Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Using Credit Cards in China - The Great CC Rip Off (dynamic currency conversion)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using Credit Cards in China - The Great CC Rip Off (dynamic currency conversion)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2011, 8:28 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
Originally Posted by mnredfox
I didn't even know there were other cards that can be used on the discover network. Can these cards be used on Union Pay machines then?
If it's got a Discover logo, it'll work on any UnionPay machine except for most automated bill-payment/cellphone top-up terminals. Though again, most issuers don't offer zero forex fee like Discover itself does.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 9:35 am

Is the Discover card accepted widely in China?
Old Dec 14, 2011, 11:41 am

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by JCary
Is the Discover card accepted widely in China?
Pretty much universal. If you see the Union Pay logo, you can use Discover. Merchants may not be aware; you just have to convince them that Discover is Union Pay. Beware though in Hong Kong or Macau, acceptance of Union Pay doesn't mean you can use Discover.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 1:13 am

The problem is that sometimes you will run into hard-headed merchants who refuse to even try. The one or two times this has happened I have taken my business elsewhere.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 12:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
I've had my Visa successfully process through UP machines before, it's hit or miss though. Then it's DCC free.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 1:10 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by mnredfox
I've had my Visa successfully process through UP machines before, it's hit or miss though. Then it's DCC free.
Hmm...I did see DCC on Unionpay Tricolour carbon paper before - the acquirer is stated as CCB:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china...on-36.html#536

I think that's a UP terminal, cos there's only one terminal at each cashier point in Vue (Hyatt at the Bund).
Old Dec 16, 2011, 5:44 am

Yes, UnionPay terminals are also now capable of DCC, although if you look at the standby screen before the swipe it'll sometimes give you an indication (like the Carl's Jr BEA terminal, which shows "东亚银行DCC" as a menu option on the terminal before you swipe, though it runs as RMB by default, thank heaven).
Old Dec 17, 2011, 9:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by percysmith
Hmm...I did see DCC on Unionpay Tricolour carbon paper before - the acquirer is stated as CCB:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china...on-36.html#536

I think that's a UP terminal, cos there's only one terminal at each cashier point in Vue (Hyatt at the Bund).
Well in those cases I was not Dcc'd. Specifically I can use it at Long Ji restaurant in Jing An mall, and to pay my China Mobile bill. Sometimes it takes to or three tries to go through.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 5:52 am

If the "Jing An mall" is the one I think you're referring to (B1F of Jiuguang department store), then no, they don't. The acquirer there isn't known for DCC. I would love to know which China Mobile store took your Visa, though, because I've yet to see a single one that will.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 1:29 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Just an update, the Park Hyatt Shanghai and Grand Hyatt HK ask for currency preference prior to charging you.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by PiggieMac
Just an update, the Park Hyatt Shanghai and Grand Hyatt HK ask for currency preference prior to charging you.
Park Hyatt Shanghai - Is this for room checkout? My experience at Park Hyatt Shanghai (Morning Tea @ Living Room) was very different.

Is your slip billed under "SHANGHAI HILLS HOTEL"?

I've used my MC at four more places, and have been DCCed twice, both Hyatts. Many of them used Unionpay tricolour, with varying DCC results, which makes me think whether Unionpay itself is an acquirer or not.

1. Park Hyatt at the SWFC: Billed under "SHANGHAI HILLS HOTEL" (dodgy?!) on a Unionpay tricolour carbon slip. No acquirer identified on the slip.

I reversed it and handed over an Amex, the merchant ID's different (1043100xxxxxxxx vs MC merchant 0213236xxxxxxxx) (even tho same "SHANGHAI HILLS HOTEL" merchant name) and the acquirer was identified as 1042900.

On subsequent review of the merchant codes I guess Park Hyatt's merchant bank is BoC. Its MC merchant ID's 0213236xxxxxxx and Amex merchant ID's 1043100xxxxxxxx, Mum's Dongguan golf club BoC MC merchant ID's 0212100xxxxxxxxx and Amex is 1044011xxxxxxxxx - the fourth digit difference might be attributed to being in SH vs being in Dongguan (Guangdong).

I didn't see the terminal.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 8:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Park Hyatt Shanghai - Is this for room checkout? My experience at Park Hyatt Shanghai (Morning Tea @ Living Room) was very different.

Is your slip billed under "SHANGHAI HILLS HOTEL"?
Apart from a few golf courses, where are there hills in Shanghai?
Old Dec 18, 2011, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by moondog
Apart from a few golf courses, where are there hills in Shanghai?
Hehe

The Amex transaction posted for "PARK HYATT PUDONG-REST SHSHANGHAI CN ". But the slip did say Shanghai Hills - I think I kept the infringing DCC slip - I'll take a photo of it and post it when I get home.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 5:41 pm

Hehe

The Amex transaction posted for "PARK HYATT PUDONG-REST SHSHANGHAI CN ". But the slip did say Shanghai Hills - I think I kept the infringing DCC slip - I'll take a photo of it and post it when I get home.
Here are the Park Hyatt Shanghai and Hyatt on the Bund Shanghai slips - the photos didn't turn out too well so I did a greyscale scan instead:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/76182309/H...n-the-Bund-CCB

And for the "Shanghai Hills Hotel" slip, they were signed in the following location - just to make sure I didn't walk into a wannabe Park Hyatt:

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t...h/IMG_3182.jpg
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t...h/IMG_3183.jpg
Old Dec 21, 2011, 1:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jamar
If the "Jing An mall" is the one I think you're referring to (B1F of Jiuguang department store), then no, they don't. The acquirer there isn't known for DCC. I would love to know which China Mobile store took your Visa, though, because I've yet to see a single one that will.
Yes, you got it. They've told me many times they don't accept foreign cards, but it works. ^

I've been to probably 5-6 different 中国移动服务厅 locations in Shanghai, only 1 place seems to work and it only works on 2 of their terminals/stations. The rest do not work. In fact, one works really well. I can't explain it, I've tried and tried at other locations and it all gets rejected.

PM me and I can tell you where. It's a great thing to pay your bills via CC DCC free. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.