Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Changxi Island. Any info or thoughts? Thanks.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2010, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador

Associates daughter along with her husband and two kids are moving to China. His work will be on Changxi Island. The family can stay on the Island or live in Pudong. Any and all information or thoughts appreciated. Thank you.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 4:30 pm

Programs: Star Alliance - AC
Changxi Island?

Do you mean Changxing Island? The way you describe it, it is close to Pudong, near Shanghai right? As in the orange grove island?
Old Nov 18, 2010, 9:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Sorry if wrong spelling. This was all the information I was given. Thanks.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 8:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
Sorry if wrong spelling. This was all the information I was given. Thanks.
Taiwaned's guess is surely correct. (If it isn't, then the island in question is far enough away from Shanghai that one wouldn't contemplate commuting.) I've met a few taxi drivers from Changxing and have asked them what it's like (because I'm curious about such places). Their replies weren't exactly filled with enthusiasm.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 2:38 pm

Programs: Star Alliance - AC
I have never been there but always planned to go but it is so way out there. I think they are extending line 13 subway there but not positive when or even if they are still considering it.

Does his kids plan to go to school? If they are, consider the distance they have to travel. Pretty positive there are no great international schools they can attend on the island. (its orange groves out there)

What will the wife do? If she is stuck on the island, not a happy way to go. On the Pudong side, there is lots to do and Puxi is close enough.

Can't give you a definitive opinion because I haven't been there personally but if they are bringing family, let the guy going to work commute and let the family enjoy Shanghai. Living on the island will get old real quickly for the family.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 6:40 pm
Original Poster

The children are young so probably not school at least for one.

I will give them the info you provided. Thank you.

Any and all additional comments appreciated. Thanks.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 9:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
The children are young so probably not school at least for one.

I will give them the info you provided. Thank you.

Any and all additional comments appreciated. Thanks.
The outskirts of Pudong are quite livable these days (you get all of the downtown chains, plus better air quality). Meanwhile, Changxing is a bit of a wild card, but logic dictates that it's 10 years behind development wise.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.