respect, Xiu is far superior to the Sky Bar. Lest you not believe, come to Beijing and observe.
Originally Posted by anacapamalibu
That's not arguable.

The transfer of wealth from the US to China in the last 10 years will surely
show up in bar revenue at the Capital City.
Let's look at the bright side: at least the US is exporting something to China: our drinkers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.