Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

15-Story hotel put up 90 hours for 6 days!!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2010, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward

Wow! What a newest world records!!! Chinese guys are so hard workers to being built new 15-story hotel in Shanghai, China. So unbelievable!!! That was very fast for 6 days is already constructed new Hotel in China. So here the linked:

http://www.businessinsider.com/15-st...d7c86536030000

Youtube Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ps0DS...layer_embedded

What are you guys think about this?
Old Nov 13, 2010, 4:18 am

Programs: UA Plat
I'm thinking that Broad has a great PR department.

I'm also regretting standing in the wrong line at the Expo for their Sustainable House so I didn't get a chance to experience the earthquake simulator.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 10:35 pm
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
I'm thinking its actually reverse propaganda.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 11:24 pm

Programs: various
It's not that big a deal. (Disclaimer: I've got 25 years in the design, engineering, and construction/project management business, which is why I'm not inclined to chalk it up to special Chinese brilliance.)

1) The 6 days only really includes the above ground superstructure. Not included is the concrete foundation work or any of the finish work. So the headline "Building a Hotel in 6 Days" is actually pretty inaccurate since it lops off a huge amount of the front end and back end of the process.

2) The steel structure is all prefabricated, which took quite a bit of time that's not included in the 6 days. Once delivered to site, it goes together like a kid's Tinkertoy or Erector set, quite fast. But you trade off the months of site-built work for months of factory-built work instead.

3) Any competent construction management crew anywhere in the world, running workers in shifts 24/7 could have technically accomplished the same feat. The question really is "What's the point?" Which is why you don't see it done more often. Most owners and construction managers are not interested in Guiness Book of World Record-type situations. The realities of checks and balances in most western countries with official inspections and approvals, etc. is what would make it more difficult to pull off, as that's what would snarf time rather than the actual engineering installation.

4) As 15-story hotels with plain boxy designs like this are normally worked in China from reinforced concrete, not steel like this one (for cost reasons), you have to ask again "What's the point?" There would be no financial advantage in China to doing it this way.

5) To get this done, some shortcuts or agreements probably had to be done with the building inspectors on checking the structural connections. Either they just didn't do some of it (which would scare me, but it's possible), OR, the developer was willing to pay to have a full time crew of government and the required 3rd party inspectors on site 24/7 to follow the work and do the appropriate sign-offs (also possible).

I can only conclude that this was basically all planned and orchestrated far in advance, as a publicity er.... propaganda stunt. Kick the tires and it's really more a feat of will or possibly politics, and less a feat of technological prowess or labor work ethic.

Last edited by jiejie; Nov 15, 2010 at 11:35 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.